Which deal would you go for? Update: The deal I went for!

PMC

<t>Which would you go for</t>  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you go for

• CHEAPER ('04, 35K, £3000)
    • NEWER ('08, 2.5K, £5500)

Catherine and I are planning a 2 week summer holiday biking trip to france... and I just don't think the GS500 looks the part! 8-)

So I am looking for new bike. I love being able to get round London quickly, it cuts my commute in half. I love being able to get away for a weekend too.

Commuting and touring being the priorities, I have been looking at VFR800's (as well as Sprint ST, F800ST or even a CBR600F). I have sat on all the above, and prefer the VFR, not taken any for a ride yet, but I'm going out on one in the next week.

This is all a round about way to ask, given the choice of two VFR's which would you go for:

Guy at work selling an '04 in blue with 35K+ on the clock, apparently good condition for about £3,000... or ...

Local dealer has an '08 in black with 2.5K on the clock for £5,500 and willing to do a deal on some accessories I want.

Both appear to be decent deals - the newer one is £3,000 of the list price, and seems to be a steal, but the older one is cheaper than similar bikes on Biketrader and I could do a lot with the £2,500 difference.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the '04 and '08 models is an improved fuel mapping/VTEC timing (any owner opinions on the improvement or VTEC generally greatly appreciated too)

What would you plump for?

Edited by PMC

I've voted for newer, the mileage is a bit high on the older 1.

I had 2 much older vfr 750's, brilliant bikes!

I have read some stuff about the vtec bikes being expensive to service and the vtec being a bit on or off. Can't say from personal experience though.

most recent road tests suggest that the triumph is a better bike.

still think i'd go for the honda though.

ideally you should ride a vfr and the triumph before deciding

Thanks for the replies. I am aware many people think the Sprint is a better bike, however I felt more comfortable sitting on the VFR - its smaller. I will try and ride a Sprint too if I can.

So no-one thinks I should save £2500 and get the higher mileage bike? That would cover at least the first couple of services on a VFR :D :roll: Might even be able to afford an Autocom and SatNav...

It boils down to how much money have you got? For me it's a no brainer, budgets are tight and I'd HAVE to go for the cheaper one but obviously I'd want the newer one if I had the cash.

Wish I had the choise to be honest. :D

It boils down to how much money have you got? For me it's a no brainer, budgets are tight and I'd HAVE to go for the cheaper one but obviously I'd want the newer one if I had the cash.

Wish I had the choise to be honest. :D

I am lucky to have the choice (so long as I manage to not get made redundant... note to self, don't spend all day on TMBF!), for me its all about value. I can afford it, but only if its going to be a keeper for a least a few years - I guess that's another argument in favour of the newer option. My original budget last year was £4000 for my first bike, I nearly bought a new ER6-F, but took the sensible option and got a £950 GS500 - glad I did, I dropped it within a couple of weeks and now I can look at getting a better steed.

If you can afford the newer one, then it is an absolute no brainer. You get the warranty, extras and you know that for a few years you will not have any problems. Go fo the newer one.

I myself ride a Sprint ST and it is just great.

So no-one thinks I should save £2500 and get the higher mileage bike? That would cover at least the first couple of services on a VFR Might even be able to afford an Autocom and SatNav...

Id depends what you want? Would you rather have an older bike with loads of toys, or a newer bike thats going to feel more tight being newer?

Of course everyone is going to say the newer option, because it's not our money. At the end of the day, buy the bike you're happy with, you're the one thats going to be riding it.

If you can afford the newer one, then it is an absolute no brainer. You get the warranty, extras and you know that for a few years you will not have any problems. Go fo the newer one.

:stupid:

VFR's are solid and there is little difference between the looks of the bike between the ages youve given.

I would have gone for the cheaper one as if its lasted that long and still going strong then its probably going to keep going strong for a very long time yet. But the newer one is also a steal for the price and thinking in terms of moving on from this bike in a few years i reckon that you should go for it seeing as this recession is going to flip on it self in a few years and then you'll be able to sell that bike with very little depreciation and get alot of your money back on it.

Also because Honda's tend to be the more expensive bikes down to the quality and the brand you get for that money you could buy a brand new Suzuki SV1000. Friend of mine has one and philgale has the 650 version and supposedly the 1000 is meant to be a very good tourer though the depreciation on it will be more. Depends what you are looking for in a bike I spose.

Though if you have a choice between the Triumph and the Honda for touring especially it has to be the triumph. They are just much better bikes for the job.

Thought you might be interested in a couple of pics of the blue 2004 bike... it does look in good condition, though I haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

http://www.picturebay.net/img/guests/1701943252/IMGP0792.JPG

http://www.picturebay.net/img/guests/1701943252/IMGP0796.JPG

The VFR is an awesome machine. Personally m8, I'd go for the newer one. Satnav and autocom can wait.

Use a map, and teach the missus sign language.....

SMC Sheffield had a VFR800 I think 2004, 8K on the clock, immaculate condition for 4000 quid. I reckon that's a better deal. I test rode it and nearly got it then got a new one for the warranty etc etc. I'm really pleased with it. I test rode the Sprint - also v nice, but decided I preferred the VFR.

differences between different years here:

http://www.v-four.freeserve.co.uk/vfr800vtec.htm

Glad you like it... got any specific feedback? I guess the things, if any, which you've found not to be ideal are of most use. I've got a test ride booked for Friday. Hope they still have it. I am leaning toward the '08 bike, but I'm seeing the older one tomorrow.

Well I can only compare it with my previous BMW f800s. It's heavier, but still feels nimble and easy to ride slowly through traffic. It feels slightly more upright to ride, less strain on the wrists.

The engine note is amazing - the f800s was OK, but was like Michael Ball, whereas the VFR in like Luciano Pavarotti turning it up to eleven!

build quality is immaculate, and feels "just right"

I've got the standard top box, which is a bit bulbous, but then they all are - it's very functional though.

I'll probably get a 2 year service contract - works out cheaper..

I've added R&G crash bungs, which look v neat and hopefully will never be used....

I voted for the newer version for the obvious reasons but when I scrolled down

and saw the 04 bike I kind of wanted to change my mind but common sense says

go for the newer one.

Guest philgale

go newer, an 04 plate may seem quite new but its 5 years old now :shock: time goes so fast :lol:

get the new one and keep it longer. if you get the older one then go touring on it the miles will go sky high then you start getting issues

VFR will run forever if looked after. 35K is just when the engine starts to loosen up and perform at its best. I don't understand this fixation with newer is better. 8-)

+1 to that; Me neither Colin, i honestly think you get better value for money with an older bike.

For example, I recently bought a perfectly good N-reg CB500 with 45K on the clocks for £795, from a dealer. Yes, it is the bike i've been having loads of issues with. OK, possibly not a good example for that reason (thing to note though, is that almost all the issues WERE present at the time of buying and i was just a mug for not checking it before putting my money down (put down deposit before looking, oops) - if i'd been more careful/knowledgeable i could've found a good bike for a low price).

Piping in a bit late on this thread, but personally I'd definitely go for the newer bike on the basis of value for money.

First, my time is valuable and no matter how you look at it, the older bike with 35k is going to need more service attention sooner than the newer bike (not for regularly scheduled services but for things that just wear out, e.g., the battery, tyres, brakes, suspension, etc.), which take time and effort to sort. This will also cost ££ relative to the new bike spread across the miles you put on it.

Second, the difference valuation in the bikes is not really the difference in what you might pay for them, but the difference in what you will get for them when you sell them on and how much you'll pay in upkeep. All other things being equal, the older bike will be more expensive to keep because of existing wear on parts that will need replacing while you own it. Depreciation we might assume will be similar *to a point*, with older bikes in good shape maintaining their value after a while usually.

I think it also depends on how long you'll keep the bike for. If you only want it for your summer holiday and plan to sell it on, neither bike will change much in value (I'd still have the newer bike in this case). If you plan to keep it a long long time, I think it would be better value to go newer.

Tell us what you decide! :D

So, I've been for a ride on the '08 bike. What a difference from the 14 year old, two pot, GS500!

Today I have learnt two things which are not at all specific to the VFR. First I understand now what people mean when they say 4 cylinders are smoother than 2 - it felt like the bike didn't vibrate at all.

Second the GS is far too small for me! Getting back on it to leave the shop, I felt like I had my knees round my ears! Not to mention the generall looseness and sagginess which comes with age.

All in all a very positive ride, I like the bike. Dual carrageway riding is a whole new world of comfort compared to a naked bike and boy can it shift. I like the size of the VFR, the Sprint felt too big for me. Also, from what I had read I was expecting a much more noticeable VTEC valve change... I only got it to kick in a couple of times, and all I noticed what an improvement in the sound track :lol:

I just have to decide whether to buy it or not now... next stop insurance quotes :?

Well I did it!

I bought the black '08 VFR800. I was a little disappointed the shop couldn't do a better deal on the luggage - all they would offer was free fitting. The full set of luggage would have cost £970... I guess I'll be looking on fleabay. :?

Anyway, the bike is great, I love it. Here are a couple of quick snaps... not great, but I've been too busy riding it :D

http://www.picturebay.net/img/guests/8227180199/IMG_2719.JPG

You've gotta love single-sided swing arms 8-)

http://www.picturebay.net/img/guests/8227180199/IMG_2718.JPG