annoying engine noise

cooper99

Hi all got a sprint st 1050 2009, and ive been trying to fix a noise thats appeared on it for nearly 2 months now and had no joy, when you start the bike from cold it makes a knocking noise the best thing i can compare it too is a cow bell knocking, its in no rythem or order as soon as you rev it up or when the bike is warm it goes, its just really really annoying me, ive tried the obvious like n checking for loose parts etc , ive changed the oil and filter, just done my best to work it out but cant get it, it also doesnt make any odds whether the clutch is in or out ether, thanks for your help guys im sure someone will know.

na, bikes completely buggered mate, I can take it off your hands for £200! :twisted:

lol, sorry for making your heart sink, I dont know anything about machanics, just want a bigger bike lol. I would have said to change the oil, but you already have. I am sure megawatt, eab, techno or some other clever clogs will be along shortly to sort you out

Dunno mate....could be something expanding from cold...then when the engine gets to temp it stabilizes. Does it seem to come from anywhere in particular? Engine, exhaust, under seat etc?

Can you hear it when you are moving....or is it just when you are stationary? Has it just started happening? ie, now the mornings are a bit colder.

Sorry....lots of questions....but it's always hard to diagnose something like this remotely.... :wink:

Bob

Could be starter gear rollers not withdrawing fully. Try stabbing the starter button again when it's running, but don't hold it on. Could just be resonance from another metallic part. Try holding revs at different speeds. Could be yer horn vibrating with the engine? Can you post a video with good sound?

thanks for the responses so for guys, yeah it only happens at idle ill try and get a video up tomorrow morning, its coming from under the tank i engine, goes when ur riding because its not idling anymore,but if you freewheel with the clutch in and its still cold u can still hear it etc,

thats what i think megawatt because its not in any pattern or rythem but you know how it is, you always dream up worst case in your head ill get a video tomorrow or friday for you guys to cast your eyes over

If it's there at tickover and goes at higher revs, it's usually the clutch or resonance. Could be your air filter box rubbing against your tank. Have a look, put a towel or similar under tank and try it again? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ill definatly try the towel, its not a pinking noise its more of a dull knock, like a cowbell thats pretty much exactly how it sounds, like i said ass soon as the revs raise a couple of hundred it goes away its odd