Front light not working on my ZZR600

Phooey

Found the problem. Checked fuse and it was good so forced my hand up her fairing and managed to get the plug off and the rubber cap and eventually figured out how to release the clip then maneuvered the bulb out. Haha, did I say bulb? It was a piece of metal with the bulb section gone. No glass bulb just a piece of wire hanging out of the 3-pin connection.

Now I know and have done my first maintenance job on my bike! :mrgreen:

All good now l hope? So did the lamp explode? Hopefully there's no debris inside the light fitting.

Which replacement lamp did you fit bye the way! Just curious

All good now l hope? So did the lamp explode?

it would appear that it did! Although I didn't notice anything ... just started the bike and noticed that the front light wasn't working!

Hopefully there's no debris inside the light fitting.

I'm sure that there must be. God know how I am going to get it out.

Which replacement lamp did you fit bye the way! Just curious

I went to my local car parts shop and picked up a standard Osram H4. Will be ordering some Night Breakers from Ebay though. Sounds like they are worth a go.

:cheers:

Now this is proving interesting :?

I now have to strip the front fairing off. In my attempt to 'feel' my way around fitting the new lamp the little retaing spring came away in my hand. :crybaby:

Supposed to be dry tomorrow so I have a scary job to do,

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

if unsure take pics on ur phone as you go so you can see how it looked at start but the top fairing will only be held on by the mirrors stays and then normally four bolts round headlight area through main bracket and the ones that fit the lower sectins to top section.or it might be easier to undo whole fairing bracket off headstock of frame as you look in under handlebars towards headstock area there will be two bolts holding main bracket to frame remove them and undo lower fairing panels it might drop forward far enough to work on then

I have removed a small access panel which gives me a lot more room and I can almost see the back of the headlight now. But, I can't figure out which way or how the spring goes back in.

Does anyone know where I might find any pics of how the spring clip is situated? Still waiting for my Haynes manual and i will need to use the bike tomorrow daytime forecast fog and evening ... forecast dark :lol:

If it's anything like the ones on the Sprint there will be 2 small holes in the circular lip around where the bulb fits. The open end of the spring clip will locate into the holes and the bend on the clip will push onto the rear of the bulb and the closed end of the spring will hook under a tab on the lip of the lamp housing.

Dunno....does that make any sense at all?..... :?

I think that there will be either a hole or another tab on the lip around where the bulb fits.......can you get your phone in and take a flash picture?

No I tried that earlier, Tango. Thought if I could get a pic I might be able to see how it fits. I have a Galaxy 4S and no matter how I manoeuvre it, something is in the way!

Hoping the forcast fog around here isn't too bad and I can get it to a mates who is helping me fit a new clutch cable on her. :lol: , I couldn't even manage that by myself. I got the old one off but couldn't get the new one on so I had to re-fit the old one!

I can't be good at everything I suppose :lol:

the loop end as you say goes on to a tab

the other end has a hook that the spring sits under you have to push the bulb in then close the spring on to it then as the end of the spring gets near the housing push it to the side to clip it under the hook

Section 8 top fairing removal - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/s ... 89d005.jpg

Fairing exploded diagram (E models) - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/s ... daac7e.jpg

Fairing exploded diagram (D models) - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/s ... 3b8ed7.jpg

Note to moderators - I realise that there are issues with copywritten material, I'm only posting these as MidLifeBiker has already paid for a Haynes manual and I'll take the files down once he's done.

Section 8 top fairing removal - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/s ... 89d005.jpg

Fairing exploded diagram (E models) - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/s ... daac7e.jpg

Fairing exploded diagram (D models) - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k96/s ... 3b8ed7.jpg

Note to moderators - I realise that there are issues with copywritten material, I'm only posting these as MidLifeBiker has already paid for a Haynes manual and I'll take the files down once he's done.

You're not publishing a section of the book, you're publishing a photo of the book. I think that's ok.

plus you need self leveling and headlight washers!

no you don't

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

So if they are not fitted, they are not tested. it isn't stated that they must be fitted in the MOT manual.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

Doesn't mention bulb wattage either.. Or additional lights.

Construction and Use regulations anyone? :-)

I vaguely remember something along the lines of "Thou shalt not bugger about with thines vehicle in such away as to deviate from the manufacturers specifications".

I've read this enough times and can't be arsed to do it again so feel free to peruse at you leasure. :-)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

That said though, I bunged HIDs on my tank and they were fab - got a few flashes from other road uses until I knocked them down a few degrees.

Anyway, back to the ZZR... How's it going buddy?

Doesn't mention bulb wattage either.. Or additional lights.

Construction and Use regulations anyone? :-)

Thats my point. The MOT test is quite simplistic and doesn't really concern its self with the construction and use regulation.

Legally you cant have more than a certain wattage bulb but the MOT test just checks that the headlight(s) work and emit the right colour light.

just because something passes the MOT doesn't make it legal ;)

Guys ... I don't ride my bike everyday, as much as I'd love to, the weather just does not permit. Today I thought I would start her up and let her run a bit to keep the battery alive and to check over general condition more than anything else. So I started her - fired up no problem- but the front light doesn't work. Lo nor Hi beam! The back light works fine and all other electrics seem to be OK.

Is this just a simple bulb change? If so how do I do it or am I looking at a bigger problem?

thanks guys.

Give the switch a jiggle first, where the bike's layed-up there could be something growing in there and on the contacts.