Hi fellow bikers good to be back

OnlyYamahas

Hi everyone. 

Back to biking after seven years hope you can help because I'm confused about nodding.

Close to trashing my new/old FZ1 the other day , full on skid from middle of the road after panic breaking from middle line to kerb ending up touching car bumper in front, when nodding back as majority of bikers do this coming the other way I'm finding lately.

Should I concentrate fully on road ahead or nod  and is it rude not to.Commuted on all my other bikes with only occasional nods.

I know trivial but any solutions would be great.

So, I like the stick you right leg out option for acknowledging other bikers, used frequently on the other side of the water, means you keep both hands on the bars, which seems like a good thing IMO, and you can keep looking at where you would like to be on the road. On a busy biker day, I used to end up with neck cramps with all the nodding stuff, and if there is a line of bikers, do you nod at every biker, or ....

Just my thing I guess

8 minutes ago, Fender1515 said:

So, I like the stick you right leg out option for acknowledging other bikers, used frequently on the other side of the water, means you keep both hands on the bars, which seems like a good thing IMO, and you can keep looking at where you would like to be on the road. On a busy biker day, I used to end up with neck cramps with all the nodding stuff, and if there is a line of bikers, do you nod at every biker, or ....

Just my thing I guess

Sounds good didn't think of that.Even nodded at while filling up from bloke riding by.Cruiser rider and his better half both nodded aswell so I doubled nodded back.Car driver waved me past when I was filtering so gave him the thumbs up but on a bend so nearly lost it again on the roll on.

Suppose I'll nod ,shake a leg first probably safer.All good fun on a weekend biking just need to get used to riding the bike again.

41 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

You should absolutely concentrate on the nodding, it's rude not to, in fact, waving with the right hand would be great. 

Thanks I'm left handed probably safer..I think.

You serious? 

Ride your bike. Keep your hands on the bars and feet on the pegs. Nod once you've been doing that for a year without binning it.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Apologies if I've come across grumpy... 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bonio said:

You serious? 

Ride your bike. Keep your hands on the bars and feet on the pegs. Nod once you've been doing that for a year without binning it.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Apologies if I've come across grumpy... 

Thanks for the welcome.Its only my third time out on my new bike.I commuted on a Strad 600 and a couple of Dr650's earlier when on a bike with hi viz and a silver helmet ,was all town stuff though don't remember alot of near misses.Ist time out merc lady glanced at me ,paused,then pulled out I had to stamp on the anchors.Must learn how to brake again without sliding. Maybe weekends beginning of season it's all a bit dangerous, will have to ride slower I think but its a bit stressful back on a bike.

I think I've mixed this up with the White helmet thread ,wife pulloting my head with garden centre now lol,cheers all.

• Like 1

Give yourself some time on the road especially if you can find time when the roads are emptier. Relax your shoulders 👍

Why not look into doing a bikesafe course? They're usually running by coppers on bikes, and cover stuff on how to ride safely. At the end of it you get to ride with them and they give you feedback and tips. I did one years back and had a great time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fender1515 said:

Just my thing I guess

Also same here when I nearly ended up arse over  a Honda Jazz. It was when I nodded at the first of a line of bikers.Luckily I didn't follow down the line like I could have done and replied to other nods but got back to concentrating on road ahead.

Do you really shake a leg , I'm not convinced😆

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Oh, ummmmm, I actually thought this whole post was an April Fool ........

Haha wasn't meant that way , not a great forum user tbh ,and feel very new to biking again.Maybe should take the test again.  Its been 30 years😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnlyYamahas said:

Haha wasn't meant that way , not a great forum user tbh ,and feel very new to biking again.Maybe should take the test again.  Its been 30 years😄

You and me both. 

In that case, just concentrate on the riding, focus on looking where you are going, and your past experience will come back and operate the bike. 

I actually hold up my left hand as a brief hello gesture. 

Many moons ago bikers used to just flash their lights as they passed.

Instead of a nod as such try twisting your head to one side, like a glancing look, you can do it and still keep your eyes on the road, like a sideways nod, works for me.

I’m a great believer in a nod, a foot or and wave (sometimes even a salute if I’m feeling particularly feisty), but all of that takes a backseat to safety.  Riding with appropriate stopping distances and awareness of what’s going on around you should give you time to acknowledge another biker, but never at the expense of increasing the level of risk at any particular point.

I always think another rider mildly rude if there’s no friendly nod, but we all know the risks well enough.  Also, sometimes, people just aren’t in the mood…. All I can say is that if you happen to pass me, when you venture out to the south coast from Surrey, be assured of a warm and friendly greeting! 😀

• Like 1