How to question street furniture

Phooey

How do I question appropriate street furniture?

When I come off of the motorway for home I join a national speed limit dual carriageway. I then turn left from a roundabout, still national speed limit and left again. At the second roundabout I could go straight on into an area that is being developed. Still national speed limit but a couple of hundred metres along this road is a speed bump. At 60mph a bike would be in trouble if it hit it especially since at night it would be hit before it is seen.

A speed hump in a GLF zone will be a first. Never come across it before and it leaves the local authority wide open to litigation.

As mentioned are you certain of your speed limits on the road where the speed hump is located?

From my knowledge this section still stands

Road humps can only be constructed on roads which have a speed limit of 30mph or less, and have street lighting. Their construction and signing is regulated by the Department for Transport (DfT). There is a requirement to consult with the emergency services, organisations or groups representing people who use the road such as bus operators, other transport service providers and residents and traders of the street where the road humps are to be installed...

The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999 4.5 The Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1999 enable highway authorities to adopt a very flexible approach to the design of road humps. However, highway authorities must exercise a duty of care and should ensure that innovative designs do not compromise safety. 4.6 It should be noted that road humps cannot be installed on roads with speed limits greater than 30mph without special authorisation. To date no road hump design has been found suitable for use on roads with speed limits greater than 30mph

Are you sureof the speed limits ?

Any link to the location

Absolutely certain ... I'll get some picture but AA route planner shows it quite well. Come off the M5 at J21 turn left. Left at second roundabout and you see National speed limit sign ... across next roundabout and you see no change in speed limit but along there the speed bump is clearly visible. The white paint has eroded somewhat now and less clear. Still National speed limit with a speed bump though.

A speed hump in a GLF zone will be a first. Never come across it before and it leaves the local authority wide open to litigation.

As mentioned are you certain of your speed limits on the road where the speed hump is located?

Definitely not speed limit change since the previous national speed limit sign before previous roundabout.

I stand to be corrected, but I thought any road with street lighting was 30mph limit unless there were repeated signs saying otherwise.

On mobile so haven't been able to look at the street view links properly.

I strongly suspect this is still a private road belonging to one of the construction companies which has not yet been adopted by the council.

There are streetlamps but no signage, so this would be a 30mph limit if public.

The 10mph sign is not an official one (and unenforceable BTW), it's a site speed limit erected by the construction companies, the lowest speed limit on a public road in the UK is 20mph.

Can see your concern though, most motorists are unaware of the street lighting rule, and anyone accelerating off that roundabout and hitting that speed bump would probably have a fair case for litigation. The construction company would be wise to get more signage up.

The need for repeater signs was repealed about 15 years ago and just enforced the fact that if there was street light then a 30 limit applies unless signs state otherwise.

As to whether the road is deemed a public highway to which the public have access will be subject to a check with the Highways act at your local library, and to say that most drivers are not aware of the street light rule is not accurate, they are, but as a 30 limit with speed humps, the chances of success in a litigation case in the event of a crash would be 0%

Had it been a GLF limit, litigation success would be 100% but not in a posted 30 and street lights are regarded as the repeater signs of old.

The need for repeater signs was repealed about 15 years ago and just enforced the fact that if there was street light then a 30 limit applies unless signs state otherwise.

As to whether the road is deemed a public highway to which the public have access will be subject to a check with the Highways act at your local library, and to say that most drivers are not aware of the street light rule is not accurate, they are, but as a 30 limit with speed humps, the chances of success in a litigation case in the event of a crash would be 0%

Had it been a GLF limit, litigation success would be 100% but not in a posted 30 and street lights are regarded as the repeater signs of old.

Odd that I've not noticed it before but the road I live on, less than a mile from this one, has 20 mph repeater signs but no gateway signage comming off of the busy national speed limit single carriageway. I assume that it would be difficult to prosecute anyone for breaking the speed limit on this road. Although dangerous driving at anything over 30mph would be easy!

I strongly suspect this is still a private road belonging to one of the construction companies

No Baloo, it is access to residential properties - lots of them.

Odd that I've not noticed it before but the road I live on, less than a mile from this one, has 20 mph repeater signs but no gateway signage comming off of the busy national speed limit single carriageway. I assume that it would be difficult to prosecute anyone for breaking the speed limit on this road. Although dangerous driving at anything over 30mph would be easy!

A lot of speeding prosecutions have been contested successfully on the basis that the signage was unlawfull, but it was more prevelant after the demise of traffic management departments within the Police service because there was no need for local authorities to consult the Police and the Police were not going to waste their time checking of the local authority was going to ignore recommendations.

Occasionaly this situation does still occur. I helped someone a year or so ago who had a good case for challenging a prosecution because of unlawfull and incorrect signage, and they won, but these days it tends to be the exception rather than the rule.

That said, many local authorities are still lazy when it comes to checking what work has been completed against what is contained within the regulations which takes me back to similar comments I made in a previous post regarding parking regs.

I strongly suspect this is still a private road belonging to one of the construction companies

You seem very sure about this Phooey, but clearly don't know what you are talking about.

All of the roads in my estate still belong to Taylor Wimpey, and have not been adopted by the council, they access 1200 residential properties, and the estate is now 12 years old.

It may not be a private road, it's supposition on my part, though given the lack of signage, road lineage, etc, it's very likely as no council would adopt a road in this state, nor leave it in that state. Your reasoning why this couldn't be a private road because it accesses residential properties is just nonsense.

If you want to check for sure, ask the council....

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-services/parking-travel-roads/roads/road-adoption/adopted-roads/

You seem very sure about this Phooey, but clearly don't know what you are talking about.

All of the roads in my estate still belong to Taylor Wimpey, and have not been adopted by the council, they access 1200 residential properties, and the estate is now 12 years old.

It may not be a private road, it's supposition on my part, though given the lack of signage, road lineage, etc, it's very likely as no council would adopt a road in this state, nor leave it in that state. Your reasoning why this couldn't be a private road because it accesses residential properties is just nonsense.

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/my-services/parking-travel-roads/roads/road-adoption/adopted-roads/

I don't think these insults were warranted, do you?

I don't think these insults were warranted, do you?

Insults? I don't see any. Are you a bit over sensitive?

You asked a question, people are taking the time to answer your question, but you seem to want to rubbish some of the answers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Regardless of the legal side I have some sympathy for the OP...

I nearly came a cropper here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8939644,-1.1884868,3a,75y,190.63h,33.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spzzRIVGEXJCtkTpomJ-w-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It was dark, I did not know the road I believe I was below the 30mph limit. I saw the traffic calming and the derestricted sign ahead.. I just did not see the speed bump :shock:

Some traffic calming measures really need to be thought about more, there are a few places where 2 inconsiderately parked cars cause grid lock....

Short humps like yours with a PIllion are not good to the bottom of my trophy, there are places we dont go now because of speed humps :(

Worse thing it does not stop the ar*eholes :evil: