J & S Accessories experience?

Guest guicane

Hi all,

Has any of you had any experience with J&S? I bought my first pair of bike trousers and boots from them last weekend and once I got home and had some time to properly try them on I decided they weren't the right ones for me so I took it back and to my surprise they do not offer refunds unless the item is defective which isn't the case. I was told I could exchange it or get a credit note to spend in store but that they won't give me money back.

This was a unexpected surprise and when asked why wasn't I told this before buying it the salesperson said there's a paper next to the till that mentions that that is the case. I guess they wouldn't sell a thing if they were to mention that (they do mention it as soon as you touch a helmet though, funnily enough).

I have called customer service and emailed their managing director to no avail. They all stick to that awful policy. I know they are not doing anything illegal but I'm shocked about this service and how they lost a customer over this. I went to Infinity motorcycles and said what happened and they were shocked...

Anyhow, I'm in south London and now have a £200 credit note with them which is transferable so I'm just checking if anyone is planning on getting something from there and would rather make a deal to buy this gift voucher for £180.

Thanks for reading and make sure you always ask before buying in store (they would refund if bought online as this is a legal requirement for online shopping).

Having said all that, the sales guys were very nice and knowledgeable and I don't blame them for the company policy but it feels that they constantly have that problem as they know exactly what to say in this situation. What are your experiences with them?

Cheers!

Bought lots of stuff from J&S and never had a problem.

Never had to return anything as I make sure stuff fits before buying it!!

Buying online your are entitled to a cooling off period during which time you can return items for any reason, but that's not the case for instore purchases.

Many stores won't give a refund. Why should they? You had time to browse, try stuff on, and decide for yourself before paying. If you subsequently change your mind, why should they lose out??

Infinity might have been shocked, buy i dare you to test them out.. Buy something from infinity and try to take it back...

In my experience infinity have always been more expensive than J&S anyway.

I use J&S quite a bit and haven't had any issues. If anything has been defective they have sorted it out. Never had to return anything though.

I do also use infinity and they've been great aswell.

No issues down south :)

J&S in maidstone has been great for me, always helpful and probably helps as i know a couple of the people working there.

thats reminds me they doing muc off 2 for £10... must go get some

I have used them face to face at a show and had no problem, but generally i dont expect a refund if i have bought something tangible. Distance selling requires a returns policy but not stores, as you are there in person.

Its good they do store credit tbh. As for not telling you about the policy theres no crime there and most places dont as it does put unsure people off buying, but as long as the info in readily available then they are covered.

You get what you pay for. They are a pile it high sell it cheap retailer. Much the same as the likes of Sports Direct who have the same policy, or the likes of TK Maxx. It's not great customer service to refuse to refund if the product (except helmets) if it's unused and all the labels are still on it, but that's part of the way they keep their costs down. If you want better service you have to go somewhere else and probably pay a little bit more.

You get what you pay for. They are a pile it high sell it cheap retailer. Much the same as the likes of Sports Direct who have the same policy, or the likes of TK Maxx. It's not great customer service to refuse to refund if the product (except helmets) if it's unused and all the labels are still on it, but that's part of the way they keep their costs down. If you want better service you have to go somewhere else and probably pay a little bit more.

It's good protection for their other customers.

Just becaue the item looks unused with tags still attached etc, doesn't mean it's still in brand new, pristine condition.

I'd rather buy from a retailer knowing the item i was buying hadn't been bought already and taken to someone else's house, sat about for a while whilst they decide they don't like it, and returned to the shop.

Anything could have happened to the items whilst it was away from the store - new leather trousers sat about it wearing no underwear, gloves put on after picking nose/arse/worse, item been in a smokey house and stinks of smoke, or malicious actions such as stitching being unpicked, or sharp objects inserted into the armour..

Credit note is the best option to avoid the nasties and ensure new products are actually new.

It's good protection for their other customers.

Just becaue the item looks unused with tags still attached etc, doesn't mean it's still in brand new, pristine condition.

I'd rather buy from a retailer knowing the item i was buying hadn't been bought already and taken to someone else's house, sat about for a while whilst they decide they don't like it, and returned to the shop.

Anything could have happened to the items whilst it was away from the store - new leather trousers sat about it wearing no underwear, gloves put on after picking nose/arse/worse, item been in a smokey house and stinks of smoke, or malicious actions such as stitching being unpicked, or sharp objects inserted into the armour..

Credit note is the best option to avoid the nasties and ensure new products are actually new.

Good stuff, I wouldn't worry about the above personally, the kid who stiched it together in the factory in the far east probably didn't have the best hygiene, or the last guy to try it on in the shop changing rooms may have had no underwear, but I'm glad the refunds policy suits you, enjoy your shopping.

I am lucky and have small local bike shops I bought all my stuff from and I've been back loads to exchange things. Doesn't help your current situation but in the future just go to a local place, not the bike superstores that are already making a bomb.

I got my rst paragon 2 boots from j&s in gateshead and the sole at the front came off a little within 2 weeks of waring them but.they wouldnt replace them as they said they dont know if it was due to road damage.or not (wich i understand) my.word against theres ect still using them 100 quid boots with.the flappy sole lol

I've bought a quite a few items from J&S and have had nothing but good experiences.

Just saying what others have already said but:

The refund policy is legal, and I believe that they do not have to tell you as long as there are signs within the shop saying so. They can be at the till, on the front door, just as long as it is somewhere you can see. Buying on-line you will always get a refund but you may have to send this back to them to get a refund and will not get a refund in store. This is due to the long distance selling act.

Unfortunately I spent half my time trying to explain this to customers when I was a manager in retail.

I got my rst paragon 2 boots from j&s in gateshead and the sole at the front came off a little within 2 weeks of waring them but.they wouldnt replace them as they said they dont know if it was due to road damage.or not (wich i understand) my.word against theres ect still using them 100 quid boots with.the flappy sole lol

Bad service by them. You do NOT have to prove that the item is faulty,

It is up to them to prove that the item is NOT faulty, which to be honest they can't really do.

After 2 weeks use that would imply a faulty product.

£100 Retail price. Most likely £50 cost price so for the sake of £50 they've lost a customer who'd most likely be spending many £100's if not more over their lifetime

The wife got a jacket from J&S in Doncaster

after a few uses some of the stitching came out!!

this was one of their own jackets

we took it back showed them the problem and they asked us what we would like to do!

None of this its only a credit note crap

We needed a jacket for her so ended up getting a better one at twice the cost obviously paying the difference!