have you ever dropped a bike?

tryme

<t>have you ever dropped a bike?</t>  

67 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever dropped a bike?

• yes
    • no

For a reason I'm yet to figure out, I chose to take the back lane route to school one December when I was 16. Came to a junction that usually floods, and it had, but it had frozen. About 20 square feet of thick ice. Managed to stop enough so that when I finally hit the ice i was doing about 3mph, simply stepped off the bike (okay moped), and let it drop, but I was holding it so was fairly controlled.

sym scooter - first time I tried using the side stand (which was after I replaced the spring for it) it fell over with me still holding it so i saved it luckly

second time, put it on the side stand (spring still new) and walked away to see it roll forwards and fall onto its side cracking about 3 of 4 of the panels :/

a few times

my first 125 getting it off the centre stand for the first time, as hadn't anticipated the weight of the bike, no damage fortunately

my OH's farm bike, a little xt125 which i hit a patch of mud and it slid out from under me, to the amusement of about 3 people. Bruised knee and snapped the brake lever and smashed the right indicator

a ducati my mate had challenged me to ride into the garage. Objected to riding onto carpet and the rear wheel lost traction and over it went. I was more hurt than the bike in that instance, just knocked the fairing if i remember, was a few years ago now. Gashed my back against the garage door frame, and the bike landed on my leg. That was sore.

and finally the little van van in snow, done about 40 miles and it decided it had had enough, and i was able to to just lay it down in the snow. No damage.

1, outside my Dad's house, got a wobble on at a junction and couldn't get my foot down quick enough without it slipping off the kerb.

2, in the middle of town parking up. I jammed the front brake on as i was turning slowly.

3, at Cadwell Park, parking on the grass hill, bike started leaning down the hill, put my foot down but it was leaning too much and I couldn't hold it. This was the worst one as it broke the clutch lever and I had to get recovered home.

4, in a pub cark park late at night, pitch black. Pushed the bike back (it was on gravel and I couldn't sit on the bike and walk it back due to me being a short arse and my feet slipping on the stones :roll: ) engine was running (big mistake!) tried to put the side stand down to get on the bike but I hit the gear lever!! Bike went off without me straight towards a car and fence :shock: grabbed hold of it and pulled it to the ground. :lol:

:laugh:

yep!

dropped the bike on my cbt! cocked my leg over and it didint have a side stand only centre, pulled to much towards the left as i got off!

a few weeks after passing my test and having my first big bike, i dropped it trying to park, slow speed, luckly had crash bobbings that saved alot of damaged, it landed half up a kerb also which didint help! :roll:

as they all say everyone does it at least once and i was just waiting! nice to get it over and done with :lol:

oh yes, only once with each bike tho lol.

( unless you count the riding schools er5, which i gently laid on the floor twice).

dropped the marauder after parking at the house, when i got off and got my foot tangled in a ground sheet that i really oughta have moved.

the zxr when i was showing it off to my mum outside my house and jumped off without remembering to put the stand down.

and the TCat , 2 weeks after my test, at the end of a big weekend rideout to wales, doing less than 1 mile an hour ,went to turn right coming out of the petrol station, a car pulled in the way , attempted to change direction before realising there was no dropped kerb the other way with 20 other bikers lined up across the road watching :D...still, saved me having to try and pick it up by myself

almost dropped my 125 putting it into my shed, just managed to hold it upright.

I don't know if this counts as a drop or not, but went round a mini roundabout and hit an icy man hole cover which landed me on my side. Was at less than 5mph, so dunno if that's a drop or a slow speed crash?

No shame in dropping a bike if your relatively new to that size of bike, especially if nerves are a contributing factor...

1 - parked up and getting off the bike after a 200 mile trip, knackered, wet and the bike was fully laden and it fell over as I just plain forgot to put the stand down :shock:

2 - parked up on a steep slope, the bike was full laden, it was towards the end of a long day having done about 200 miles and as I got on it toppled over.

3 - trying to bump up over a steep kerb, I used too much throttle and it went from underneath me.

1/ Diesel spill on the corner of a one-way system in south London...was just accelerating round to beat a wall of traffic just pulling away from some lights....no-one would even stop to let me push my bike to the side of the road once I'd picked it up....slightly bruised.....scraped foot brake and front brake lever and r/h exhaust

2/ Pulling away from a filling station in winter.....car wash had overflowed and the water had frozen across the road.....lifted my left leg and watched the bike slide across the road...same side as previous drop.

3/ New front pads fitted to my RD350...was on way back from bike shop in fine drizzle.....car in front stopped, I grabbed a handfull of brake lever.....front end went down and slid into rear of car....I was watching this from where I had jumped off the bike.....smashed headlight and scraped front mudguard....

Near misses?.....too many to count..... :wink:

The only one I have ever dropped (excluding when someone hit me) was when I was stood stock still on my DAS talking to my instructor. He said in 20 years of training he had never seen someone who was sitting comfortably just drop it. To this day I have no idea how I did it. :roll: :oops:

Lol feeling so much better now after reading these. Best one was kicking it in gear when moving and it shot off! Lol that had me going for a while

My ZX6r conks out if you do it with the stand up. A very useful tip if you are buying one like I did and wonder whats wrong with the engine when it conks out continuously on selecting 1st. :mrgreen: