10w/40 car oil vs 10w/40 bike oil??

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

"resist the very high shearing and contact pressures found when the gears are in operation."

from what I`ve seen / read I`m under the assumption that initially the oil is well up to the job; Castrol gtx in my case; of lubricating the gear box but that it degrades a lot quicker than a dedicated gear oil sae80 or similar ..

the answer bein a more frequent oil changing schedule 3- 4k miles ..

:popcorn:

Also gear oil is designed to last a very long time far greater than a bikes service interval

Also gear oil is designed to last a very long time far greater than a bikes service interval

it has a very high viscosity ... well the stuff I`ve had occasion to see/use .. which frankly would suck the life from a motorbike engine...

And relevant to the oil spec suggested for my bike!

well.. not exactly.

firstly.. yamaha recommend yamalube 4.. a motorcycle oil. (obviously.. they woould.)

And.. more importantly that the oil regardless of brand is JASO MA compliant.

only motorcycle oils are designated JASO MA. as you quoted in post number 17

this is the spec for your oil cut from page 8.1 of the owners manual, which you missed out in that post.

1664489393_ScreenShot2017-01-07at11_25_13.png.4d9c1e1cb683a72f4844da1752af18d7.png

so... if the oil you are using in your bike is not JASO MA compliant. (and no car oil will be) then you're not using the oil spec suggested for your bike.

you also said in the same post (17)

No where in that does it state that I MUST use bike specific oil if it does then I have missed it!

well.. the truth of the matter is that they dont need to. if you followed their suggestion then you would only be using Motorcycle oil.. as that is the only oil that will have JASO MA written on its label.

seems to me Yamaha.. wouldnt expect you to ignore the engine oil bottles with pictures of bikes on them.. and go for one with a car on the label.

or am I missing something here.

Edited by Gerontious

Many years ago I put car oil in a TDM 850 (couldn't get bike oil) and it caused the clutch to slip.

Drained out and replaced with bike oil and all fine. Luckily I didn't have to replace the plates!

It's quite possible your bike will be fine with a car oil.......but is it worth the risk just to save the equivalent of the price of a gallon or two of petrol?

Jaso is to say it's been tested and won't cause clutch slip

well yes. and so this means its a motorcycle oil.. and so its ideal for a motorcycle engine that has the clutch and gear box lubricated by the same oil.

What's the difference? Besides the price. Halfords currently have part synthetic oil 10w/40 4 litres for £12 or 5 litre bike oil for £29. Is it a big no no using car oil for bikes? Genuine question. :D

In the case of Halfords, it's probably the exact same stuff since Halfords "Motorcycle" oil has no motorcycle specific (ie JASO MA) classification.

Which makes me a tad suspicious!

Personally, I use Motul 5100. It's as good as any and comes in 5 litre containers - so I can get 3 changes out of 2 tubs of oil, which makes it cheap too.