WD40 - all in one chain cleaner and lube?

Throttled

WD40 appears to be the dream product for chains. It cleans, loosens tight spots, protects, disperses water and leaves a film of oil. I have read of some Versys riders who only use WD40, successfully, no issues. They spray the chain every few days and that is it. If they miss a bit one day, they will get it another, so it involves very little effort.

I sprayed my chain today and it certainly drove a ton of water out of it after I had washed the bike. It has left an oily film.

So should I keep going, or is this a bad idea?

Ive read lots of posts (on other forums) from people who only every use WD-40 on their chains.

Personally im not so sure. I think its probably good at cleaning, but not good for lubrication as it dries out. Not sure if it does the rubber rings any good either :?

I use "muck off" Chain cleaner, and Catrol chain lube (from halfords :oops: ) nice and sticky, and once the solvent has evaporated it doesnt get flung off, even at high speed. :cheers:

Well I am going to have a go and see how it works out. I am hoping that since it will not be used all year round and so it will not get the ravages of winter it will not have such a hard time of it.

Grit and salt really goes for a chain.

I have heard off other forums that WD can damage O rings, but have never seen any evidence. For what it's worth, WD40 dries out, coz it's mostly paraffin, so chain will rust if left for a week. I use paraffin to clean my chains, finish with brake cleaner on a terry towel. When it's dry I use MucOff ptfe chain lube and then re apply every 200 miles. My last DID X ring Gold chain lasted 35,000 miles.

I have seen loads of advice totally against WD40, but everyone who does seem to use it, says it works well with no problems.

The only thing I really use it for on my chain is to give it a quick clean. I have always either used a scottoiler or spray on oils.

I fitted a new chain and sprockets yesterday, and I'm going to try out a big tub of gear oil and apply with a paintbrush every 4 or 5 days. To me that seems like the best protection and lube for a very cheap price.

I just wonder if WD is heavy enough for the use a chain goes through

I compare this to castrol chain lube which leaves a pretty thick coating over the chain and needs to be done only once every couple of weeks.

I expect treating it with WD40 every couple of days has to be better than not doing any maintenance !

Thick grease that lasts will also hold dust and crap on the chain making it wear, WD40 is a good lubricant but evaporates off as has been said.

The mountain bike boys all used to use GT85 which is a silicon based spray lube, silicon dries out so it doesnt stick dirt to itself, but remains a lubricant when dry.

I dont think how heavy duty is affects what type of lube will lube it. WD40 before and after every ride would probably work well.

I fitted a new chain and sprockets yesterday, and I'm going to try out a big tub of gear oil and apply with a paintbrush every 4 or 5 days. To me that seems like the best protection and lube for a very cheap price.

Gear oil will just fling off and make a mess!

Should have thoroughly cleaned your chain before removing the old sprockets, then lube with chain lube once the new sprockets were fitted. Use the Castrol chain lube and it wont fling off. Oh, and spray the Inside of the chain (not the outside) ;)

The whole idea of O-ring & X-ring chains is that grease within the links is kept in place by the O-ring or X-ring......so technically speaking an O-ring or X-ring chain should not need external lubrication.....just cleaning and something to prevent corrosion. I've read somewhere that WD-40 can damage the O-rings or X-rings and can also wash the grease out of the links.

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix...... :wink:

If you think WD40 is good, then try Wurth Dry Chain Lube, it looks similar, applies just the same but with a better nozzle and doesn't make a mess of your back wheel like other chain lubes.

Try ebay to find the best deal.

I bet once you've tried it, you'll never use anything else.

Wd40 is no good for lubricating a chain!

It will be ok to clean it then lube the chain with proper lube or oil

WD40 chases oil and grease out and it will dry out within days maybe quicker on a hot chain yes the do heat up with use!

It may look like it has lube on it but inside the seals where it matters there will be no lube

I strongly advise against it but its your chain and your life if it snaps

You can't put a price on safety and if it worked as well as chain lube loads of manufacturers would recommend it or be making something similar

The whole idea of O-ring & X-ring chains is that grease within the links is kept in place by the O-ring or X-ring......so technically speaking an O-ring or X-ring chain should not need external lubrication....

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix...... :wink:

Not sure that's strictly correct. Anywhere you have metal to metal contact, if you don't have lube it will wear, so you need some lube between the chain and sprocket...

although, you might want to read this first - not motorbikes, but same principle applies.

http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2012 ... chain.html

The comments that follow the article are all in favour of regular use of WD40, without any issues arising. So it is an expert opinion vs actual use.

although, you might want to read this first - not motorbikes, but same principle applies.

http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2012 ... chain.html

The comments that follow the article are all in favour of regular use of WD40, without any issues arising. So it is an expert opinion vs actual use.

Yes, its a real mixed bag of thoughts!!! probably doesnt help with the descision process, but good to have too much info than not enough :lol:

I use wd40 to clean the chain after a ride/commute then wipe down with cloth, spray some wd and then add some chainlube.

I do this every other week with the occasional additional lube in the week, depending on weather conditions. So far I have travelled 7k miles in sine the end of may with the bike completing a total of 14500 miles and would be expecting to change the chain within the next 2/3 months.

Daily return commute 110 miles (95% motorway) - should really get a scottoiler :?

Thick grease that lasts will also hold dust and crap on the chain making it wear, WD40 is a good lubricant but evaporates off as has been said.

The mountain bike boys all used to use GT85 which is a silicon based spray lube, silicon dries out so it doesnt stick dirt to itself, but remains a lubricant when dry.

I dont think how heavy duty is affects what type of lube will lube it. WD40 before and after every ride would probably work well.

GT 85 is brilliant stuff,use it all the time but never tried it on the chain.

Use paraffin to clean and then use gear box oil applied with a rag.

Probably means you have to attend to it more often that you do using a lube but this is my preferred way.

Just don't put to much oil on the rag and it will keep the chain in excellent nick.