FZ6 broken down, please help if you can

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

So one week in and the bike broke down on way to work today. Has been fine then was doing around 30mph and lost all drive. Its can select a gear but when I let the clutch it just revs. Noise coming from front sprocket so opened the cover, (please see pic) it very wobbly and isn't sitting in the teeth/cog, almost as though I can pull it out. Could this be related?

http://http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/IMG_20161007_105351027.jpg

any ideas to help out a beginner? thanks all!

Edited by Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

I can't see the pic but the front sprocket should not wobble!!!! tighten that thing up quick!!

edit - ok sorry just saw the link.... has... has the nut completely fallen off? should look like this

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/attachments/fz6-fz6r/95906d1156438668-sprocket-nut-washer-one-sm_dsc01823.jpg

I can't see the pic but the front sprocket should not wobble!!!! tighten that thing up quick!!

edit - ok sorry just saw the link.... has... has the nut completely fallen off? should look like this

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/attachments/fz6-fz6r/95906d1156438668-sprocket-nut-washer-one-sm_dsc01823.jpg

Yes there is no nut at all. That pic is exactly how it was when I took cover off.

Geez, ok so they come just come off?

They really shouldn't! But the OH has an R6 and it's a known fault they work themselves loose so as part of his maintenance he takes the cover off and makes sure it's nice and tight.

Call the dealer. This should have been checked before they gave it to you (especially as it's known on yammys!) Also you (/the dealer) needs to make sure that nut isn't floating around somewhere it shouldn't be

That's shite service from the dealer. They (and you too of course!) are lucky that you didn't come off a lot worse. I would let them know that.

In all the years I have been riding and working on bikes I have never known one to work loose

as for the fix its a case of putting the sprocket back on the splines and putting a new nut on and tightening it up properly

In all the years I have been riding and working on bikes I have never known one to work loose

as for the fix its a case of putting the sprocket back on the splines and putting a new nut on and tightening it up properly

Google loose FZ6 / R6 sprocket loose you will see the nuts failing is a worryingly common thing! :shock:

Google loose FZ6 / R6 sprocket loose you will see the nuts failing is a worryingly common thing! :shock:

I'm not saying its not a common problem on the fazer/R6

I am just stating a fact that I have never known one to come loose in all the years I have worked on bikes as in all the bikes I have worked on :wink:

Wait, what? People who own Fazers may well have a screw loose or be off their nut? Well, now that you mention it... :lol:

And I can certainly think of a few who lost their nuts, but I don't think it was a dealer that took them :lol:

I'm not saying its not a common problem on the fazer/R6

I am just stating a fact that I have never known one to come loose in all the years I have worked on bikes as in all the bikes I have worked on :wink:

Well I'm not saying that you're not saying that it's not common :roll: I'm just saying it's true :lol:

the clutch is engaging

but because the sprocket has come off the output shaft you are getting no drive the output shaft will just be spinning and not driving the sprocket

as I said put the sprocket back on the shaft and put a nut on and all will work

the problem is this could have come off anytime! it could have been today yesterday last week or 6 months ago!

The sprocket wouldn't necessarily come off straight away

Its a yamaha not a BMW not much else will go wrong :lol:

Don't they have a washer between the sprocket and nut that you bend up onto one of the flats on the nut to stop it coming undone?.......there's certainly one on the front sprocket on my Speedy..... 8-)