Lorry wipes out Ducati Monster!

KTM21

Not defending or criticising anyone, well maybe the driver because he should be aware of the problem..

Watching the clip, the lorry driver manages to hide the bike from view using his mirror and cab post perfectly.

The biker was on the ball stopping early and escaping in time, not certain I would of managed that or just become a bumper ornament.

Terrible driving from the lorry.. but my guess is he was watching his mirror to make sure he didn't mount the curb turning the corner due to the pedestrian. Also possible the pillar blocked the bike from view... but ultimately wtf was he doing turning into that road at that line without checking it's clear first!!!

Terrible driving from the lorry.. but my guess is he was watching his mirror to make sure he didn't mount the curb turning the corner due to the pedestrian. Also possible the pillar blocked the bike from view... but ultimately wtf was he doing turning into that road at that line without checking it's clear first!!!

As a hgv driver myself that bike was lost in the blind spot caused by the mirror by the time the bike was out of the blind spot it was too low to be seen. Not excusing the driver at all he should of been looking well up rd as he turned in and spotted the bike

Clearly the truck driver's fault, but the bike had plenty of time to move out of its way...

but instead he tried to hold his ground against a bigger vehicle that clearly hadn't seen him and got squished :lol:

Clearly the truck driver's fault, but the bike had plenty of time to move out of its way...

but instead he tried to hold his ground against a bigger vehicle that clearly hadn't seen him and got squished :lol:

I also wondered why he didn't at least try nip out the way or had the Ducati broken down by this point????

I also wondered why he didn't at least try nip out the way or had the Ducati broken down by this point????

Maybe a terror freeze it only took a few seconds.

Also the article "What might have prevented this particular incident is automatic emergency braking," - an autonomous safety system that prevents or slows down collisions.

After that would come the autonomous fist related teeth disorder for the driver

I would not have let the driver move the lorry, called the police and give a statement along with the lady so he could be charged with dangerous/careless driving. He either has to admit to proceeding onto the wrong side of the road where he could not see or proceeding even though he could see the biker. Either way his standard of driving merits as court appearance.

Of coarse the lorry driver should have allowed for it..but does anyone else think that the pillars on cars etc.. are getting dangerously big nowadays? In their quest for safety, manufactures have created another massive blind spot! The amount of times I've had to creep slowly and blindly around a bend because the bloody pillar is blocking my view!..but still obviously the lorry drivers fault in this video!

I've never driven a hgv but surely knowing there's a blind spot you'd move your head or head & body to look properly

It doesn't exactly work like that

While you are moving to see the blind spot the blind spot moves coupled with a moving vehicle which stays in the blind spot means you don't see it!

I once lost a wagon in a blind spot

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so we al know who is at fault, but my biggest gripe is the lorry driver himself. Does he jump out and go straight to the rider and ask if he's ok? Or apologise? No. Just looks to see if he can move his lorry. I don't think I'd be as nice as the rider was in that situation, I know getting angry doesn't change things but that would have been most people's default response.