Washing Textiles.

So my biking trousers (textile material and waterproof) are starting to whiff a bit after quite a long while of continuous use.

It says to wash at 30, do not iron, do not tumbledry but i was wondering about the waterproofing remaining intact after washing. Should i reproof them after ive washed? (this would get expensive i imagine)

on a semi related note - the trousers are great apart from theres a small leak in the crotch of the trousers but only really noticeable in a proper hurricane downpour for more than 15 minutes. Is this somethign that reproofing might fix, or is it a problem with the waterproof seam stitching on the trousers do you think?

The stuff's dirt cheap. e.g. full price is about £6 so i'd pick it up anywhere. You can get spray on stuff and wash in stuff. We picked the latter as it's guaranteed to get everywhere. Takes a while to dry though but did wonders for my RST trousers which leaked like a sieve and now resist having the shower on them.

I used to use Nikwax on the ex's fishing gear - washed with the wash treatment and then used the wash-in reproofing stuff.

I used the spray-on treatment as well on places prone to more use/leaking, so you could try doing that - double proofing!

• 1 month later...

I bought the nikwax stuff and used it a while ago, seemed to make it stop raining everytime i needed to go out which was useful, untill i rode upto nottingham the other week and through a serious (seriously serious) downpour on the m1. they held out for about 1 minute then the leaky crotch struck again and it was like turning a tap on inside my trousers. luckily 1/2 mile out from the services, pulled in and dug out some overtrousers and stuck them on for damage control. had a few people tell me i was mental for riding in the weather conditions which made me chuckle.

will try again handwashing them next time as i dont get on with washing machines - Im too used to handwashing stuff to know how to use them properly!

Why does it always seem to be the scrotal area that gets wet...?

Maybe its not leaking :shock: It could be an age thing

well at the ripe old age of 22, I hope it bloody isnt!

I think the crotch area has most stitching/joins/possibilities for something to go wrong in the manufacturing so its the most likely place to spring a leak. Gonna try redoing them tonight.