Full service. What does it include, and what can I do?

Guest CobbZ

Hi all, I'm wanting to do a full service on my bandit as it didn't come with any service history at all!

I know the basics like oil, oil filter, air filter... And could do this myself. But I know nothing about valves, carb balancing and the likes... What else needs doing?

Dealer just quoted me £400 for everything lol, and I'm not paying that!!!

Hi all, I'm wanting to do a full service on my bandit as it didn't come with any service history at all!

I know the basics like oil, oil filter, air filter... And could do this myself. But I know nothing about valves, carb balancing and the likes... What else needs doing?

Dealer just quoted me £400 for everything lol, and I'm not paying that!!!

Buy a service kit off ebay .. i was suprised at how much they are alone tbh but it does include air/oil filters, spark plugs, new oil and sump plug sometimes ...

valves .. fook knows, and carb balancing again .. fook knows, probs best with a garage for that.

Valve clearance checks and carb balance are easy mate. Valves are easy to check with feeler gauges, reshimming needs a bit more thought. Carb balancing is easy with a set of 50 quid gauges. If you decide to do either I can talk you through it. As already said a Hayes manual is your friend.

Cheers Megawatt! Thanks very much for the offer, and one day i might take u up on it, but for now I think i'm gonna leave it to the garage, cos any shimming would be out of my league and if i'd have to spend £50 on guages, its not saving any money really :P

I am a little bit dubious that you will get carbs and valves done for £80. Perhaps they meant the valve clearances checked only. Adjusting clearances is a whole different job. Good luck with it anyway :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am a little bit dubious that you will get carbs and valves done for £80. Perhaps they meant the valve clearances checked only. Adjusting clearances is a whole different job. Good luck with it anyway :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have to agree with this, I got quoted 125 for valves doing, but that was a zx6r

Does the bandit have wooden wedge shims :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure that checking the valve clearances (adjusting them in the case of shims.. not so much) and balancing the carbs is quite easy with aid of a manual, and certainly not too fiddly to DIY.

You can also get a pair of evilbay carb gauges for 20 quid or so if you're desperate to do it on the cheap, but i've read that it can make your life harder than getting the higher quality 4 gauge CarbTune ones (£55) and you'll only end up buying the CarbTunes later anyway :wink:

So yes, you won't save much money this time, but the next time, and the time after, and after that, you will :D (i know my bike alone should have its carbs synced yearly - that'll soon add up in labour!)

Have just bought CarbTune myself (it's what the mechanic who balanced the carbs on my bike, over 18 months ago :oops: was using) and so i think i'll send megawatt a PM in the cheeky hope of a quick tip or two :lol:

Couldn't remember if Bandits were screw and locknut? They are pi$$ easy to do. I used a big clock key about 4mm square I think. I recommend anybody to do their own servicing. It's easy, it's cheaper and it's very rewarding. If anybody needs details on valve clearance checking and setting I will type out a how to. Main thing is buy a Haynes manual, that's how I learned. How ya doin with yours Ingah??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I can do some pix with a spare engine, head and cams I've got? My motor is pretty good at the moment. I'll have a go after I've done Mikey's zorst. If anyone is desperate for info PM your number for a chat. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

When do you usually need to check valves/shims etc. is it after a certain amount of miles. Was going to look at mine, but bike hasnt done massive amount of miles so not sure if its worth it yet..

Edit: Also balancing the carbs.. :mrgreen: