Still alive...and Moving!

asharin

Just now realised, that I haven't posted in ages. Have lurked on and off, but not posted!

Nice new forum look by the way :D

Been a busy year , helped my mum move to Spain, and now it's my turn...not to Spain alas, but moving to Wales!

Moving to Mountain Ash, seems a nice area. Getting a 3 bed semi detached house, with 2 reception rooms, and front and rear garden....for about half the price of a 2 bed FLAT here in southampton.

Would be daft not to move really!

Moving to Mountain Ash, seems a nice area. Getting a 3 bed semi detached house, with 2 reception rooms, and front and rear garden....for about half the price of a 2 bed FLAT here in southampton.

Yeah i think I can buy half of Wales for the price of a London flat :lol: :lol: Good luck with the move :thumb:

Yeah i think I can buy half of the Prince of Wales for the price of a London flat :lol: :lol: Good luck with the move :thumb:

Fixed it for you.

:mrgreen:

More or less the same here, just done 13 weeks solid of 12hrs shifts, 10 weeks in Galway Ireland the last 3 weeks in the Shetlands Isles that's as remote as you can get. The Shetlands is stunning, some superb biking roads. Next island I'll be stepping on will be the IOM for the Manx TT all hard earned this year!!

Moving to Mountain Ash, seems a nice area.

"Nice" isn't generally a word that's associated with anywhere around there.

Be aware that you're not going into some little rural paradise......it's a very tough area that was hit hard by Thatcher's policies 30 years ago.

If I went there I'd be considered an outsider initially even though I sound as Welsh as you can get. So just be aware of what you're going in to.

Wales isn't all rural farming communities.......in fact most of the South Wales valleys are devastated former industrial areas which are pretty run down and very poor. Hence the house prices.

WOW :shock: way to rain on the parade Xtreme :lol:

Don't get me wrong......there are worse places he could have chosen.

The Gurnos in Methyr.....which is 10 miles down the road is just one! How does a healthy life expectancy of 58 sound?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356247/Gurnos-Merthyr-Tydfil-The-British-estate-healthy-life-expectancy-just-58-8-years.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thing is......it depends very much on the type of person you are! I'd have no problem fitting in up there cos I'm old, Welsh, vulgar, I've lost more teeth than I have, I've got scars, a twisted nose, a confrontational attitude to authority, and I was a naughty boy in my youth.

It's years since I've been up there, but I know the WDA have spent a lot of money on landscaping over the former industrial landscape and slag heaps.

But the fact remains that some places in that region have extreme levels of poverty (thanks to Thatcher)......and that brings a lot of social problems with it.

There's probably some families (across 2 generations) that have never had a job. Not their fault.......they were considered "expendable" by the government.

Be aware that you're not going into some little rural paradise......it's a very tough area that was hit hard by Thatcher's policies 30 years ago.

If I went there I'd be considered an outsider initially even though I sound as Welsh as you can get. So just be aware of what you're going in to.

Wales isn't all rural farming communities.......in fact most of the South Wales valleys are devastated former industrial areas which are pretty run down and very poor. Hence the house prices.

Jeeez hope he hasn't completed on the move yet...

You forgot the rain .... Don't forget the rain .

• 4 weeks later...

Move went well, aside from on Moving day it pissed down with rain! All the way from Southampton to Perthcelyn in the rain. My boots were full of water, my gloves were wet through, but the rest was okay, as waterproofs worked :D

Finally got internet today, and we're half unpacked. Spent around 1k in Ikea yesterday lol, new furniture and a new cooker.

Locals have actually been quite friendly, though confused as to why we moved when there's not much work here, until I mention I already have a job as the company I work for (Nurse Plus) has an office in Cardiff and I just transferred. Good thing about working in Mental Health Support, there's usually plenty of work :)