Life of 2 stroke oil if sat in expansion tank for 2 years

Mrmarko

Posted (edited)

Just what @RideWithStylessays

It'll seem like a pain in the rear to do, but all you have to do is find the little pipe at the bottom of the tank , and drain it into a drinks bottle. 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Thanks 1

I can’t see why it would be a problem?  It’s oil. It was hundreds of millions of years old before it went in the tank … yeah I know it’s probably semi synthetic these days but you get my point. I would just use it without too much thought. 

2 minutes ago, Tinkicker said:

Ooh goody.   An oil thread. :popcorn:

That's not enough, don't leave us hanging...

As an engineer/proper mechanic, we need your opinion...

I have some oil l bought for my Suzuki in the shed, been there 10 years. Looks as good as new to me, doesn't smell off, it hasn't separated, feels good to the touch.

I use it in my oiling can, l reckon it'll last for years. I would be wary of using it in the bike though l don't know why.

• Like 2

No sirree bob.  Getting into an oil thread is like swimming in a pool of crocodiles.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

I have some oil l bought for my Suzuki in the shed, been there 10 years. Looks as good as new to me, doesn't smell off, it hasn't separated, feels good to the touch.

I use it in my oiling can, l reckon it'll last for years. I would be wary of using it in the bike though l don't know why.

I have a bottle like that too.  I use it on my lawnmower and it is still happily chugging along. Wouldn't let it near any actual vehicles though :lol:

On 23/05/2024 at 16:37, Simon Davey said:

That's not enough, don't leave us hanging...

As an engineer/proper mechanic, we need your opinion...

not wishing to add fuel to the fire but at my work place with two chemists (as close youll get to very specific tribologist) i work closely with like to remind colleagues, additives in stock based suspension can and will degrade even with perfect storage conditions even prior to customer service (solvent, water and oil based are not immune) not including in storage for mid tier process before any or each process to have a knock on impact before customer applications with low or no storage time (corporate and public), so adding any additional variables adds up.

So to ask, how old was the oil prior to buying, was it sat in a warm humid area? was it questionable storage prior and after sell, how well sealed was it?(air,water/moisture,light/uv,heat/cold?), what additives are in there and how much? what was each purpose? which gets effected by what? and how long is its life serving? did it go through service cycles before hand? (heat,light,moisture, vibration etc), how well insulated was it really while in the bikes tank? two years wof winter and summers in a shed...

additive compounds are very tiny though not as much as what suspense them so their molecular structure are more likely to be broken down that solely benefits them and you wont be able to see it just by looking at it with the MK1eyeball, its a bit like food the more you add for benefits the more it needs care and stability but we're getting way a head of our selfs.

there is even the argument of to pre fill an oil filter or not......

two stokes are fragile at best so to cheap out on something essential and cheap...

safe advice would be to just change it for fresh.

if the user doesn't fine do it fine, you choose it as what risk you're prepared to make, from non (engine didnt go pop), little (maybe there are small wear on the inside), mid (very evident on a full strip) or high (close time lap in the failure) due to a variable being the individual unit specs, service, history, individual circumstances.

not being argumentative as i don't benefit from it, just putting it forward for others to make their mind up with facts.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

not wishing to add fuel to the fire but at my work place with two chemists (as close youll get to very specific tribologist) i work closely with like to remind colleagues, additives in stock based suspension can and will degrade even with perfect storage conditions even prior to customer service (solvent, water and oil based are not immune) not including in storage for mid tier process before any or each process to have a knock on impact before customer applications with low or no storage time (corporate and public), so adding any additional variables adds up.

So to ask, how old was the oil prior to buying, was it sat in a warm humid area? was it questionable storage prior and after sell, how well sealed was it?(air,water/moisture,light/uv,heat/cold?), what additives are in there and how much? what was each purpose? which gets effected by what? and how long is its life serving? did it go through service cycles before hand? (heat,light,moisture, vibration etc), how well insulated was it really while in the bikes tank? two years wof winter and summers in a shed...

additive compounds are very tiny though not as much as what suspense them so their molecular structure are more likely to be broken down that solely benefits them and you wont be able to see it just by looking at it with the MK1eyeball, its a bit like food the more you add for benefits the more it needs care and stability but we're getting way a head of our selfs.

there is even the argument of to pre fill an oil filter or not......

two stokes are fragile at best so to cheap out on something essential and cheap...

safe advice would be to just change it for fresh.

if the user doesn't fine do it fine, you choose it as what risk you're prepared to make, from non (engine didnt go pop), little (maybe there are small wear on the inside), mid (very evident on a full strip) or high (close time lap in the failure) due to a variable being the individual unit specs, service, history, individual circumstances.

not being argumentative as i don't benefit from it, just putting it forward for others to make their mind up with facts.

I’m not meaning to be argumentative. And I’m not a chemist. I’m sure your information is correct. But surely there is a massive difference between oil to be used in a suspension set up. And two stroke oil added to fuel.  Personally I can’t imagine that the basic properties of the oil would diminish due to a bit of storage. I agree that the additives might become less effective. Although I reckon that’s unlikely. And I believe the additives are more about clean running and emissions than anything else. 

We store system oils for years and have no issues. Oils don't generally degrade provided they are not contaminated with a foreign substance.

Shelf life of 2 stroke oil in a sealed container is 5 years. If opened its down to around 2 years. Mixed with petrol it should be used within 2 or 3 months. 

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic. But not entirely. I used to have a 2 stroke outboard motor. And marine grade 2 stroke oil is available. Highly recommended by manufacturers and on boaty forums etc. .… of course it is double the price of anything you might put in a motorbike engine. It is claimed that because the marine environment is a harsh one that special oil is needed. Never believed a word of it myself. The environment outside the engine might be severe. But inside not a lot of difference to the average lawnmower I reckon … I always used some standard 2 stroke oil. Caused no issues as far as I could tell. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you know it’s a good quality oil, Castrol or the like, I’d say it would probably be ok.

If it’s cheap sh1t I’d probably change it.

Ive just run my 380 on the road ,first time for more than a year, the oil in it must be at least 5 yrs old, if not more.

A litre of Castrol from Halfords is a tenner.

Edited by Bianco2564
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Davidtav said:

Slightly off topic. But not entirely. I used to have a 2 stroke outboard motor. etc etc

.… of course it is double the price

Fool & Money spring to mind.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 1

Anything boat related is mysteriously more expensive than standard. It's ridiculous although you can sometimes get good deals.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Davidtav said:

I’m not meaning to be argumentative. And I’m not a chemist. I’m sure your information is correct. But surely there is a massive difference between oil to be used in a suspension set up. And two stroke oil added to fuel.  Personally I can’t imagine that the basic properties of the oil would diminish due to a bit of storage. I agree that the additives might become less effective. Although I reckon that’s unlikely. And I believe the additives are more about clean running and emissions than anything else. 

directly contradicts, question has been asked and its been answered.

suspension is a word used as the additive is held in the oil! not  suspension fluid which is a different matter with different oils and totality different additives which i would have directly implied if we was talking about suspension but we are not. fuel, engine 2strk and 4strk are very different beasts, suspension oils are very different products for different reasons and specs.

i have shared information but will not talk any more onthe matter as opinion is very much masking the issue and will no longer be of benefit.

Edited by RideWithStyles

Drain it & have a look, different oils behave differently sat in a tank, firstly you need to confirm that it's 2 stroke, then make sure it isn't cloudy as some oil is Hydroscopic.

If in doubt bin it, a bottle of oil is less than an engine rebuild.