How slow is the YBR125?

Muchachas

Ben"]
Well, rode it from Hull to York today and although I couldn't go much over 40, and was scrubbing in those Chinese tyres, it still felt capable. Looking forward to getting some miles on the clock. Very comfortable riding position. Hopefully once I get the l plates off next month a few bikers might nod ;)

I tend to get the nod even with L plates.

Does your YBR have after market tyres?

Because my YBR is japanese not chinese.

I'm pretty sure mine's Chinese. I'll be honest, I thought they all were. Bought the bike new, so they're stock tyres.

I'm pretty sure mine's Chinese. I'll be honest, I thought they all were. Bought the bike new, so they're stock tyres.

I've heard the stock tyres are pretty terrible. Now i know why :lol:

Well Yamahas are japanese. As for where the stock tyres come from, I have no idea.

If your bike is new (as is mine), then the tyres are 10x better than on the older model Yamaha YBRs, but still the michelin pilot sporty upgrade is still suppose to be the best.

Ben"]Well Yamahas are japanese. As for where the stock tyres come from, I have no idea.

If your bike is new (as is mine), then the tyres are 10x better than on the older model Yamaha YBRs, but still the michelin pilot sporty upgrade is still suppose to be the best.

Sorry, when I said Chinese, I meant it's a genuine yamaha, but made in their Chinese factory rather than japan. Glad to hear that the newer tyres are much better though. I'll give them a going over once I've got a few miles on them.

Soon got past the 90 mile mark, which according to the handbook lets me use 6000 rpm, which was about 50mph. Still another 3000rpm to go, so very pleased. Great bike so far, but has a tendency to tramline -new tyres definitely needed.

im not sure if i have the origional tyres as the bike has had 2 previous owners, but as the last owner hadnt rode it and it was kept in a garage, and it didnt look very well maintained, I would say mine are stock too and honestly i dont see why people are saying they are bad. I have only recently had the guts to lean it right over because of the reviews i have heard and i didnt want to come off, even leaning in the wet is fine. I have the 59 version, so im not sure if its the ones that are older than that which are meant to have bad tyres or what?

Soon got past the 90 mile mark, which according to the handbook lets me use 6000 rpm, which was about 50mph. Still another 3000rpm to go, so very pleased. Great bike so far, but has a tendency to tramline -new tyres definitely needed.

What do you mean by the bike has a tendency to *SHIVERS* tramline?

Anyone know what this means?

Edited by [ENG]Ben

Sue's has chinese tyres on!

seem up to the job to me!

without being condescending I doubt that new,

16/17 year old riders would be able to find the tyre's limits! :lol:

tbh i would agree, but only because the cars drive so bloody slow... they all seem to slow down for corners :roll: (i mean slow down too much to get any significant lean)

Ben"]

"tramlines on the road", the road damage or grooves and ruts left by HGVs/tractors etc which can take you off course a bit. Not nice, but a common problem with thin wheels.

Sue's has chinese tyres on!

seem up to the job to me!

without being condescending I doubt that new,

16/17 year old riders would be able to find the tyre's limits! :lol:

I'm well over 35 and have had bikes since I was 17...maybe I'm just a crap rider! :)

Ben"]
Soon got past the 90 mile mark' date=' which according to the handbook lets me use 6000 rpm, which was about 50mph. Still another 3000rpm to go, so very pleased. Great bike so far, but has a tendency to tramline -new tyres definitely needed.[/quote']

"tramlines on the road", the road damage or grooves and ruts left by HGVs/tractors etc which can take you off course a bit. Not nice, but a common problem with thin wheels.

oh, yea had that. Had one that almost shot me into the curb at 40mph. pedestrians on the pavement infront of me at the time aswell. scared the bejeezus out of me!

Ben"]
Soon got past the 90 mile mark' date=' which according to the handbook lets me use 6000 rpm, which was about 50mph. Still another 3000rpm to go, so very pleased. Great bike so far, but has a tendency to tramline -new tyres definitely needed.[/quote']

Do you think better tyres will solve this problem or atleast make the situation better?

Ive noticed it too now you mention it.

you get the tram line, diesel, pot hole, cow-shit etc problems

on all bikes! all tyres! you just need to live with it :lol:

ybr's are what they are!

and pretty good at it too!

I really can't see that tyres are going to make

much difference! but anything that makes

you happier with your bike can only be good :lol:

personally, if I had to live with a ybr every day

I'd be looking at improving the brakes first

then the headlights then the starting and having

to wait ages before it'll move.

tyres would be way down the list because

it just hasn't got the performance to justify it!

you get the tram line, diesel, pot hole, cow-shit etc problems

on all bikes! all tyres! you just need to live with it :lol:

ybr's are what they are!

and pretty good at it too!

I really can't see that tyres are going to make

much difference! but anything that makes

you happier with your bike can only be good :lol:

personally, if I had to live with a ybr every day

I'd be looking at improving the brakes first

then the headlights then the starting and having

to wait ages before it'll move.

tyres would be way down the list because

it just hasn't got the performance to justify it!

I dont know what year the YBR you have experience with is... but the breaks on mine seem to be fine for what i have needed out of them,

The headlight on mine is sorted with a halogen bulb, cheap easy fix at £14.

Starting? it starts up soon as my finger grazes the button, and warms up very quickly / moves off straight away.

my son's is 55 reg, Sue's is 06

both start fine but take ages to warm up

and won't move till they are.

I think the brakes are dire but!

I'm a big bloke and used to 1000cc

superbikes remember :lol:

well thats just it, i dont know any different haha

i am sure if i ever go on a bigger bike with better breaks i will then go back to the YBR and think "WHY ISNT IT SLOWING DOWNNN"

i really need to force myself to ride more.

im still finding the fear hard to deal with.

Ben"]

Do you think better tyres will solve this problem or atleast make the situation better?

The stock tyres on the one I bought, 59 plate,WERE chinese tyres and they are a very Hard nylon type compound which I could not get on with at all ....The bike would twitch a lot on any shiney surface patch in the road and would follow the smallest ruts in the road . So although the tyres only had 1500 miles on them I changed for the Michelins And it was like a diferent bike when I picked it up !

I would say if you are a new rider or born again rider and will be using the bike to take your test then it is well worth the money getting sportys put on for the improved road holding and smoother ride you get in return.

The tyres are the most important part of a bike IMO

Ben"]

"tramlines on the road"' date=' the road damage or grooves and ruts left by HGVs/tractors etc which can take you off course a bit. Not nice, but a common problem with thin wheels.[/quote']

The stock tyres on the one I bought, 59 plate,WERE chinese tyres and they are a very Hard nylon type compound which I could not get on with at all ....The bike would twitch a lot on any shiney surface patch in the road and would follow the smallest ruts in the road . So although the tyres only had 1500 miles on them I changed for the Michelins And it was like a diferent bike when I picked it up !

I would say if you are a new rider or born again rider and will be using the bike to take your test then it is well worth the money getting sportys put on for the improved road holding and smoother ride you get in return.

The tyres are the most important part of a bike IMO

How are the sportys in the wet?

• 7 years later...

Can someone tell me why my bike slows down when I put it in 5th gear I have a ybr custom 2009. When I say slow down I lose like 5mph so when I hit 50mph in 4th I shift to 5th it then slows down to 45mph.

Can someone tell me why my bike slows down when I put it in 5th gear I have a ybr custom 2009. When I say slow down I lose like 5mph so when I hit 50mph in 4th I shift to 5th it then slows down to 45mph.

I'm sorry to tell that it slows down because it lacks sufficient power to go any faster .

I'm sorry to tell that it slows down because it lacks sufficient power to go any faster .

That's a common problem with smaller bikes, as Fastbob says, they don't have enough grunt to hold top gear so you end up with the speed fading until you have to drop down a gear again.

I've had some success putting a slightly smaller front sprocket on, as in one tooth smaller. It raises the engine rpm in higher gears which brings the engine back into its powerband.

Many smaller bikes are overgeared from factory. In theory your maximum top speed is reduced but in practice it is actually increased because it allows the engine to deliver what little power it has at the kind of rpm where it is available.

That's a common problem with smaller bikes, as Fastbob says, they don't have enough grunt to hold top gear so you end up with the speed fading until you have to drop down a gear again.

I've had some success putting a slightly smaller front sprocket on, as in one tooth smaller. It raises the engine rpm in higher gears which brings the engine back into its powerband.

Many smaller bikes are overgeared from factory. In theory your maximum top speed is reduced but in practice it is actually increased because it allows the engine to deliver what little power it has at the kind of rpm where it is available.

There's no substitute for CC's 😀 https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgraded-Big-Bore-cylinder-Barrel-Yamaha-W-piston-kit-YBR125-to-150cc-all-years/272673414968?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

wp_ss_20190111_0004.thumb.png.2d052a61188f2e8763e45a456c056d81.png