HMV

Chrissb6

When's it going to end

When high street retailers learn to compete with internet based retailers.. who buys CD's or DVD anymore?? its all downloaded, digital content, but HMV failed to move with the times.

they should have diversified more instead of relaying on selling outdated products.

I won't miss them. I used to order CD's on line but Amazon are cheaper with a much better range. I do download stuff but I like a hard copy. They really lost their way. Having said that they've not been on the highstreet that long. 80's boom and branding. It was on old record label when I started collecting vinyl mostly 78's.

Not just competition from internet, supermarkets are usually cheaper and more convenient.

Exactly, failure to adapt to your surrounding leads to extinction.. its natural selection at its best, and HMV was a big old dinosaur waiting to be made extinct.

I would hate to be in retail sales, I was astounded when my mum said she likes to go shopping I told her just get it from the internet if you can, but she sees it as sort of as trip out, I think as older generations with this attitude die out so to speak more retail shopping will become more a thing of the past.

I have to say tho and its probably an age thing I hate the whole download idea, i prefer hard copies, I heard recently bruce willis was in a court battle? because he wanted to leave a database of songs to his kids but some company said he didnt own them because they were downloaded or stored on some cloud or some shit, anyway wouldnt happen with dvd's.

Trouble is, HMV missed the boat ... even though the boat was pretty hard to miss!

That's what happens with big, long established companies - they think they've got a bullet proof business model, and they fail to notice technology changing around them. HMV had the money, market presence, brand name and resources to be able to lead the internet music sales revolution - but instead they just carried on doing what they'd done for years - and got left behind like a dinosaur.

They had diversified into games, books and ipods/headphones etc. But I think places like that are not really suited to huge retail outlets in shopping centres and in the end their borrowings got to them.

they diversified into the wrong things while missing what would actually sell music and film - Cult sells those things. they needed to shift focus to selling stupid little figurines of band members and lots of band t-shirts. they needed to get on the back of the digital revolution by gearing their staff up with the knowledge of the latest and greatest bands (not the tripe you hear between 1 and 1000 in the charts). finally, they needed to create an environment where they could do all this - that is to say somewhere where people could come in and sit and consume a product before sale. (preferably on a big beanbag with a jar of coffee/milkshake/smoothie or something).

I hope that the private equity firm that takes over the brand does re-design the brand with a more cult feeling and encourage people back into the place.

because he wanted to leave a database of songs to his kids but some company said he didnt own them because they were downloaded or stored on some cloud or some shit, anyway wouldnt happen with dvd's.

Problem is that CD's and DVD's have a finite life also.....so I would make sure I have them backed-up elsewhere too..... :wink:

because he wanted to leave a database of songs to his kids but some company said he didnt own them because they were downloaded or stored on some cloud or some shit, anyway wouldnt happen with dvd's.

Problem is that CD's and DVD's have a finite life also.....so I would make sure I have them backed-up elsewhere too..... :wink:

There lifetime is plenty long enough not to bother and if needing replacement would be dirt cheap by then.

I like to own the cd or DVD too, and mp3 quality pisses me right off!

As for HMV, who cares! Retail giant number xx to the wall, I say good! How many small businesses have giants put to the wall? 30 years ago that was all the news, now it's Internet putting the giants to the wall. Natural progression, get used to it.

Wouldnt surprise me if the CEO was bleeding it to get out before the ship sinks :lol:

We do live in a download era. I am a console gamer so like to have my copies of disks.

For my music and games and so on that are downloaded, I have USB sticks to hold the info. I have little cases for them and then I store them on a little shelf. Theres your hard copy, way more reliable than a disk :cheers:

Wouldnt surprise me if the CEO was bleeding it to get out before the ship sinks :lol:

We do live in a download era. I am a console gamer so like to have my copies of disks.

For my music and games and so on that are downloaded, I have USB sticks to hold the info. I have little cases for them and then I store them on a little shelf. Theres your hard copy, way more reliable than a disk :cheers:

Ive started backing up my music to Google Play. Offsite backup that you can play from anywhere you like!

https://play.google.com/music/

Blockbuster just went aswell, they were sorta old but was still behind inventing online service like lovefilm ect,

Remember like 10 years ago always popping down to blockbuster with the family to pick a weekend movie for the night, was a good thing...

Blockbuster just went aswell, they were sorta old but was still behind inventing online service like lovefilm ect,

Remember like 10 years ago always popping down to blockbuster with the family to pick a weekend movie for the night, was a good thing...

Petrol prices are so high now that it would cost a couple of quid just to get to the local Blockbuster!!

They were trying to rent DVD's for more than you can buy them for at Morrisons and who in their right mind pays cinema prices for ice cream and popcorn to eat at home. These businesses have to keep up with changing times.

I think we'll end up like Asimov's Solaria. Never leaving the house. 8-)

Yeah but still shitty MP3 'quality' of the average download site :( iTunes downloads are horrific 'quality'

Some are responding with better quality formats like FLAC.....and even MP3 at a decent bit-rate (320Kbps) which you would require fairly good kit to discern the difference......well, I would anyway.....can't hear a bl**dy thing over the tinitus...... :lol:

Yeah but still shitty MP3 'quality' of the average download site :( iTunes downloads are horrific 'quality'

I am not too sure about that, surely if it was that bad then no one would use it. I must need new headphones because it doesn't sound a great deal different to same copy have on CD.

I work in electronics retail and service and I made up a demonstration cd containing a number of good quality recordings but on the last 2 tracks I put what you'd call 'good quality' mp3 recordings to use when demo'ing a music system. To see if anyone would notice :lol:

On a £200 CD/DAB system hardly anyone could tell the difference. a £300 Yamaha CD/DAB system and now lots can hear a difference. On a £700 CD/DAB Marantz the difference was jaw dropping!

It's strange that in an age when it's easier than it's ever been to buy music we are actually buying less of it. You can listen to music on mp3 but I really don't think you can hear music the way the artist intended :wink: IMO

HMV's vinyl has always been priced too high and never included in the sales. Recently a Neil young Vinyl they were selling was £36. I bought it online for £18. Sadly this was the case for all of their records.

They cut their own throat.