BSA M21!

you mean its tightly wound?

bend the spring to open it up?

Hah! I've tried. It won't. One end in vice, other end with 14 stone of me on it and it won't budge enough for to get even a 5p in.

It's immensely thick compared to the side/centre stand springs on my Bonnie. Far thicker.

I'll ask in work tomorrow whether there's any tricks/tools (I've just started a new job in a bike dealership...)

stand springs are a pain

anchor it to the frame end and use a good cable tie to secure it so if it slips off it wont become a missile ,then place a strong long flat head screwdriver though the eye-let to use as a lever put the flat edge of the driver onto the peg of the stand and lever it towards the peg as it stretches it will slip the spring down the screwdriver as it reaches the retaining peg wangle it so it slips over,probably will take a couple of attempts but you will get there

make sure the stand is up ...less tension on the spring

Cheers for the input, guys!

Borrowed this tool from work. Gonna give the spring a cheeky tug tomorrow.

http://www.jhmbuttco.com/acatalog/vs0351.jpg

Hey guys!

Success! Rear stand spring back on! Needed the wife's help; I pulled the spring into place the she used the tapometer on the side to knock it into place.

Gonna take it out for a ride in a bit...

OhJay - no bud! Dunno what it was, but as it was so nice and sunny on Sunday I thought I'd tinker with it. New fuel and plug and it turned over a couple of revolutions! So I just kept kicking for an hour or so and it turned over more and more before finally spluttering into life!

Now it starts first or second kick, even from cold :) Happy days!

• 1 month later...

Right. Issues I'm currently sorting.

Oil is pissing from the head and gearbox gaskets. I've also noticed a nasty fuel leak from a tiny crack in the chrome just above the r/h/s tank badge. The fuel has caused the tank badge to crumble.

I now have a full set of gaskets. I've taken the head off and soaked the bolts and head in petrol to try to remove some of the oil that's still on them. Gonna wang the new gasket on and tighten everything back up when the sun's out.

Fuel tank is an issue. It's only a little crack and it's mostly hidden by the badge. I've ordered new badges to replace the crumbled one. Welding/soldering is right out as it'll ruin the chrome and look nasty. I've seen some clear sealant stuff online called Seal All, which gets rave reviews and is very fuel resistant. Anyone used that before? I think it might be worth a try.

Gonna take the gearbox casing off and replace the gasket on that too, with the added help of a little Universal Blue to try to stymie the tide of oil that pisses out.

I've also taken the carb off to give that a good clean, which should help a little with starting and idling issues. Never cleaned a carb before, but gonna take it into work and get the technicians to show me how.

Main thing I'm waiting on atm is a sidestand from Draganfly. Apparently they're in the process of making them, however they've been spinning me that line for three months now... It's just a ballache having to use the rearstand whenever I stop anywhere. A sidestand would make life much much easier.

Looking forward to getting the beast back together in good working order and making good use of it this summer. :)

Oh, I also got some old-shool Biggles style aviator goggles to go with my pisspot. Looks just the part, haha.

BSA sidestands used to be available from most motorcycle auto-jumbles.

New gaskets should cure the oil leaks (unless the metal is scored or warped) - I always used 'red' hermatite rather than the 'blue' for those gaskets.

Seems like you are almost there with the 'project'. Will we be seeing it at the Rally?

:cheers:

Cheers fellas! Hoping to get it back together again this week!

Shall certainly check out the autojumble as it's only 20/30mins from me.

• 1 month later...

M21 is alive and kicking! Fuel tap had perished, so order some new corks. Gearbox and crankcase cover were both pissing oil BIG TIME, so took them both off and replaced gaskets, along with liberal helpings of the black silicone gasket shizzle.

Started her up and she's running smooth and sweet. Gonna rest and have a cuppa, then maybe take her out for a gentle trundle around the block this evening...