Newbie saying hello

MidLifeCrisis

As the name suggests I am returning to biking after a long 28 year break. I have rode various bikes from the age of 11 with a CR80 and ending with a CBR600 when I was 22. Problem I have to overcome is I lived abroad for most of that time with only 1.5 years in the UK on an NSR125 on a CBT (I think) so I have pass a full UK bike license. I have a ways to go before I can ride the bike I want and I'm just figuring out the best method to pass my license and deciding a suitable bike to start riding with the hope I can move up to a 600 and then a 1000cc.  

Any advice welcome on starting out and what I should do to avoid mistakes welcomed.   

• Like 1

to be honest things have moved on a great deal with weight, power/torque and handling since..a sports bike is a real track midget jockey dream but are you after that? ..also youve changed.

so really does a 150-250+hp animal really needed? no?

well a good strong just below to mid capability bike roadster/other style might just do the job? 

You should have no issues doing a das as for bike what ever floats your boat, do you need the 1000, 600 is almost as quick and a  lighter to flick around.

Are you after sports or commuter is it just for fun ?

Direct Access (DAS) is what you want. First you do a CBT and then you get to ride a 650cc on L plates with an instructor.  While this is going on, take your theory test. When you're ready, go for the full test (2 tests actually, mod1 and mod2) riding the 650cc. It's a bit pricey, as all the time you're on the road, you have to be with an instructor. But you can tailor the whole thing to suit you. If you've got the time to give to it, you can go from CBT to full licence in a week. But you can at whatever pace suits you.

Best thing to do is to phone a couple of schools and see which one you like the sound of.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...