Advanced motoring?

I did and still am in the IAM on car driving front. From memory the bike stuff is very similar, and something I'm considering doing too.

There may be some variances (based on a couple of decades having gone by) but roughly the process is:

1) You join a local group. They're almost all volunteers.

2) You'll perhaps be given a talk on what and how to ride, and assigned an "observer".

3) You'll arrange with the observer a number of runs out, usually for an hour or two to suit you both. Think of each one as a lesson, they'll watch and comment, much like a lesson.

4) After a series of observed runs, you'll hopefully be riding to the Roadcraft way of doing things, their system of dealing with hazards.

5) You then take a test, for this rather than your observer, you'll get a member who's a police qualified rider, and they'll take you on all the different types of roads and hazards they can.

There's usually a test fee, joining fee, and then yearly subscription (currently £32.50 I think).

As to benefits. There may be some fringe ones on insurance, but varies and may just be sales tactics. I've never had any savings on my car insurance from it.

The biggest benefit, if you buy into it, is that the police properly qualified riders/drives know what they're doing, and you've learned how and what they do. Sure you'll not be making blue-light runs, but the system they've just taught you is what they're supposed to be using, as it's supposed to be good, safe, and work.

It might be a good stating point for you to buy and read roadcraft ( http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). that's what you'll be learning so if you disagree, would save you a lot of time.

As I say, may have changed a bit since I did it, but doubt it's changed much. Good luck!

I did, I am and don't hesitate, do it. My wife bought me the Ride for Life from IAM a few Christmases ago. We all think we are good riders, we're not.

Do the course and you won't regret it. Stick with it and don't quit half way through.

I'm doing it next year. I plan to join the blood bikers but need 12 months on my licence plus advanced test.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I did the Skills for Life course with Cadam in Chelmsford in 2005. I took the test after a 4 day intensive instruction course with their then Chief Observer Ian Maxwell. Brilliant.

The test was conducted by a guy who tested the Police riders. Strict but fair.

Do it, but I suggest a day doing BikeSafe first.

I'm doing it next year. I plan to join the blood bikers but need 12 months on my licence plus advanced test.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is one of the main reasons I'm considering it

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

My initial interest was sparked by Blood Bikes. So I bought a bike did the advanced test bought myself a white helmet only to be told by my local blood bikes group (White Knights) that I lived in the wrong place. I won't tell you what I said. :shock:

My initial interest was sparked by Blood Bikes. So I bought a bike did the advanced test bought myself a white helmet only to be told by my local blood bikes group (White Knights) that I lived in the wrong place. I won't tell you what I said. :shock:

Was there no group in your area?

I have been an examiner for both for over 30 years, does that count?

I also wrote and delivered the RoSPA diploma for advanced instructors, does that count as well?

I am also car qualified for both...... :wink: :wink:

Oh yeh there is a group (White Knights) that cover West Yorkshire I apparently live in the wrong part of West Yorkshire. :shock:

I'm waiting for them to come back to me when they are short of riders so I can tell them I am busy.

Oh yeh there is a group (White Knights) that cover West Yorkshire I apparently live in the wrong part of West Yorkshire. :shock:

I'm waiting for them to come back to me when they are short of riders so I can tell them I am busy.

Haha! Very altruistic of you!

Contact your local group and you can probably arrange a free 1 hour assessment ride, which should give you a feel for what it's like and whether you want to join.

I did that earlier this year after reading a thread on here, and I'm doing the observed rides at the moment.

• 1 month later...
I have been an examiner for both for over 30 years, does that count?

I also wrote and delivered the RoSPA diploma for advanced instructors, does that count as well?

I am also car qualified for both...... :wink: :wink:

I would imagine that yes it all counts.

Maybe you could give the lad some advice next?

I'm currently training for the test. Membership was £149 for the first year, which covers IAM and the regional motorbike group fee, but also the cost of the actual test. Most of the first year's fee goes toward the police qualified examiner for your test, and is a one off charge (assuming you pass the test in a maximum of two years, i think). After the first year, it's only around £60 a year if I remember correctly.

Prospective members can attend one of the monthly meets free of charge, where they will be assigned an observer and go out for a ride for, say, a couple of hours or so. At the end, you will be given a friendly assessment of your riding. After that you will probably have a good idea as to whether it's for you.

I reckon it's excellent value. The observers are volunteers, and highly trained. I've learned stacks in the 3 months I've been a member. As well as regular observed runs, where you get a full report on your progress after each one, there's excellent social rides and other events. They also run additional courses, some free, others for a modest charge, such as riding with a pillion, advanced braking, look lean and roll etc. There's also organized trips to Wales, France etc. which you can sign up for.

As far as I know, they both cover the same material from roadcraft, and they both use the same approach, which is based on rides with an observer following you. The main difference is that the IAM certificate lasts for life, but the RoSPA one lasts for three years, after which you have to do a (free) refresher test.

Is anyone an IAM certified advanced rider? If so how did you get qualified and was if worth the extra effort?

IMO IAM and RoSpa are just glorified social clubs. There is no statistics that support any claim that you will be safer rider after doing the training. Otherwise the insurance companies would have made the insurance much lower and they don't. I dare you to pove me wrong with some accidents stats and facts. Not likely. If anything you will be more dangerous on the road. At least I know a guy with IAM that got more expensive policy after declaring it's advanced training. You do the maths LOL

Do not get me wrong any training is good. I have few problems with "advanced riding". Giving you false sense of control. Some very controversial advices in Roadcraft. Speed aka making progress obsession.

Not to mention the loss of control is one of the major reasons for accidents. Means better spent your money on some real motorcycle control training not imaginery observers. Like off road and MX, track ride or say controlled training like: http://www.i2imca.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes I have been with IAM riders - it is just a bad joke :lol:

FYI riding in groups is proven to be more dangerous then riding solo :angel12:

Currently hold Silver Rospa ....

And looking into local Iam group for more social side of things

Both work from roadcraft with minor differences in their execution .

Main difference at present is as mentioned

IAMroadsmart as long as you pay your yearly subs your an advanced rider

Rospa.. every three years you must take a retest as well as paying your annual dues to keep your advanced status. . (Better in my opinion )

I undertook no formal training for my Rospa apart from completeing 2 bikesafe courses and the DSA enhanced riders scheme .

Applied for the Rospa Test and achieved Silver .Just recently had my compulsory 3 yr test and achieved Silver again.

Regarding if it makes you safer ... it depends on how you apply it.

Regarding riding with others if your riding with a mixed bag of riders then the risk is higher due to varying styles ,but if for instance riding with a group of similar matched rider styles ( eg advanced group rides) then it reduces the group risk as all working on same principles.

Not a fan. Went out on a couple of sample days and found the whole thing pushing a speed agenda. You only need to be looking at vanishing points if you're tanking it - the solution is to not ride like a dick, not become a safer dick.

Done the 'Day out with a copper' one, that was actually useful. We chatted about road positioning regarding other traffic and junctions, and I've factored that into my riding.

So, advanced instruction is probably useful if you love riding in groups, riding as a dick or wearing high-viz a lot. Doing the days out with coppers is probably good for most people, a lot cheaper and you don't have to hang about with a bunch of sanctimonious certificate wavers. And the fact that blood bikes demands advanced training even though it's normal road riding says a bunch to me about their elitist mindset.

Like all things, I'm frequently wrong.

And the fact that blood bikes demands advanced training even though it's normal road riding says a bunch to me about their elitist mindset.

We hand over a marked up bike with blues and twos to riders, insisting that those riders have an advanced qualification is the best way that we can think of having our bikes ridden in a consistent, safe and courteous manner.

Back on topic, I underwent Rospa training a few years ago and I think it has made me a safer rider, slower no, safer yes, and I would recommend it to every rider.

Not to mention the loss of control is one of the major reasons for accidents. Means better spent your money on some real motorcycle control training not imaginery observers. Like off road and MX, track ride or say controlled training like: http://www.i2imca.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree. Most accidents occur when diesel or oil is involved. https://www.mceinsurance.com/resources/uk-motorcycle-accident-hotspots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My plan is to do a number of offroad courses next year, the Africa Twin two-dayer in Wales being at the top of the list.

Other tips for avoiding accidents is not to be young, don't be male, don't ride in cities, don't ride at 30mph or 60mph, stick mainly to East Anglia (unless you're a woman) and do all your riding at night. :D

And the fact that blood bikes demands advanced training even though it's normal road riding says a bunch to me about their elitist mindset.

We hand over a marked up bike with blues and twos to riders, insisting that those riders have an advanced qualification is the best way that we can think of having our bikes ridden in a consistent, safe and courteous manner.

I apologise for the wording, that's what comes from being woken up at 4:30 in a house gone mad! It was confrontational and possibly insulting, for that I'm sorry.

I stick by the sentiment that teaching people to ride "with progress" just encourages poor decision making and a false sense of security. If people want to go fast there are race days, B roads are not for that.

BB are welcome to use any selection criteria they see fit, I don't agree with it.