Cameras on your bike.

Hmmm £150......but I like the fact that it can be powered from the bike and it can do continuous loop recording....the only thing they don't mention is the recording capacity.....how long it records for before overwriting the previous recording. Also doesn't mention if the cables for powering it off the bike come with it or not......may need to do a bit more research..... 8-)

Hmmm £150......but I like the fact that it can be powered from the bike and it can do continuous loop recording....the only thing they don't mention is the recording capacity.....how long it records for before overwriting the previous recording. Also doesn't mention if the cables for powering it off the bike come with it or not......may need to do a bit more research..... 8-)

8GB card about 2 hours ... 32GB card, 8 hours apparently.

Don't rule out the Sony AS range of cams. I actually swapped my hero 3 white edition for a Sony AS30 as it has a better picture quality. Low light footage is amazing! Also has Sony Steady shot as standard too! They come in 4 flavours.... AS15, AS30, AS60 & AS100 (newest). If you don't need wifi on the cam then the AS15 is a bargain. Can be picked up for around £100. If you get the next model up (AS30) which I have then you get wifi and can control the cam with an app on your phone. I highly rate them....

Yeah, I thought that too Tango. That is the sort of thing i am looking for and it looked ideal. Simple to use, easily wired to bike, loop, 32GB card get more than enough hours and the quality isn't bad.

The mixed bag of reviews was a little disappointing though.

Don't rule out the Sony AS range of cams. I actually swapped my hero 3 white edition for a Sony AS30 as it has a better picture quality. Low light footage is amazing! Also has Sony Steady shot as standard too! They come in 4 flavours.... AS15, AS30, AS60 & AS100 (newest). If you don't need wifi on the cam then the AS15 is a bargain. Can be picked up for around £100. If you get the next model up (AS30) which I have then you get wifi and can control the cam with an app on your phone. I highly rate them....

Not sure the reviews are any better for this one though, bronze84. I would be concerned with how many said that the camera was too unstable to wear on the head! Also the piece of film they showed was not too good in terms of quality!

I think I prefer the RoadHawk still :)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/camcorde ... y-hdr-as15

wifey wants me to have one for accident purposes! What do people make of the Road hawk one http://motorcycle.roadhawk.co.uk/#tab-video

150quid for a 720 camera is a bit steep.

You can get 720p cameras for 40quid..

Think its a bit over priced tbh.

Are you aware of a cheaper cam that will do all the things the RoadHawk will do?

I like the idea that it was very easy to wire up and runs for several hours on a decent 32GB card. Also the helmet attachments seem to be very robust - many cheaper models rely on you to find your own solutions or use their provided head band and Velcro. not sure that I would want to trust my can to a headband.

The problem with being a novice is that I have nothing to start my search with ... everything is new to me and I know little about what is good and what is not. But I do know that I want to be able to sit on my bike, plug the cam into to a live feed, ride at up to the national speed limit :angel12: with the confidence that when I get to my destination my helmet cam will still be there and recording ... even if that is three or fours hours later.

The RoadHawk seems to tick those boxes for me. Of course, I would expect other models, GoPro and Contour to do all these things and more but in some cases up to double the price of the RoadHawk with the only advantage of 1080p ... you get what you pay for I suppose.

Not sure the reviews are any better for this one though, bronze84. I would be concerned with how many said that the camera was too unstable to wear on the head! Also the piece of film they showed was not too good in terms of quality!

I think I prefer the RoadHawk still :)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/camcorde ... y-hdr-as15

It isn't unstable if you get the correct mount for it. I've been using it on my helmet for ages. Never had any shakiness.

Also, if you watched the vid on YouTube then the quality will be degraded. Watch a video review of one of em on YouTube by 'Techmoan' it's a very exhaustive review :-)

For a little more the same company that do the roadhawkk cam also do a 1080 hd camera called Bullet HD2 on www.dogcamsport.co.uk. That's what I'll be getting on payday. Review to follow

For a little more the same company that do the roadhawkk cam also do a 1080 hd camera called Bullet HD2 on http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk. That's what I'll be getting on payday. Review to follow

As a bit of a punt, ive purchased one of these for 44quid. hoping it will arrive today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111181617297

It looks suspiciously like the cvamera from DogCams thats selling for £229

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/replay-xd- ... amera.html

I expect its just a generic, unbranded camera built in china, and then sold by various companies at inflated prices...

when it arrives i'll make some movies and upload for you to see the quality.

For a little more the same company that do the roadhawkk cam also do a 1080 hd camera called Bullet HD2 on http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk. That's what I'll be getting on payday. Review to follow

I did look at that but by the time you add the other bits ... hard wiring pack etc, it turns out quite a bit more. Amazon do the RoadHawk Ride, including all the cables I'll ever want and a 32GB micro card for £145 inc VAT. The quality looks good enough for my needs. I wont be too concerned about posting any kind of high quality training vids on the internet.

my Sport DV arrived today, so i created "Dog Cam"

IMG_20140424_225756.jpg

Then i took it to bits to see how easy it would be to hard wire to the bike... pretty simple i reckon!

IMG_20140424_220532.jpg

No chance to try any useful video yet, but from the footage ive shot indoors, it looks ok...

I've read this thread and I am at a total loss as to what camera to get... I was thinking the GoPro as I can use that in ice hockey and skiing as well as on the chest mount on the bike...

But the contour roam 2 is a damn site cheaper. But doesn't necessarily look like it has the mounting versatility..

Can anyone clarify the situation for me?

I have the contour roam 2.

It comes with 2 types of mounts. One for flat surfaces and one for rounded. So helmets, bike fairings, anywhere you can think of, I have seen people mount them on the underneath of a skateboard, it also makes it so your footage is not upside down.

The problem with mounting was that the camera is quite close to your head, no the bike it's hard to get it so your helmet isn't in the shot, on my vid in a previous post on this thread you can see what I mean.

As far as other mounting options, you would have to buy more mounts but I think there are some different mounts contour roam do and aftermarket type stuff.

Could have a look on amazon and see how much other mounts are?

I've decided to get a Drift Ghost HD (sister's BF uses one for skiing and motorbike too.).

Only question is, whats the audio like without the external mic? Anyone got an example of the audio they have taken with a stock Drift HD with no external mic?