NC 500 info please

Fender1515

I am going to ride the NC500 later this year, probably September, from home in West Yorkshire.

I have spent some time working, skiing, and walking in Scotland, so I know some stuff, midges, whisky etc.

Never been there on a bike.

I have found quite a few online guides for motorbike trip, interested in what guides/info  others have found useful.

I plan to take in all the quirky destinations and not just follow the main NC500 route.

Probably two week trip, will be B&B accommodation as too old for camping.

Thanks

• Like 2

I would make sure you know the condition of the roads.

Last time I went of a small part of the NC500 the roads were in miserable condition.

Forget about Applecross, used to be a magnificent place to visit and bow is a chain of potholes.

Some eejit thought was a good idea to advertise the NC500 and it's beautiful scenery. Unfortunately councils and whichever agency is responsible for the maintenance of the tarmac couldn't care less about it.

Be prepared for expensive B&B.

Although midges are free and you're welcome to take as many as you want :thumb:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, husoi said:

I would make sure you know the condition of the roads.

Last time I went of a small part of the NC500 the roads were in miserable condition.

Forget about Applecross, used to be a magnificent place to visit and bow is a chain of potholes.

Some eejit thought was a good idea to advertise the NC500 and it's beautiful scenery. Unfortunately councils and whichever agency is responsible for the maintenance of the tarmac couldn't care less about it.

Be prepared for expensive B&B.

Although midges are free and you're welcome to take as many as you want :thumb:

Hi Husoi,

And thanks for taking the time to reply, are there any particular roads on the route in addition to Applecross that you know off that have particularly bad road surfaces.

Whilst I stared falling of bikes aged 11 school boy scrambling,  I am keen to stay upright these days.

Thanks,

I haven't been on the west coast lately, do I can't really tell. 

I would guess the A roads will still be in a decent condition.

It would be the road from Ullapul to Durness that maybe you need to be weary because isn't a A road.

The road from Durness to thurso have amazing views 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

whatever you do .. book up .. every dickhead and his dog will be out there .. campervans dimwhits  .. lycra louts .. touring car w**kers .. dozy doris and her cousin in their 15 year old  nissan micra .. 

it will be rammed ,.. and expensive .. enjoy lol..  

I'm there now. Third time in a year. I got as far north as Applecross and then made my way down (now in Moffat). Weather has been really bad but today gave some respite as I made my way through the cairngorms. Roads are actually quite good and had only a few twitches through potholes etc. The oil rig now in the bay at Applecross is spectacular. I do think the coastal road from Applecross to Shieldag is worth a visit. Traffic not a problem at the moment. 

• Like 3

On 11/04/2024 at 18:09, veracocha said:

I'm there now. Third time in a year. I got as far north as Applecross and then made my way down (now in Moffat). Weather has been really bad but today gave some respite as I made my way through the cairngorms. Roads are actually quite good and had only a few twitches through potholes etc. The oil rig now in the bay at Applecross is spectacular. I do think the coastal road from Applecross to Shieldag is worth a visit. Traffic not a problem at the moment. 

Thanks for the feedback, I am keen to get up to Applecross, route to Shieldag noted and I am definitely going to ride through the Cairngorms, I have done a lot walking in that area, and would love to explore it again, but without a tent on my back.  Have a great trip

• Like 1

The Facebook group below is quite good, but I guess it's one of many. One comment that does seem to pop up quite often is people's tyres wearing out a lot quicker than they expected they would whilst on the route. I can't see why Scotland would use a more abrasive tarmac than anyone else, but people saying they thought they had enough tread, only to find out they didn't is a frequently mentioned comment.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NC500Bikers

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt Sisko said:

The Facebook group below is quite good, but I guess it's one of many. One comment that does seem to pop up quite often is people's tyres wearing out a lot quicker than they expected they would whilst on the route. I can't see why Scotland would use a more abrasive tarmac than anyone else, but people saying they thought they had enough tread, only to find out they didn't is a frequently mentioned comment.

It'll be to do with the amount of bloody rain they get there !

Don't know if this is true but l always thought it was the granite in the tarmac. I noticed the tyre wear myself and had a good look at the surfaces, that's what I put it down to anyway. Happy enough with the grip.

rain would reduce wear.

road chambers and undulations up there which most of the time people wouldn't notice has an influence on wear (as you're into the cusp of softer compounds more often even when you think you're upright.

the rougher the mac big gaps of large stones to finer ones inbetween increase this plus less fuzz and more slowing and fast speeding up just addes even more.

even the grade of Tmacs have influence.

its colder up there so oils generally stay put for longer so the binding is longer life so its less likely to flatten to a super slick glass surface.

Edited by RideWithStyles

22 hours ago, Capt Sisko said:

It is apparently to do with the granite used locally, due to availability. It is a hard wearing stone. I experienced increased tyre wear both times I did the NC500.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Throttled said:

It is apparently to do with the granite used locally, due to availability. It is a hard wearing stone. I experienced increased tyre wear both times I did the NC500.

Granite is definitely a factor in tyre wear.

Very poor quality of tarmac is another issue.

Then you add the twisted roads that you really ride probably a wee bit faster than would be wise to do...

• Like 2