Insurance - Performance Mods - Suspension.

Well I thought I would be very adult about renewing my insurance for the KTM and declaring everything as you should. I have never had any no claims to use for this policy, previously only having old shit bikes where I don't accrue them on a classic policy so when I bought the thing last year it was £410 ish. Renewal was £290 so that was a bit nicer.

Anyway, lets see if I can get that cheaper and do the usual renewal dance, only now it's not deliciously standard but pointlessly modified. Now they no longer want to deal with me but comparison ahoy at least gets me some quotes. Seems exhaust changes are basically no bother, but upgrade the suspenders and all of a sudden I'm a hooligan - back up to £450. So that's a shame.

In the end I called up my classic insurance job and they will do you a policy including modern conveyances as long as you have some old shit stuff too. And it turns out they assume you aren't necessarily a hooligan considering you have a garage full of crap. It's cheaper for the lot with them, declared mods to a classic and this KTM, with unlimited miles, legal, salvage retention, and European breakdown. It's still not cheap at £500 but that now includes 3 bikes on a classic for 2000 miles which was £200.

I don't know where I'm going with this but I'm happy I suppose, and fully legal! Wahooo! Look at me, mam!

• Like 5

European breakdown - absolutely frabjous. Congratulations to all concerned. Reading all that I was in the edge of my seat, poised at a moments notice to rush out and buy some travel sickness meds. Huge sighs of relief and a lowered risk of palpitations. No alcohol was consumed. 10/10

your mother must be so proud.

• Like 1

That's a good result, I must admit to not feeling the need to neither sit on the edge of my seat or rush out for anything.

I've a classic car policy that makes me think a s1 4.2 Jag would make a good car for nocking round the doors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallfrowne said:

I think I'll put all the savings made straight into champagne right away

I will keep that in mind the next time we are wandering the streets of Eperney late at night. 

Holy moly you guys got spring euphoria or what? 

anyway this is where the insurance muppets have no idea wtf they are doing or know the real reason or implications. a good example is its a safety requirement, at the poor end of reason its a policy holder with too much money and no idea to drain them of money...

Edited by RideWithStyles

11 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Holy moly you guys got spring euphoria or what? 

Hohooo and look at that the weather is going in to double digits again. Let's gooooo

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bonio said:

When did you get your Daytona, @smallfrowne??? Do we get to see pics?

Errr it's a bit of a fugly project really that I got a couple of years ago. It's on the list though, exhaust has been welded and I've got a set of samco hoses for it. I'd be too ashamed to show you the pictures. It's done 50k and was used for commuting into London, so a right nail really.

• Like 1

It's my all-time dream bike that I'll never own. They're stunning to look at and sound wild.