Car vs Scooter

iiisecondcreep

Saw this posted on Facebook by Ride magazine, not sure if its been posted on here already as I couldn't find it but mods please move or delete if its a repost!

Anyhoo, bloke on a scooter exits a roundabout onto a single carriageway and bloke in a jag decides he wants past

http://youtu.be/b-SOphSk-S0

*edit* I can't get the youtube tags to work :(

Literally saw this two days ago

(here it is so you don't have to click the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-SOphSk-S0

What an arse! So what if he has been driving for years and hasnt had an accident, and was a driving instructor, he still hit a scooter whilst overtaking on a single laned road, cut in front of him and forced him to do an emergency stop in the wet... What sort of an idiot thinks thats a good idea? He has L-plates on, what good is making him do an emergency stop in the wet going to do? And then to stop on the side of a sliproad on a 70mph road (they stopped after the sign) without putting the hazard lights on... No wonder he is an EX-driving instructor! FML this is the main reason I have a camera strapped to my head. Just in case something like this happens

Saw this in on Facebook a couple of days ago too. The Jag driver is a knob, end of. Apart from his driving he started arguing about the lads riding but when he answered back he would just back out and start on something else without discussing it. He thought he would be able to bully and intimidate the poor lad just because he was on L plates. I bet he wouldn't act like that if it was an older rider without the L's :roll:

Although the jag driver was out of order the moped riders lane discipline was poor. He was in the wrong lane to start with, crossed the centre line when setting off from the junc, crossed over & got into the wrong lane on the sliproad.

:stupid: The guys lane positioning was poor approaching and going round the roundabout.

But I agree, if it's a single carriageway he was right to be positioned just left of centre & the car had no business trying to overtake & cut him up!

Can"t see what the lad did wrong. He's approached a roundabout on a dual carriageway and will be exiting beyond 12 O'clock. Quite correctly he has been in the outside lane on approach and then travelled round the roundabout in the correct lane before exiting on to a single carriageway road.

Not sure of the speed limit. There are lamp posts but couldn't see any repeater signs to signify it is not a 30 limit.

He was probably out a bit to avoid the broken road surface that some are mistaking for white lines but he is quite entitled to be there.

Watch the whole vid: No where are there any lane markings or sign posts to indicate merging traffic. It is just a generously wide single lane as you exit the roundabout, narrowing to a normal width carriageway. At about 3.15 you see another scooter take the same line and the brief glimpses you get of other traffic do not suggest anyone else is treating it as 2 lanes.

Idiot in the Jag is 100% to blame and the stunt after impact is bordering on dangerous driving.

Although the jag driver was out of order the moped riders lane discipline was poor. He was in the wrong lane to start with, crossed the centre line when setting off from the junc, crossed over & got into the wrong lane on the sliproad.

It's a one slip road how can he be in the wrong lane?

Looks like a single exit carriageway to me also.

Looks like a single exit carriageway to me also.

It is

Local knowledge is a good thing at looking at things like this

And knowing the road his lane position wasn't actually that bad

14 secs in, he's in the offside lane moves/edges/cuts into the nearside lane crossing the white lines, going around the roundabout he moves from the nearside back into the offside lane turning right close to the grids.

He indicates left does a safety check moves towards the nearside lane and carries on turning heading right into the offside lane..

Now the sliproad looks like a dual lane because of the tarmac split in the centre, no markings but it does look like two lanes.

If I'm stuck behind a moped with crap lane discipline like he has I'd tell him to go study.

And like I say knowing the roundabout there wasn't much wrong with it

To be honest its a crap roundabout and you have to take it the way he did there isn't a lot of choice as you come off one roundabout straight on to that almost every car is always over both lanes and not in the correct lane

Regardless of his lane position the cock in the car was in the wrong full stop if the car came on the outside of him on approach to the roundabout I could see your point about lane positioning but his position on the slip road was fine

If I'm stuck behind a moped with crap lane discipline like he has I'd tell him to go study.

But would you go to overtake him, thinking that he may have poor road knowledge and L plates and not knowing what he may do next?

If I see someone with poor road craft I stay out the way and be extra cautious and not try to force my way past.

Funny thing is he states he is a driving instructor etc so why the hell is he being so stupid? He should know to be extra cautious around vulnerable road users, and not do an emergency stop in front of them.

Class A twat in my opinion, and I give credit to the scooter rider he handled it very well.

14 secs in, he's in the offside lane moves/edges/cuts into the nearside lane crossing the white lines, going around the roundabout he moves from the nearside back into the offside lane turning right close to the grids.

He indicates left does a safety check moves towards the nearside lane and carries on turning heading right into the offside lane..

Now the sliproad looks like a dual lane because of the tarmac split in the centre, no markings but it does look like two lanes.

Sorry mate. I've watched that repeatedly and I do not think his wheels crossed the white lines dividing the lanes. He may have been right up to them, but not over them. The lean on entering the roundabout may make it appear otherwise. He is moving about in his lane which he is entitled to do and his line exiting the roundabout is pretty much as drawn in the last issue of The Highway Code that I saw.

The tarmac split you mentioned has a very broken surface which you probably wouldn't want to put a full size motorcycle wheel in let alone a small scooter wheel. Check the point where Jag driver paces out the width of the road and look at the two widths of tarmac either side of the split. Nearside section isn't wide enough for a lane. No road markings, merging traffic arrows or road signs to say the same.

It was pretty much a line round the roundabout that most on here would take entering a clear roundabout TBH and that exit road is definitely a single lane. As I said before, I can't see he did anything wrong other than ride a moped, which some road users seem to believe doesn't have the same rights on the highway as everyone else.

I too saw this earlier. The poor kid was so shook up, having damn near been knocked off his bike, he was lost for words and could not put together a valid argument. I`m glad he rode off in the end.

The fact it was all recorded should have lead to the police tracking the twat down and doing him for endangering the lads life and driving with undue care and attention.

Nothing wrong with his exit positioning and even if there was it doesn't give carte blanche to mow him down.

This is somebody's son and seems like a decent kid. Hopefully he's not put off from getting a bike after this incident.

And there's no way the cocky twat in the car is a drving instructor either.

This vid needs to be passed to a lawyer if it hasn't already and the driver charged with Dangerous Driving. If the police saw this vid and did nowt then a formal complaint needs to be put in place.

There has been pages of discussion about this on the Adventure Bike Rider Forum. My view was that the scooterist was in the correct position because at about 8 mins when he pulls away you see a solid white line under the Jag and then as the slip road continues the solid white line is clearer on both sides. It is making what could be two lanes because of the width of the road only one.

So for those with local knowledge, has the solid white line at the entrance to the slip road been driven over so much as people cut the corner worn out? Or has it gone due to resurfacing since there is mention of a line in the tarmac?

In any case, you cannot overtake unless safe to do so, which it was not and there also seemed to be an expectation by the car driver that the scooterist should have pulled in and given the car driver priority, which is nonsense. Even if the lanes were there to merge the car in front has priority and if you cannot overtake safely and you do, it is the overtakers fault there was an accident.

The car driver is a fool and I hope he finds out about these threads. I hope the scooterist finds out as well and gets the message - well done for standing up to that man, well done for getting your scooter stopped as he drove recklessly to a halt and so avoided a second accident.

It is not working for me either, but it explains why the sooterist went to the right of the lane and how the motorist got it so wrong. At one point in the video he walks back a bit down towards the round-a-bout to show how wide the road is, but he stops and then comes back. I wonder if he had realised then there was a worn line, it is a solid white line and he had made a mistake. But as usual in such circumstances, people will not admit that.

How people like this stay calm escapes me. I have used threats of ultra-violence for much lesser examples of two-hat driving.

From what I can see, with the slip road being single lane, the jag driver was being a total w**ker.

that poor lad did well, i would have done more damage lol that driver even said that the lad should have moved over as there was no need for him to use the whole road, wow that's arrogance for you lol but one thing the lad could have said asap to stop all that charade was to just say that if there is a dispute call the police, its on camera and let them sort it out, that would have shut the jag twat up. he is on L plates, he aint going to be perfect and is going to make mistakes, that's why they have plates.

hope that lad doesn't give up riding for that one incident.