Sky are not very charitable

TC1474

Very local to me this, the show is great each year so it'll be sad if it has to move on. However SKY are a business and they have been closing the office for a day each year at a cost to themselves, the article says its over £100k each time. Drop in the ocean to someone like SKY, they really should suck it up or embrace it and get involved with the show.

I bet sky where not complaining when £3m was spent on the square, now they don't like the results....

"St Peter’s Square has had around £3 million spent on it to turn it into an events venue."

If your cancelling your sky policy for any reason over the next year tell them this is why :up:

The only reasonable complaint would be the blocking of fire escapes, but surely they can find a way to avoid that happening without forcing the organisers to move the event!

Very easily, Sky aren't exactly in the middle of the square - they're right on the edge.

Sky are now supporting the event :). Skys CEO got wind and its sorted.

Do you think that is because of the bad publicity Sky were getting over it?

Either way, good result for all....

No doubt, a post was made on Facebook by someone who'd started a petition with the response from the CEO. :

Deleted re Sky and Roughleys as Sky are now supporting the event and donating to Roughleys 3 charities - people power works :) Great news for Roughley's Bike Show 2017

Sky are now supporting the show and its three charity beneficiaries.

(Please share this wherever you can).

I received this email this morning in response to my email to Jeremy Darroch, the CEO of Sky TV, on Wednesday.

"Dear Mr Hulse,

Thank you for your email of 15 February about Roughleys Bike Show which takes place close to the Sky Contact Centre in St Peter’s Square, Stockport over the August Bank Holiday.

I was sorry to read about the challenges experienced in recent years securing a suitable location for this popular charity event and I apologise for the concern caused by Sky’s enquiries regarding support to find a suitable alternative venue.

From your note it is clear that St Peter’s Square is the ideal location for Roughleys Bike Show, and Sky is pleased to support the event taking place there again this August. For context, I understand that our local management were concerned about the safety of Sky staff as fire evacuation points are compromised during the event, and were trying to find ways to stay open to support our customers. They were seeking to work with the Council and the organisers to explore alternative options.

However, as you have said, it appears that the best solution is to hold the event where you have done so in the previous couple of years. Consequently, we will close the Sky Contact Centre in Stockport again this August Bank Holiday and Sky will make alternative arrangements to support our customers from other contact centres.

Thank you also for making me aware of the impressive achievements of the NABD over the past 26 years, helping more than 11,000 people with disabilities to enjoy the freedom and independence of motorcycling. I understand that Roughleys Bike Show is also a long term contributor to the Rainbow Trust Children’s Charity and the Together Trust. I appreciate that the continuation of the excellent work by all three charities is reliant on donations, like those they receive from Roughleys Bike Show. As a gesture of Sky’s support of the event, and to say sorry for any inconvenience caused, we will be making a donation to the three charities of £1,500 each.

Yours sincerely,

Jeremy Darroch"

I have written back to Mr Darroch to express the thanks of Roughley's Bike Show and the NABD for his speedy and most positive intervention.

I would ask now that any petitions or protests in connection with this issue are brought to a halt, as this is a most amicable and pleasant result.

As I am off to France on holiday in half an hour I would appreciate your help in spreading the word on Facebook & Twitter.

Rick Hulse

NABD Chairman

Well I'm fed up with sky anyway, NowTV looks a good alternative..

Now tv is ok , I had it for a while for sport to watch footy live , picture was ok but not as good as good as sky as its works through wifi, , and there is a bit of delay , my mate was texting me celebrating a goal 20- 30 seconds before they scored on my TV :lol: suppose it would be OK for films etc .