Aftermarket exhaust & MOT?

Phil1

Got myself an aftermarket exhaust for my SV650. 

The plan was to fit it and then put the original one back on for the MOT each time. Since getting it though I've realised it needs the original exhaust cutting out to fit the new one so it's not that straightforward. 

What's the usual craic with taking a bike for an MOT with an aftermarket exhaust on it? Is it testers discretion etc? 

Does anyone else have an aftermarket on and have bother come MOT time? 

It does come with a baffle which I did plan on leaving in anyway. 

Its down to the MOT tester basically. I use an aftermarket exhaust and never change it. It doesn't need to have a kite mark or anything. It should also not say 'for race use only' or 'not for road use' which would give your tester an excuse to fail it. If it's sound and solid and not offensive it should pass.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/8-exhaust-noise#:~:text=The exhaust system and silencer,standard silencer in

• Like 1

no tester has paid the slightest notice to my exhaust. but it does have the baffle in which makes it road legal. and it wasn't marketed as 'not for road use'. it's a Scorpion. but it could as easily have been any brand that comes with a removable baffle. if its one that's designed from the outset to be very loud, like one of those stubby-short cans, then you might have a problem. its purely subjective on the part of the tester.

• Like 1

It does have a BSAU193/A mark on it, which seems to relate to "The Motor Cycle Silencer and Exhaust Systems Regulations 1995" so I'm assuming it has been tested to be road legal, plus it does say on the advert that it's road legal. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

it is as long as the baffle is in.

That's the plan anyway, not too fussed for loads of noise but more to make the bike look slightly more modern. The massive 90s bean tin style exhaust lets the bike down a bit in my opinion. 

• Like 1

You're worrying over nothing 

It's road legal with the baffle and illegal without the baffle not that that stops most testers from passing it! 

If you want to make sure it passes then just leave the baffle in at mot time 

• Like 1

The MOT says something about 90db or something, but when I've been chatting to the tester fellers, they've told me that none of them have the kit to measure how loud an exhaust is. So given yours has got the magic BS stamp, the only way they'll fail it if its so obnoxiously loud no-one would believe it's anything less than 120db. My old gixxer used to pass every time, even with its after-market jobbie that had no stamp and no baffle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Phil1 said:

New exhaust fitted, MOT passed. First time out in 2 years, so a bit wobbly the first half a mile to the petrol station. Soon settled in.

The new tyres (Michelin Road 6) are absolutely superb, certainly makes the bike feel 10x better with new tyres. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/oq2lCWUdSI0?feature=share

Nice  news to read Phil. 

Lovely shiny machine, great colour and sounds throaty, like it's going to roar. 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 1