All the gear for nowt

Hey everyone, a few years back i had a second job, working at the local tip. The amount of times we had bikers throwing all their gear out when they packed up. So i used to claim them, and thanks to this i managed to get 2 sets of leather trousers, 1 fabric trousers, 1 leather jacket, 1 fabric jacket, 2 pairs of boots and one one piece leather suit and three pairs of gloves. All the equipment is in near perfect condition, i only took the ones that fit me, i saw more thrown out!

While i may not have stylish fashionable gear, i got it for nothing!

So lesson is, if you are skint, always ask at the local tip, theyd happily put anything aside for you. And you never know whats going to turn up!

Top tip! (No pun intended)

My instructor said charity shops also have no idea about price so are also happy hunting grounds :thumb:

I have taken stuff that has "shrunk' to the charity shops.

Aye, nearly every tip I know has this "Nope, it's rubbish now" philosophy..

I remember the first time someone mentioned that they go to the tip and come back with more stuff than they left with and I had no idea what they were on about! Then I discovered that their local tip had an alladins cave of a shop attached to it! :eek2:

You're right, the things people throw away! Such a shame.. But the world we live in now just makes it too easy to buy shiny and new for pennies..

I actually took some genuine rubbish round the tip the other day and the guys in charge told me they wouldn't take it. They take only green waste and stuff that can sold or recycled.

But rubbish... :scratch:

I actually took some genuine rubbish round the tip the other day and the guys in charge told me they wouldn't take it. They take only green waste and stuff that can sold or recycled.

But rubbish... :scratch:

Milton, by any chance? They're ruddy useless there...

Sure wuz. Any tips for where to go for a better than rubbish experience?

Same at our local Adolf centre, once it's in there, it's theirs.

But I did have some fun last time, dumped a huge box of cd albums, a good 3 or 4 of the workers came over and started going through them, each making their own little pile of favourites.....

I thought shall I tell them? Naaaa spent 10 mins getting rid of rest of my crap and then watched them open the cases to find jack Sh;t inside, Ahahahahah made my day. They were all safely tucked up in my cd folder at home.

Sure wuz. Any tips for where to go for a better than rubbish experience?

Nope, afraid not. I had a big bottle of contaminated oil to dispose of and they wouldn't take it or tell me where else I could take it. Ended up hiding it behind some clutter in the garage at my old house and leaving it there when I moved out :lol:

As above

Once it's in their yard, it's theirs and won't part with it.

Breaks my heart to see what ends up in there

Try the Sevenoaks tip. People drive there in Porsche cayennes or other stupidly expensive 4x4s and dump loads of virtually brand new stuff. It's disgusting to see what people throw away.

It's right posh round here.......We have a recycling centre in St Neots......so you have to sort stuff out before you take it down there to make sure it all goes in the right places........ :wink:

With clothing I tend to take it to the clothing recycling point at the local firestation. ......that way anything they make from it benefits the firefighters benevolent fund....... 8-)

As above

Try the Sevenoaks tip. People drive there in Porsche cayennes or other stupidly expensive 4x4s and dump loads of virtually brand new stuff. It's disgusting to see what people throw away.

It was Sevenoaks tip I was thinking of

As above

It was Sevenoaks tip I was thinking of

Yep, it's a a disgrace what people chuck. I'm sure the people who run the tip are making a fortune on eBay selling all the good stuff.

years ago, I had the job of driving round all the tips in the south east collecting LPG bottles for FloGas

The hampshire sites each had a little stall selling bits that people had dumped and I suppose it paid fr their tea and biccies, that was long before ebay and the net!

When i worked at the tip it was for may gurney, they paid the council millions for the contract, big money to be made in waste, what always got me was the green waste, you take your green waste to the tip, from there they take it to the nearest transfer station, where it is shredded and put into big piles to rot down, once composted its bagged up and sold back to the public at a high price, who then use it to grow stuff and so the cycle begins again.

We once had to shut the site down as there was radioactive material in the metal container.

Living near the military we once had about 15 large boxes of ration packs brought in, still in date. I pretty much lived of boil in the bag meals for months haha.

After a while we were told we needed to recycle even more, which meant breaking open bags and sorting the waste, horrible work! Well i remember a little old lady coming in, chucking some bags on the machine, so i told her we need to sort it, she grumbled then got in her car and sped off, so doing my job i opened the first bag and it was full of dildo's, butt plugs etc!

We also had someone from the military chuck some very large live ammunition into a several tonne compacter then drive off, luckily i saw it before i pressed the button!

It is a very "interesting" line of work.

They are told they are not aloud to sell or give anything away, but we often had people come in and give us bacon butties and the like in return for saving certain things back for them