Kids

Guest Kc9400

Ha,

So I bought the new bike, a GSXR600 at the weekend and was showing my 8year old daughter a couple of pictures.

The best possible response, and it somewhat surprised me was "Dad, you can take me to school on it"

Haha I think this means she approves of my decision.

:D

Good stuff. I've had to turn up at the lads rugby training on mine!! My 2 even wanted me to push it to school on the morning school run so they could stroll beside it, needless to say that has never happened.

Proud as #### though to be honest.

Picked my son up from school on mine, we went to the park next to the school and played for abit.

All the kids watched him put his helmet on as we left and they all run onto the path shouting his name andwaving lol . He loved it.

Kids are mad aren't they. I took a friend of theirs with us to one of the olivers mount meetings this year. My 2 fairly blaze about it all sat on the hill. (Been several times) Their mate absolutely gobsmacked at it all.

I dread to think what they would say if I told them I was going to a race meeting, taking the bike so they couldn't go....lol

Whatever you do, dont drop your bike outside school with all their mates watching.. They'll be laughed at for life!!

Or if you do, smash it up like a madman - your kids will never ever be bullied :lol:

picked her up from school a few times when she was at juniors, on the thundercat....she thought it was ace, and was the envy of all the lads.

took her to a parents evening on the bike in year 7 , which she loved...but when I suggested doing the same last week for year 10 parents evening it would appear it is no longer cool :(

( though I suspect that's more to do with helmet hair and running mascara lol )

haha sounds like everyone has had similar experiences.

I'm not sure about the idea of 'smashing it up like a madman' if you drop it though :P

As entertaining as that would be :D

My three year old grandaughter loves mine now. She had a sit on it, no I didnt mispell that, and a quick glide down the roadd with her mum holding her, in the summer. Now all she wants to do is go on the back of Grandad's bike.

What age is considered appropriate for children on the bike please?

Watching this thread with interest.

I am divorced and my daughter is interested, well will be until mummy finds out. When I first mentioned the bike my daughter thought it a great idea.

She became less keen, turns out the X told her how dangerous they are (probably worried about her maintenance :| ).

If mother finds out she will go nuts, daughter probably will not say.

My thought is also what gear? As this will only happen 2-3 times a year if we are lucky I really don't want to go spending a fortune.

Yet if I need hard hat boots gloves clothing etc so does she, just thinking like x wife here... Could be bloody expensive few hours...

What age is considered appropriate for children on the bike please?

Legally here in the UK.. age is neither here nor there - the limitation is, I believe height. that the pillion.. regardless of age can put both feet on the pillion pegs. Aside from that a basic understanding of the usual rules all pillions have to abide by. not attempting to dismount until told to do so and so on. Which is just common sense.

My thought is also what gear? As this will only happen 2-3 times a year if we are lucky I really don't want to go spending a fortune.

Yet if I need hard hat boots gloves clothing etc so does she, just thinking like x wife here... Could be bloody expensive few hours...

Absolutely all of it. Don't need to spend a lot at all but it does make me cringe seeing power ranger dad in AlpineStars one piece, Arai lid etc on the front with kid in t shirt and flip flops on the back!

Helmet new but you can pick up things like Box helmets for £60 ish

All the rest you can get off eBay or similar (or off here. What size is your daughter? I think we've still got some tiny size gear around saleable)

And are you sure it'll only happen 2 or 3 times? :twisted:

Maia was dead keen to come on the back of the bike with me. First time I took her round the block was given strict instruction "don't go too fast, just round the block, she'll probably be satisfied she's done it and that'll be the end of it"

I hadn't even got off the bike myself after the round the block before she was nagging mum to go get her gear on so we could go out.

Blatted up the dual carriageway to CMC to be asked why speed limits have to exist :lol:

Yeah I was thinking the same. I figure I can look around for kids stuff second hand, she'll grow out of it pretty quickly.

The only thing and I think everyone would agree is a NEW lid, I absolutely refuse to buy a second hand lid for her as you never know if it's been dropped or anything.

And as said above, so long as they can reach the pegs they're allowed in the UK.

I was thinking maybe getting something like this that she can hold on to. Anyone used something like this? It'll be more reassuring that I can feel her there if you know what I mean.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/QhcAAOxyyF5RJ0JA/$T2eC16ZHJGQE9noMbZY2BRJ0J!In5!~~60_35.JPG

Yes, we've got a set of love handles. Much prefer them to grabbing the handles behind them.

I prefer them as it means I can see her hands and know she's still there :lol:

Maia definitely preferred them at first. More natural position on the bike, can feel where the rider's moving etc. Did the rideout at the rally without them and she said she was death gripping the handles through the twisties which made her knackered and felt like she was leaning back far more so feeling less planted on the bike. She's getting used to the grab handles now and can swap back and forth at will but I'll still always wear them.

And are you sure it'll only happen 2 or 3 times? :twisted:

:offtopic:

As a divorced dad I cannot see much more. I think it also might be one of those things my daughter forgets to tell mum about, so we need not be seen doing....

I asked after one of our adventures (my daughter was asking to do it again 8-) ) did you tell mum about that day? :!: (I had not had any nastiness about cold tired wet dangerous etc :?: ) Oh no she said I forgot :D :D , do I have to??? :evil: :evil: You tell your mum what you want I do not mind EITHER way :twisted: :twisted:

I never ask her to not tell anything but sometimes afterwards I ask (if she has), some times she tells me she won't! A smart one :P :P (At age 7.5 but fits clothes 8-9 or maybe 10 :wink: )..

Fully agree RE new Lid....