Morning. Just rode on to work (20-30 min ride down highway) wearing full textiles and took all off and mostly i'm dry (except my boots but thats being sorted) my stomach is soaking though? It's just as covered as the rest of me, but now it looks like i have a half dyed shirt. any ideas on whats causing this / how to stop it? Ideally i don't want another layer of waterproofs but if i have to i will.

everyone goes through this on their bike if they use it in all weathers... i think most people will tell you that they're still searching for the 'holy grail' of wet weather gear, that is: waterproof, breathable, lightweight, only one layer, affordable, etc etc

i know you said you don't want another layer to put on, but a waterproof over jacket works very well, especially if it is the type that doesn't have a zip up front (you have to put it on over your head). Bit of a faff, but i stay completely dry on my top half when wearing this. Only downside is it's not breathable, so can't wear it during the summer, as i end up just as wet from sweating as i would have not wearing it in the rain in summer!

your only other option is to shell out on some expensive gore-tex gear in my opinion... guy i park up to at work, has a rukka jacket he's had for about 6 years now and he wears it every day commuting all year round, and doesn't get wet. Also, if you do buy a gore-tex jacket and you do get wet, there is a life time guarantee with it, so you can just send it back.

if i had all the money in the world to spend on motorbikes and motorbike gear, i'd probably get the top of the range Rukka two piece textile suit, but you're looking at spending nearly £2,000. But then again, if i had all the money in the world, i wouldn't be living in this country where it rains all the time!!! :lol: :lol:

Might look into that.. i do have a pak-a-mac that i use when on my bicycle.. but probably wont fit over my bike gear! May have to check out if i can find a bigger one as that wont take up to much space then, trousers stay fairly dry , its mostly the boots i had dripping wet socks today!

My leather suit is water proof to a certain extent but the crotch isn't and I get some stick at work when i turn up with a wet crotch :P

There's some spray called something like neverwet which you cover your suit in and the rain just brushes off it...

I've never used it so I can't recommend any brands :P

gore-tex boots, or some sealskinz socks, or the cheapest option, wrap your feet (over your socks) in cheap plastic carrier bags :lol:

This is being done if it rains on my way home!!

And neverwet? i think i have heard of that before anybody have any experience with it? does it work on textiles without staining or damaging them? also how long before you need to re-apply

And neverwet? i think i have heard of that before anybody have any experience with it? does it work on textiles without staining or damaging them? also how long before you need to re-apply

There's an ad on pootube somewhere of it in action. It's a two part spray kit and not available in the UK (yet...). The video gives the impression that it stiffens the material on which it's applied which would be useless for us lot as I expect it would crack very easily.

Still a fun product to have a go with. :-)

I've had a similar problem to you before, do you have a long jacket? I used to do long rides and be bone dry apart from my stomach area, it was weird. the water was getting blown up between my trousers and jacket at the front either off the tank or straight up. either wear your trousers higher, or secure your jacket down at the front to stop the water being blown up it. or tuck a plastic bag or something into your waistband

Think the problem was where it velcro's across the middle, hard to explain.. it had bubble so instead of being flush with the jacket it stuck out and made what would be a less protective hole. Hopefully this makes sense but its hard to explain.

Yes that makes sense.

Nikwax is where it's at. I have a big spray bottle of it. My spada suit would be waterproof for about 3 months, then I would start to get a leak in the same place as you, a quick re spray of nikwax and it would be bone dry.

I also have a nikwax boot thing that is like a shoe polish dispenser with a squeegee sponge, it is a thick white wax (still liquid) that you rub onto the boot with a dispenser and then wipe off the excess.

I don't believe we should accept being wet if we're on a bike. If you look after your gear and use the right stuff you can stay dry. I ride on the motorway every day in all weathers and stay dry and warm.

My new Weiss 2 piece suit is far more comfortable as it's softer and so far has been bone dry and warm.

Its a thin wax that seeps into all the seems then dries off. It will make it look wet until it dries out, I have an over waistcoat that is purely there to be reflective, its black with a big reflective pattern on it, I nikwaxed it as well and it did no harm.

Nikwax recommend using their special wash to clean out the pores in the fabric first but I have never needed to bother if I am honest. But then my gear doesn't tend to get dirty, just wet.