Wrist?

Bikeybuyer

Seemed like the right place for this, my body needs a pitstop!

Got back from a 20 minute ride today and my wrist is throbbing pretty badly. Left (clutch hand)

http://s21.postimg.org/k77qq7ekn/Wrist.png

Anyone else suffered from this? I'd like to think it's not my bike but I don't think it's coincidence sadly.

I didn't have any knocks/nasty pothole incidents

How hard are you gripping?

When I first passed my test I had really bad pain in my wrists from gripping too tight and having my arms straight a lot.

Relax your grip and bend your arms. Grip the bike with your legs and the pain will go away.

Also try clutchless up shifting to lessen the amount of time you use the clutch

I don't know if you do but try gripping the tank more with your legs and use your stomach muscles to hold you up. You should be able to let go of the handle bars with both hands and still be locked to the bike.

First few rides of the season I suffer with this.......but after this it subsides. Basically your clutch hand needs to get used to this action and will get stronger the more runs you do. I'd not worry too much until you get a few mles under your belt.... :-)

I suffered from this quite badly when I started riding. It's gone now, it's because you're using muscles that don't often get used. Also tight legs loose arms etc will all help. I'm really just re-iterating what's already been said!

make sure your clutch lever is at the right angle to suit you. some bikes have levers that are way too horizontal and cause pain as it forces your wristback too far. try loosening the allen bolts and positioning the lever at an angle that you find comfy.

ensure thats its tightened up when done and that it doesnt foul anything like the tank or fairing. go ride and test it.

there are other causes for wrist pain when riding but are less likely than sore muscle or incorrect lever angle. carpel tunnel syndrome is one; if you are one of the unlucky ones who is likely to suffer from this anyway, biking can bring it on much much sooner. the operation to remedy it is not nice.

ive been riding bikes for years, i have had to tone it down a bit due to the types of bike i ride (sports) my weight (fat..ish) my riding style (back wheel quite a bit) as i have constant pain in my right wrist! (not related to any other right hand action!) i find under heavy breaking my wrists take huge amounts of strain. ive slowed down loads now, and even looking into different types of bikes (duke) otherwise i can see myself giving up the bikes for a while! i think its quite a common thing though for bikers!

w**kers cramp :P

could be tight gloves or gripping too hard

Lol, if it's not what Stu said, try adjusting the handle bars (if they can be adjusted) and sometimes adjusting the clutch and brake levers can make a huge difference, certainly did for my bikes.

:stupid:

Also, may I point out that (from your life-lines) you are not going to be rich, you will be (or are) married, you will have 4 children,

you will never climb Mt Everest and you are not gay (yet!).

:mrgreen:

Much appreciated ;)

I strapped it up for a couple of days and carried on riding, not had it hurt at all since, most odd!

make sure your clutch lever is at the right angle to suit you. some bikes have levers that are way too horizontal and cause pain as it forces your wristback too far. try loosening the allen bolts and positioning the lever at an angle that you find comfy.

ensure thats its tightened up when done and that it doesnt foul anything like the tank or fairing. go ride and test it.

there are other causes for wrist pain when riding but are less likely than sore muscle or incorrect lever angle. carpel tunnel syndrome is one; if you are one of the unlucky ones who is likely to suffer from this anyway, biking can bring it on much much sooner. the operation to remedy it is not nice.

The ops a doddle...I just lay there, The next 4 weeks not riding are going to be the pits

Hey man I've recently started riding, and noticed the same kind of thing. So what I did was just buy a pair of sports sweat bands, and I wear them whenever I go out now. Seems to support my wrists and I don't have any problem now. You can pick them up from any sports shop for a quid or two. Try it, it might help

I have suffered from this in the passed, but as been said, relax, don't ware tight fitting gloves and make sure the ergonomics of the controls suite your riding position.

A good read here throws some light on what is happening to your body, its explains it well, you might think it's extreme but it will help you understand what's happening and how to avoid the problems. Read the bottom half of the page "TOP TIPS" it explains well how to avoid this problem.

http://backontrackphysio.org/page7.htm

Hey man I've recently started riding, and noticed the same kind of thing. So what I did was just buy a pair of sports sweat bands, and I wear them whenever I go out now. Seems to support my wrists and I don't have any problem now. You can pick them up from any sports shop for a quid or two. Try it, it might help

Touch wood it hasn't happened since! I did re-angle my clutch lever though :)

I have suffered from this in the passed, but as been said, relax, don't ware tight fitting gloves and make sure the ergonomics of the controls suite your riding position.

A good read here throws some light on what is happening to your body, its explains it well, you might think it's extreme but it will help you understand what's happening and how to avoid the problems. Read the bottom half of the page "TOP TIPS" it explains well how to avoid this problem.

http://backontrackphysio.org/page7.htm

cracking website that chris, cheers.