Preparing for my first long solo ride ...

Phooey

... and I am nervous! Is this normal or am I just being a wimp?

I am preparing to leave Bristol at about 5pm this evening and travel to Manchester. Furthest I have ever ridden and certainly not done more than about 20 miles on my own. Feeling a bit ... alone. Did others feel anything like this on their first long solo ride?

I was nervous first time I rode up the m4 (Swindon-Cardiff on a 125). Soon realised nothing to worry about, just longer journeys on motorways are boring as hell so dose up on coffee before hand and figure in a few stops just to preserve your sanity.

Thanks guys. I plan to only do M5 as far as M6 interchange then pick up the A34 all the way. Otherwise I live so close to the motorway this end and my mother, whom I am visiting, lives so close to the motorway her end that I would be doing 171 miles and 163 on motorway. Not my idea of biking fun!

i'm dreading the roughly 160 miles i need to do on a 125 to get to the rally but I know once I get going I'll enjoy it, hopefully be the same for you, good luck :thumb:

p.s. if I turn up at next years rally without a full license please feel free to ridicule me into leaving early!!

My only worry is getting lost when I have to be somewhere far off. If I`m on leave I tend to enjoy the long rides, with plenty of breaks of course. I`m sure you`ll enjoy it once you get going. Ride safe

I'm off on a 200 miler at 5am in the morning, from Farnborough to Wigan! Excited and nervous as I'm only 3 weeks after doing my cbt. A & B roads all the way due to those pesky red "L"'s

I have a skimmed down route in the map pocket of the tank bag.

Manufacturer states 240 miles off a full tank!

Give the bike a good check over fill her up and yourself with a good breakfast some good coffee away you go! Set your coarse to tie in with a break and fuel stop. Make sure you wrap up well and use ear plugs the jobs a good un!! Enjoy and stay safe

Well, I got to Manchester without any problems. Bit colder up here than I expected and was starting to fill a little cold by the time I got here. The motorway wasn't too bad and I settle in quite quickly. At one point I noticed the speedo reading a whisker over 100 :shock: so I eased off the throttle back to 80 and soon started to feel a bit bored so stopped for a coffee.

Picked up the A34 at Cannock and followed it up to Manchester. Nice ride and thoroughly enjoyed it. Next time I might put my thermal liner in my back-pack just incase.

Managed 168 miles on about £15 of petrol (11.5L) rough calculation about 65mpg ... Well pleased with that and better than MCN says. Will fill up before I leave and again when I get back to Bristol and see what it cost me and do a more accurate calculation.

Give the bike a good check over fill her up and yourself with a good breakfast some good coffee away you go! Set your coarse to tie in with a break and fuel stop. Make sure you wrap up well and use ear plugs the jobs a good un!! Enjoy and stay safe

I agree, preparation is key. You need to be comfortable.

Nice one with the journey. Long trips are sometimes a big deal when setting off, but quite often when you get there you don't want to stop.

lol ... trust me, I wanted to stop by the time I got there. My arse was sore. I need some foam padding inside my leathers!

I went straight in and was a bit stupid.

My first solo ride (no instructor n my ear) was a month after I had passed and I got a train from Swansea to Manchester, which took most of the day. I then rode from Manchester to bath at 8 at night in September, I then rode from. Agh to Swansea the following day.

I had no sat nab etc...so my main concern was getting lost. I normally worry more over the little 10 minutes down the road when I can be late or I know that it's rush hour etc...

My only worry is getting lost when I have to be somewhere far off. If I`m on leave I tend to enjoy the long rides, with plenty of breaks of course. I`m sure you`ll enjoy it once you get going. Ride safe

Top tip: Remember the general direction you headed off in (the Sun was where?) and put the Sun in the correct position (ish) to get back to familiar territory. I've used this method a lot and it works!

You may not get the shortest / quickest route back but.....

:cheers:

You`re a natural navigator Al. I also try and make mental notes of buildings etc. that I pass on the way out and then look for them on the way back. Pubs are pretty good surprisingly :D :D