How slow is the YBR125?

Muchachas

Am picking up a new one at the weekend. Have ridden a CG125 and used to own a GS125. Thought the YBR was about the same and bought it on that basis, but am now reading that it is incredibly slow.

Will it cruise at 55mph? And is 65 actually possible for anyone who isn't 17 years old and 10 stone?

Really beginning to think I've made a mistake.

Am picking up a new one at the weekend. Have ridden a CG125 and used to own a GS125. Thought the YBR was about the same and bought it on that basis, but am now reading that it is incredibly slow.

Will it cruise at 55mph? And is 65 actually possible for anyone who isn't 17 years old and 10 stone?

Really beginning to think I've made a mistake.

I believe it has a few % more torque than a CG125. Basically in the real world, i've been led to expect it'll perform identically to the CG.

If it's not going well, then it probably just needs a good thorough service more than anything.

Depends what you want it for. I bought my YBR new in January and can tell you without doubt that it sits very happily at 50mph on the rare occasions I get to take it on the open road.

Would I want to push it much beyond that for long periods? No.

How does it perform in close traffic when I need to get away from lights and move swiftly from dumb arses in jeans, tshirts and trainers? Nippy enough.

I ride through central Lindon twice a day so open road riding isn't a big deal.

Btw, I'm 46, 6ft tall and weigh 13st.

I bought it to get some miles under my belt (haven't ridden for 12 years), pass my Mod 2 and get to work and back. Most will be town riding, but would like to take it to the coast every now and again.

Had considered waiting until I passed my test (am only doing the restricted test due to budget) and then getting a 250 but from what I've seen, the extra cost for the CBF250 or YBR250 doesn't really justify itself performance wise.

Hopefully in two years, my YBR will have kept a decent value on trade in, should I get something bigger.

Pretty much why I went for the YBR apart from the fact that it was 32 years since I'd got on a moped.

I passed Mod 1 last week and have Mod 2 on June 9.

Everything I've been told and read makes me believe the YBR will hold its value when I come to sell it.

Bottom line, don't dismiss it based on others' experiences. Wait and see if it works for you. If not, you'll find a buyer.

I have read enough to be sure there is a difference between bikes, whether Honda or Yamaha and some just seem to be a bit faster than others. But as said it is within 5mph. i do not believe people who say they have had 70mph out of their bikes, or their speedo is wrong.

I am 6'2" and weigh 16 stone and cruise at 50mph and get to 60mph at times on my YBR. As I have gained experience on the bike I am now going faster as I am getting the hang of keeping up impetus through corners and slipstreaming others. That has added a few mph to my speed.

I'm about 20 stone! been riding years!

both Sue and my son have YBR's.

I've ridden them both for various reasons

(MOT etc)

even with me on they will easily reach 50/55 mph

not sure you could call it cruising though!

the fastest I managed to get was about 68!

The 2 biggest things I noticed were the feeble brakes

and even more feeble headlight!

really it depends on what you're comparing it to,

compare it to a 500/600 etc it's slow!

compare it to other 125's it's fine!

they're also surprisingly comfortable :lol:

I'm about 20 stone! been riding years!

both Sue and my son have YBR's.

I've ridden them both for various reasons

(MOT etc)

even with me on they will easily reach 50/55 mph

not sure you could call it cruising though!

the fastest I managed to get was about 68!

The 2 biggest things I noticed were the feeble brakes

and even more feeble headlight!

really it depends on what you're comparing it to,

compare it to a 500/600 etc it's slow!

compare it to other 125's it's fine!

they're also surprisingly comfortable :lol:

Ian, I think you're spot on except I don't share your experience of the brakes and headlight.

I passed my Mod 1 on an ER-6 and have been taking lessons on it and of course, a 125 feels like a toy bike by comparison but as I said above, it's perfect for my 17-mile commute from south-east London to west London.

Does everything I need :D

Very good bike compared to some of the 125's on the market, just ask edgey :lol:

I rode one for my lessons and I weigh 14 stone and it did 65 at a push.

I take it you on L plates so your not allowed on roads that do more than 60 anyway :D

I can get 70mph easily on a straight road with the wind behind me, have got up to about 73mph tops (I weigh about 10st), but it's not happy for cruising at that speed. It's fine at around 50mph, anything faster and you feel the strain - but then you probably would on most 125s. I think it's a great learner bike and even commuter as it does fab mpg, and is a very easy bike to ride. Personally I couldn't have got a better bike to learn on :)

Yes, there is a strong consensus about fitting Michelin Sportys. As for a hallogen upgrade, I don't know, but just changing from a 35 to 45 watt bulb helped.

Does the higher wattage bulb have any effect on the electricals? I had read it was strained anyway and batteries needed to be charged regularly.

Does the higher wattage bulb have any effect on the electricals? I had read it was strained anyway and batteries needed to be charged regularly.

I have not charged my battery since I bought the bike last July, it was not used from October and started first time when I took it out in March.

OTH I have a new Gladius, it's been ridden three times, left for a few weeks and the battery was dead flat :?

Ive had one since november and have done a 1000 miles on it (had like 4 months off due to a crash tho).

Heres my view...

Its fast enough.

Its a commuter bike... its cheap to run and very reliable.

I am about 16 stone and i have had no problem getting to 65 on it. Sometimes more.

It pulls away nicely, you wont be holding up traffic unless people want to go above 60mph in which case you might be....

Halogen bulb makes the light 10x better and you can get it done with change from 20 quid maybe even 15.

As for tyres, ive used mine in all kinds of weather and conditions and to be honest i was fine, you just have to ride to the conditions, dont push your luck, falling off hurts.

I am considering the upgrade to michelin pilot sportys but ive been quoted 150 quid which is a lot of money.

It really does depend on the wind direction, I wouldnt go far distances with a pillion on it, 70MPH would be verging on red line. Ive done many motorway miles on a ybr, no complaints, just sit in lane 1, and it can go all day like that.

TBH, I think learner legal 125s are much of a muchness! I had a varadero XL125 as a learner, I think it had as many BHP as you're allowed with L-plates, and it would just (and i mean *just*) get to an indicated speed of between 70 and 75 if I laid flat on the tank, with a tailwind. The engine didn't sound happy though! I rode it all the way down the M27 and A27 from Porstmouth to near Dorchester to p/x it for the SV - the journey out was terrifying, but the journey back was one big ear-to-ear grin!

Well, rode it from Hull to York today and although I couldn't go much over 40, and was scrubbing in those Chinese tyres, it still felt capable. Looking forward to getting some miles on the clock. Very comfortable riding position. Hopefully once I get the l plates off next month a few bikers might nod ;)

Well, rode it from Hull to York today and although I couldn't go much over 40, and was scrubbing in those Chinese tyres, it still felt capable. Looking forward to getting some miles on the clock. Very comfortable riding position. Hopefully once I get the l plates off next month a few bikers might nod ;)

I tend to get the nod even with L plates.

Does your YBR have after market tyres?

Because my YBR is japanese not chinese.