Nervous novice - fighting fear?

Oh dear someone, yeah my headlamp is actually so week it was like riding blind! It was routes that I know at least but I feel like my cbt today will give me the confidence I need to get going properly :)

I believe the CG125 only ever used BA20d fitting bulbs, the same as mine, so if you are not using a halogen bulb then it may be worth replacing if you want to go out at night again in the future.

You can easily tell the difference from the shape, this is the standard type of bulb:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-bulbs/halfords-bike-it-motorcycle-bulb-hmb395-12v-35-35w

And this is a halogen one:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-bulbs/halfords-bike-it-motorcycle-bulb-hmb417-12v-35-35w

You can buy them cheaper online but I tried one from eBay (or Amazon) that claimed to be the brightest, yet that Halfords one was better that it.

Hope today goes well, and you have fun.

The linked 417 is a direct replacement for the standard 395, both are 12V 35/35W. Which is why they are so bad.

35W is just not enough, and with both beams being the same power it is effectively a choice of one or the other. With the full beam you basically lose sight of the road in front of you.

First Saturday ride and omg was so busy :o lost my nerve a little!

Saturday ride, let's call that step 2 :mrgreen:

step 3 is.... *music* THE ROUNDABOUT CHALLENGE!!

within the next week you need to have completed the following

for the purposes of the hoggs roundabout challenge, mini roundabouts do not count.

1. exited a roundabout at the first/left exit

2. exited a roundabout at the second/straight on exit

3. exited a roundabout at the third/right exit

4. gone all the way round wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

First Saturday ride and omg was so busy :o lost my nerve a little!

Saturday ride, let's call that step 2 :mrgreen:

step 3 is.... *music* THE ROUNDABOUT CHALLENGE!!

within the next week you need to have completed the following

for the purposes of the hoggs roundabout challenge, mini roundabouts do not count.

1. exited a roundabout at the first/left exit

2. exited a roundabout at the second/straight on exit

3. exited a roundabout at the third/right exit

4. gone all the way round wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So I've done 1-3 but only small roundabouts? Well except one large one but at 7am so quiet as hell :') rode for at least three hours yesterday! Few sketchy moments D: including finding the engine case instead of the back brake, only having 9psi in my rear tyre and not checking shoulder before pulling out eeeeee

:lol: Well I don't think you're supposed to go do 21 miles (or any in the eyes of the law!) on your own without a CBT, but at least you'll nail it now!

Just seen this, I did have a CBT but just a year and 364 days old CBT haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant! Have you smashed through the Hoggs Eight Step Programme now then? :lol:

I was out with a few guys on Friday, and was amazed to hear that one of them passed his test last summer and had only done about 1,000 miles since then. Nothing beats time on the bike I've found, and I can definitely say that the more I've ridden, the more my skill and confidence have improved. Keep it up!

Brilliant! Have you smashed through the Hoggs Eight Step Programme now then? :lol:

I was out with a few guys on Friday, and was amazed to hear that one of them passed his test last summer and had only done about 1,000 miles since then. Nothing beats time on the bike I've found, and I can definitely say that the more I've ridden, the more my skill and confidence have improved. Keep it up!

Nooo I don't know anything past step three haha! Spent at least an hour riding yesterday and little bikey got up to 60 waheeyyy downhill :lol: it tries at least for its mighty 11bhp.

Why would you not count? For example, yesterday I did 228 miles and 1,009 yards. Obviously I do not count it in feet, that would be weird.

I also still "colour in" my map when I go on a bit of an A or B road for the first time. Both started out just as little things I did when learning. Judging my progress by how much farther I went, and to choose new roads to make riding around town to practice more interesting. But the map is way more interesting now and still gets me going places I never would have otherwise, and the mileage is done by GPS anyway so why not still look at it?

Ooopps, you OK, and how is the bike :?:

Bikes totally fine aside from minor scuffs, my leg aches a bit but I did 130 miles afterwards so only v. Light bruising :lol:

Glad you're OK! and fair play for getting straight back on. sadly it's the spills you learn a lot more from than everything going fine!

ahead of the game as well... falling off was step 18 :lol:

Ooopps, you OK, and how is the bike :?:

Bikes totally fine aside from minor scuffs, my leg aches a bit but I did 130 miles afterwards so only v. Light bruising :lol:

Glad you're OK! and fair play for getting straight back on. sadly it's the spills you learn a lot more from than everything going fine!

ahead of the game as well... falling off was step 18 :lol:

Woooo! :') We're coming up to our first thousand miles together <3 :D

• 3 weeks later...