Sprocket carrier removal?

spacemonkey

Got a Keeway partner 110 (don't laugh, I got it for nothing lol) and need to adjust the chain.

The adjusters have just rotted to bits so I need to change them, problem is I cant see how you take off the carrier off the frame.

Took the wheel off ok and see the carrier is held on with a sleeve that the axle goes through. I think I may need to pull or bash the carrier off but I just want to check first before I start smacking the crap out of it.

Never worked on motorbikes before (if you can even call it one) but handy with spanners on cars so no stranger of getting stuck in but this has me pi**ed right off.

Can anyone help??

Just to avoid any confusion, the sprocket carrier is the bit in the hub of the rear wheel that the sprocket bolts to, it will just pull out of the rear wheel and under it are the cush drive rubbers.

Chain adjusters are usually screwed somehow into the rear of the swingarm and will probably want to be unscrewed, I think some types may rely on just screwing into a bracket which sits on the end of the swingarm, but most will need to be unscrewed as if tightening the chain, then keep going till it frees completely. I wouldn't start bashing stuff till you can see how it is fixed.

The adjusting nut at the end snapped off as soon as I put a spanner on it as it was that rusty, I think a Honda C90 one will do though. The adjusters are just like washers with bolts coming off them and they hook on to the end of the swingarm, Just cheap nasty things that resemble to ones I had on a BMX as a kid.

When I try to remove the sleeve's big nut that has the adjuster under it the whole lot just spins around including the sprocket and carrier. I cant see anywhere to put another spanner or even put a allen key in.

Sorry if im not being too clear, never was the best at describing things through text.

To undo that nut you may need to put the rear wheel back in and use the brake to stop it turning while you loosen that nut......or put the chain back on and stuff some rags where the chain meets the sprocket to try to stop the thing turning while you slacken the nut...... 8-)

To undo that nut you may need to put the rear wheel back in and use the brake to stop it turning while you loosen that nut......or put the chain back on and stuff some rags where the chain meets the sprocket to try to stop the thing turning while you slacken the nut...... 8-)

That wont work though.

The carrier turns on the sleeve and the sleeve just turns when I try to remove nut.

In an ideal world it needs to have somewhere I can put a spanner on between the carrier and swingarm and a socket on the big nut.

As for the rust, it not as bad as it looks. That's one of the reasons im taking it apart is to give it a good clean and paint.

As an idea... Can you get a good size bolt through the middle of the sleve and get a nut on nice and tight (might need some big old washers) - then stick a secondary nut on as a locknut and use a spanner on that to stop the sleve spinning while you crack off the main nut? (other way round might work better...)

Apologies for the poor explaination and repeated use of the word "nut".

When I try to remove the sleeve's big nut that has the adjuster under it the whole lot just spins around including the sprocket and carrier.

The sprocket must attach to the rear wheel.....so, if you put the wheel back in and put the back brake on you must be able to loosen the nut.....unless I'm misreading what you said about the whole lot turning?..... :?

@Matty....the sprocket and carrier and rear disk all stay in place when I remove the rear wheel on my Speedie......single sided swinging arm..... :wink:

:shock:

holy c***!!

cant be any help, but if theres anything else on the bike looking like that, free or not, I'd be melting it down, not trying to ride it

Really?

Wow. It's only a bit of surface rust on a swingarm and chain lube on a sprocket?

[quote="Tango"

@Matty....the sprocket and carrier and rear disk all stay in place when I remove the rear wheel on my Speedie......single sided swinging arm..... :wink:

LOL. That AIN'T no SSSA Bob! It's bloomin spindly and thin if it is!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

All sorted and without the need of a match!

Put the wheel back on and bolted up the axle good and tight, 24mm socket on sleeve nut and managed to get a couple of turns on the nut that was enough to get it off when I removed the wheel again.

Thanks all for the helpful and not so helpful comments. :cheers: