Oldie wanting to return, advice needed

Muzz

Hi folks, I would be immensely grateful for your advice.

I am a fairly fit 60 yo, 6ft tall, 12.5 stone. I have not ridden a bike in 35 years, but with retirement looming I am looking to get back on the saddle. My last bike was a Honda CB400N (a bit staid I know, but I liked it), before that the ubiquitous 250N (the bike I had for longest).

I am looking for something fairly light I can bimble around the country lanes where I live in Hertfordshire on a nice Sunday, maybe stop off at a village pub, strictly to re-hydrate of course. Contemporary bikes all seem to be far larger, heavier and more powerful than I the 400 I had back in the day before marriage, car, mortgage, kids etc stopped my 2-wheeled fun. I am not after something that can blast past anything else on the road, I would certainly end up in a hedge in very short order if got something like that.

1) What bikes would you recommend for someone like me? No surprise I prefer the classic look. I have been looking at the Enfield Interceptor, but have serious reservations about its weight - its another 60lbs more than my last bike and seems more like an A-road cruiser and less suited to twisty lanes. Also, beautiful as it is, all that polished chrome and aluminium looks like a maintenance nightmare.

2) As I no longer have any of my gear (totally regret selling my Belstaff jacket and Bell helmet looking at current prices - but I am sure that it would all have shrunk in any case) - what brands can you recommend, given its occasional fair-weather intended use? Advice on full-face helmets would be especially welcome. Are cheaper polycarbonate helmets still considered a health risk?

You need a DRZ-400SM. It's light-weight 400, a single cylinder thumper and a proper blast at that. It's happiest on small lanes and handles perfectly on smaller A roads. It can do dual carriageways, but they're not its native territory. It's a tad tall in the saddle, so should suit you sir. You don't wash it; it's meant to look dirty.

For helmets, everything you see being sold by a regular seller is certified for use on the roads and is safe, even the cheaper ones. With the top brands you're mainly paying for more comfort. Caberg, HJC, Shark are all good helmets. Shoei, AGV and Schubert are more expensive.  But good fit is evreything, so best to buy from a real shop and get advice from the shop assistant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had a few HJCs. Nice wide view from the visor. Good venting. Altogether well made. 

If you lived near you could try my DRZ and ten minutes later you'd be a convert. But I can see if you've got your eye on an RE, it's a different vibe. 

Edited by bonio

Welcome Muzz, Why not go back to the cb400 or 250? Plenty on ebay reasonably priced, mine has been great (cb400nc 1983) and just right for bumbling around, I got mine with 22,000 on clock and with kind help of this forum its good as new,some you see have even less mileage,also so far parts been easy through david silver spares, helmet wise I went for nolan n100 with flip up front, just so I don't have to take helmet off to fuel,talk etc, but ride with it down,very reasonably priced, comfortable, but try as many as you can, everyone's head suit different makes, if your not near shop order through sportsbikeshop.co.uk, they have free delivery and easy returns (via dpd in local sainsbury's)and credited back really quickly, just take your time and enjoy

first thought was a triumph bonnie are the nearest thing to the RE Int, true classic still being made thats had soo many years of refinement, without the daft ott service intervals, trundle sunday best to the pub...

not too heavy (weight fairly low down) nor over powered nor a rev monster. any garage will fix or service it, manuals galore and good followers if you require advice. now a complex machine.

if you feel biking isnt right for you now the chances of losing much money is lower.

the only thing youll need to do is to sit on one to see if your body dimensions work for it? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Muzz said:

2) As I no longer have any of my gear (totally regret selling my Belstaff jacket and Bell helmet looking at current prices - but I am sure that it would all have shrunk in any case) - what brands can you recommend

Belstaff and Bell? Have a look at them on Sportsbikeshop.

both Bell and staffy are still trading,

staffy are not budget wise, bell are ok but not the best of class if compared like to like to some of competition.

ok if your head fits first and foremost!!!

as bonio said. hjc are good helmets worth considering. ls2 are ok but noise reduction and interior lining quality is middling at best.

A good designed and manufactured polycarbonate/injected mould helmets are ok (the eps has to deal with more lower shock frequency) if you stick to a good brand but just abit cheaper, cheap ones from a factory (mrp) id stay well clear rather than the good ones discounted...

16 hours ago, bonio said:

I've had a few HJCs. Nice wide view from the visor. Good venting. Altogether well made. 

If you lived near you could try my DRZ and ten minutes later you'd be a convert. But I can see if you've got your eye on an RE, it's a different vibe. 

I love the HJCs, been using them for about 10 years now. They fit my head better than other brands I’ve used over the years. I’ve got a full face HJC with a black visor (think I had that one when I joined you guys on a couple of trips) and an i90 which is decent.

Many thanks for all the great advice folks.

My wallet had a very painful weekend - I ended up buying a Shark helmet because for me it accommodates my glasses (and an intercom for when I do my advanced riders course). SportsBikeShop gave me a bit of a discount because I was buying a full kit, which took some of the sting off.

As for the bike, I visited 4 dealers. While I loved the thought of a repro-classic, actually trying a pre-loved Royal Enfield Interceptor confirmed my thoughts about its weight, it just felt too cumbersome. Also, lovely as it was, I quickly realised all that brightwork would become a maintenance chore. So in a complete about-face I am now looking for a pre-loved CB300R. I know I will probably outgrow it fairly quickly, but for me it would be cheap enough not to worry too much about dropping it, new enough to have all the rider aids I never had back in the day (rear disk brake, ABS+IMU, slipper clutch, LED lights), and light enough to boost my confidence while I get my chops back. 

• Like 2

Glad you've found helmet and bike that works for you, it has the reputation as a good beginners bike, so you'll be able to get your confidence up again, they also seem very reasonably priced for pre-loved and low mileage on most too, take your time and enjoy Muzz

• Like 1

Hi Muzz,

Apart from a few small details, you told my story too.

I'm 64, knackered, not riden for 20 years, 6ft and 16 stone 😉

I ended up with a Benelli 500 and it's spot on. I went to my local JS and £800 later walked out, fully kitted up.

The other day I took her out for the first time in the sunshine and came home with a huge silly grin on my face.

Good luck , head on a swivel 

• Like 3

On 25/03/2024 at 12:35, Muzz said:

my advanced riders course

When I was reading your post, I immediately thought that an advanced course would help you, so was glad to see that on your subsequent post.  I completed the IAM Roadsmart ‘course’ through BWAM (Bournemouth and Wessex Advanced Motorcyclists) and it was the best experience in terms of giving confidence in my ability to rides progressively and safely based on the conditions - not ignoring the obvious risks of blind cagers, that is.  Good luck with your return and ride safely.