only starts with starter fluid

Tiggie

If it's in the exhaust manifold then it would make no difference to the starting, it might make it pop and backfire when slowing down using engine braking, and it will blow and be noisy, but it should still run no problem.

Is your fuel tap set to 'on'?

Just thought i'd throw it out there as no one has mentioned it, start simple :D

I think you should read the thread as he is getting fuel to the carb so fuel tap is fine

I am agreeing with the others here, I don't really see how it can be anything other than float height or sticking if the bowl is getting fuel and jets are clear.

Hope you get it sorted, it's always the same, it will be something really simple, but that doesn't help when you can't find it!

Don't see how it can be float height if the fuel is getting in there! It's not getting out that's the problem :mrgreen: Have you checked for a blocked carb breather pipe, if there is one, as well Tiggie?

It def sounds like carb issues. Have a look at this pic. It may help. http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/hmmmnz/carb.jpg

There's a myriad of things that you can mess up in carb on top of the things that can break all on their own. Such asThe diaphragm could split the pilot jet could be blocked. The vacuum hoses can perish etc

. You could have innavertanly adjusted the mixture or even knocked the float height.

Check that the inlet manifold is loose or split.

Just to add. When I had the bike the one and only fuel issue was when the choke cable snapped. Electrical issues where limited to a defective plug cap on the front cylinder that was losing all the spark to the cooling fins. This caused rough running and was fixed with a new plug cap. Neither should be causing your issues and From your description of the fault my 50p bet is that there is an issue with fuel getting from bowl to cylinder..

Edited by uk190

Don't see how it can be float height if the fuel is getting in there! It's not getting out that's the problem :mrgreen: Have you checked for a blocked carb breather pipe, if there is one, as well Tiggie?

If the float is WAY low, there will be fuel in there but not enough to reach the jet? That's what I thought anyway.

will let you know in the morning as I've just finished cleaning and polishing the carb again, well not polishing but you get my drift :D

everything looks good on the carb, no blockages on jets, pipes, hoses or anything else fuel/air related that I can see so i'm optimistic for morning.

was going to pm this to you martin but i'll come clean to everyone :oops:

gave the carb a thorough going over tonight checking and double checking everything when I noticed that I had put the needle jet back on incorrectly after last time I stripped it :bang: didnt have the hole in the centre aligned

so hopefully I had sorted whatever was wrong the first time I cleaned it and I have been fighting against my own stupidity since! :oops:

Edited by Tiggie

fingers crossed!! if only I had a garage it would be so much easier. but then I wouldnt get the resident nosy old biddy from over the road complaining about the noise i'm making and telling me I should take it to a mechanic like normal people do :mrgreen:

You live and you learn...

If it is down to your ham fists then you'll have a cheap fix but it doesn't answer why it originally stopped running.

Could have been a blocked jet that stopped it in the first place.....then the misaligned needle after it was stripped and cleaned prevented it from working after that...... :wink:

Good Luck for the morning Tiggie....hope that's it sorted..... 8-)

http://wiki.bssd.org/images_up/6/62/Mikuni_pilot_needle.jet.jpg

this isnt my one so no remarks about how filthy it is please!!

I hadn't aligned the hole on the side correctly with the passages on the carb.

as tango said hopefully I cleared the problem to begin with and then I've just had you all scratching your heads due to my slight teeny tiny error :mrgreen:

Fair play for being honest with us and yourself. Hopefully you have found the problem and it’s soon sorted. We all make mistakes l did say it might be something stupidly simple :roll: O well' we all live and learn at least you know the workings of a carb now joy and not thrown money on a replacement. Fingers x for you in the morning.

Had a similar drama with Sue's Renault Magan. It was making an horrendous noise whilst she reversed it, had the RAC out, the guy said “ its the C/V joint drivers side”. I set my stall out Saturday morning to rip it out and replace it. Out and under pulled the dam thing out nothing wrong with it, gearbox me thinks!? Check and double checked. Fault was found to be the dam brake pads chattering Joy! Replaced them now all good, heaven knows what sort of bill a garage would of ran up should she had been towed in?!!

Sorry all, apparently looking after my Wife who has got tonsillitis was more important than fixing bike :roll:

turns out it was all my fault as i had filled up with diesel :oops: ......................

...........I really hope no one believed that as i'm really not that bad :mrgreen:

anyway after fitting the carb this morning everything seems to be up and running, only thing is I've not got enough fuel left in tank after all my playing so i need to go fill a can up!!

will take it out for a spin tomorrow to be sure but it looks like its all fixed now.

A sincere thanks to everyone who helped (even those who kept telling me my fuel was probably off :) )

I will buy a beer for you at the rally :cheers:

Glad it seems to be working now, hopefully it will be fine when you go for a ride :thumb:

As for filling it with diesel, I can't imagine anyone being daft enough to do that, can you? :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seen it done with the cars many times, never with a bike. Suppose there's always a first :shock: Anyway no damage done apart from loss of time, hair and a rake a riddicule to face when this lot catch up with you :lol: :3some: .