newbie track day

stantheman

never done a track day and was wondering what you guys recommend for starting?

whats the best course to start on and should I have a certain level of riding experience?

just a bit worried about being wiped out by someone cause i'm slow.

Step 1 - Get full license

Step 2 - Get bike

Step 3 - Do a novice track day

Step 4 - Look forward to next track day

:-)

Do a novice day with MSV or No Limits that way you'll not get mixed up with the super quick people (because some of them ride like cocking maniacs!). Honestly, it's great fun and noddy days are usually pretty light hearted.

Whereabouts are you? A few of us do the odd track day and you might be able to join in with someone.

Step 1 - Get full license

Step 2 - Get bike

Step 3 - Do a novice track day

Step 4 - Look forward to next track day

:-)

Do a novice day with MSV or No Limits that way you'll not get mixed up with the super quick people (because some of them ride like cocking maniacs!). Honestly, it's great fun and noddy days are usually pretty light hearted.

Whereabouts are you? A few of us do the odd track day and you might be able to join in with someone.

i'm in Dorset. so as near to there really. :)

i'm in Dorset. so as near to there really. :)

This thread caught my eye I am in Hampshire and might be interested, just started riding in October.

I might not be the only one either.

Mr Fro, how do I get a full licence ? I presume it's a track day licence

Nope, just a full bike license. :-) If you've not got a full road license you can do an ACU test to get on track.

Dont worry about been slow, in novice your not going to get people riding inches from your tyre or making tight overtakes because like yourself they dont have the confidence to do it.

The main things havving fun.

One of the best hobbies ive had.

Everyones freindly (except the two guys yesterday who hardly spoke a word). Its addictive though.

You need a full licence.

One piece or two piece zip together leathers.boots and good gloves.

Helmet, they say a gold sticker one but mine dosnt have one. I wouldnt be riding in a £800 helmet either.

Petrol is onsite at most tracks. I think mallory was £1.50 a liter yesterday.

Also take a roll of gaffa tape and cable ties. Gets you back on track after a off.

Dont worry about been slow, in novice your not going to get people riding inches from your tyre or making tight overtakes because like yourself they dont have the confidence to do it.

The main things havving fun.

One of the best hobbies ive had.

Everyones freindly (except the two guys yesterday who hardly spoke a word). Its addictive though.

You need a full licence.

One piece or two piece zip together leathers.boots and good gloves.

Helmet, they say a gold sticker one but mine dosnt have one. I wouldnt be riding in a £800 helmet either.

Petrol is onsite at most tracks. I think mallory was £1.50 a liter yesterday.

Also take a roll of gaffa tape and cable ties. Gets you back on track after a off.

How many you done now Joe?

I did a novice day the other month at Cadwell in my boss's Nissan 370Z. Both of us took it in turns to drive. Was a great experience having done a couple on the bike to be able to compare.

Only done two and don't know I'll be doing any more with the new bike.

No mate was comming down the straight and caught two others up at the corner and passed them hard on the brakes on the inside. Tride to push the bike round but it was to fast for the tighter line. Lowslide across the grass.

defo go with the 1st reply just book with either company and go in to the Novice group you will be fine but I would defo invest in good tyres if you haven't already and either rent or buy tyre warmers.

it don't matter first time or not ! it depends how the person looks at things to how he approaches the day itself , I had tyre warmers on my very first trackday , its good practice, its not exactly a disadvantage is it lol it could be cold for a start, aint always warm so I disagree, and 3 laps warming the tyres up when they could be just warm lol

tyre warmers also do more than just heat the tyres up for the track

they keep the heat in the tyres and stops them going off so quick so you get more life out of the tyres

Yer i know that but theres no point in someone buying them for their first day.

They might get out there and hate it.

And they will need a rats tail plug/splitter and genny if theres no power.

Yer i know that but theres no point in someone buying them for their first day.

They might get out there and hate it.

And they will need a rats tail plug/splitter and genny if theres no power.

Got to agree with you bud. For a first time out I wouldn't bother - all the pissing about trying to squeeze a spot in the garages.

Just get out and enjoy the day then scurry off and be first in line at lunch while others dick about with tyre warmers, paddock stands and all the rest of that stuff. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first track day on road bike and binned it. Not much damage to it though and carried on for rest of day. Decided I wanted more days and bought bike and kit to go with it (tyre warmers amongst kit). Second track day I was asked by a girl that was in the garage next to me why I was still in the novice group. I'm so glad I have them as I can go out and have a full session knowing that I can give it some (or as much as I dare) from the very start. I like tyre warmers but I don't think I would have bought them for my first day (now I would have) maybe hiring them would be an idea to see benefits and then buy