Stupid Question!

Guest raabey

I want to remove my chain to clean! Is this really stupid but how the hell do I get it off without breaking it?

I took a picture of where I think it should part:

http://thumbnails109.imagebam.com/31596/aa0210315957398.jpg

edit: I just bought some proper chain lube today, whereas before I had this "john deere chain lube" which probably explains the reason for it being so disgusting

you would have to split it there

that is what they call a soft link for when its riveted

once you remove it you will need a new rivet and a chain tool to put it back together

be far cheaper to just clean it in place

Either its not a stupid question, or we're both stupid (more likely) as I asked exactly the same question as I wanted to properly scrub my chain! Suppose its one of those parts that will always get mucky, you just do what you can to keep it as clean as possible

you would have to split it there

that is what they call a soft link for when its riveted

once you remove it you will need a new rivet and a chain tool to put it back together

be far cheaper to just clean it in place

Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Either its not a stupid question, or we're both stupid (more likely) as I asked exactly the same question as I wanted to properly scrub my chain! Suppose its one of those parts that will always get mucky, you just do what you can to keep it as clean as possible

Hahah true! Because I used such grimey lube, everything around it has become black (that's the reason I wanted to take it off)!

Scub it in situ with a tooth brush and paraffin. Then dry it with rags and lube. Also take off the cover over the gearbox sproket and clean all the crud from behind it - that's where all the chainlube endsup. Or buy a clipon cassette cleaner - don't bother with their cleaning fluid or lube, use paraffin/spirit to clean and then lube as normal. If you use a toothbrush dont forget to wash it off before putting it back in the bathroom or the missus goes mental.

No such thing as a stupid question mate.......so please don't hesitate to ask if there's something you don't know or want clarification on. ....... 8-)

I think the question has been covered here......so, good luck...... 8-)

What they've said +1, not a stupid question if you didn't know the answer :thumb: A lot of people use WD which other's dispute as it's not good for the O rings :scratch: I use white spirit and a tooth brush (I don't put it back in the bathroom though) :crybaby: Dry it really well then re-lube it cold and then leave it until the next morning, inthe morning wipe it of with a rag or kitchen roll and go for a 15 min ride to get it warm then re-lube it job done :thumb: A bit long winded but my chain's last over 15k miles and I do that between 4-500 miles. I know you'll get lot's of different results with different ways of doing them but this works for me and I did try an oiler but didn't get on with it and still cleaned and lubed it manually when I cleaned it :oops:

I just bought some proper chain lube today, whereas before I had this "john deere chain lube" which probably explains the reason for it being so disgusting[/color]

Leave it be. Fit Scottoiler. Job done.

DO NOT CLEAN WITH WHEEL ON AND IN GEAR TO 'MAKE IT EASIER' DO IT WITH WHEEL OFF AND ENGINE OFF!!!!!

you are probably wondering why i am shouting this at you but, you asked a reasonable question that many haven't and they have done exactly as above and failed. normally resulting in a loss of digit.

Raise rear wheel, spin it backwards, and only ever clean the bottom of the chain.

The problems occur when people spin the wheel in the correct direction and get fingers stuck between the rear sprocket and chain. So by spinning it backwards, you virtually eliminate the problem.

The problems occur when people spin the wheel in the correct direction and get fingers stuck between the rear sprocket and chain. So by spinning it backwards, you virtually eliminate the problem.

+1

I did this as a kid and it f**king hurts.

DO NOT CLEAN WITH WHEEL ON AND IN GEAR TO 'MAKE IT EASIER' DO IT WITH WHEEL OFF AND ENGINE OFF!!!!!

Wheel off? Really?

Think she meant wheel off the ground.. Not off the bike... At least I hope that's what she meant! Lol

yes its soooo much easier with the wheel off, plus its a two min job :P the chain then sags and you can get at it better, plus there is no chance what so ever of a 'blond' moment. but if your not brave enough to take the wheel off then wheel off the floor.