Wiring in a USB port

Lateralus

I've bought one of these USB charging ports:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QTA1G7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_zQLEe3wtNOCog

It says it should just be wired straight to the battery, but I'm a complete novice with electrics and am a little nervous about causing myself an issue.

End of the cables look like this - what should I connect them to? IMG_20170801_214825.thumb.jpg.f82dbd600824610f01a29efedc55e27f.jpg

I'd wire it via a relay connected to the ignition circuit........ :wink:

See, I was wondering whether there was a way to ensure its turned off other than just the magnetic switch in the cover. How do you actually go about that?

Black to negative.. red to positive. on the battery.. its not complicated.. and theres no reason to make it so.

I'd like this to be the answer, but just wanted to check if there's a “better” option!

I'd wire it via a relay connected to the ignition circuit........ :wink:

there you go.. how to make it complicated when you're a complete novice with electrics. and nervous about causing an issue. :lol:

easy.

Just saying that's what I'd do.......that way it'll only burst into flames when you turn the ignition on....... :wink:

Seriously though.....These things draw a small amount of current all the time = flat battery if you don't use the bike for a while. Also, I wouldn't wire anything directly to the battery without a fuse in line...... :shock:

if you want to be sure its off then go the relay route its only a couple of extra wires and nothing hard or complicated

The hardest part is finding a switched live and a location for the relay

if you are not bothered about the risk of draining the battery then go straight to the battery

replace dual fans with USB socket :D

2wganbc.jpg

if you want to be sure its off then go the relay route its only a couple of extra wires and nothing hard or complicated

if you are not bothered about the risk of draining the battery then go straight to the battery

2wganbc.jpg

That seems straightforward, and a safe option. Given how regularly I ride I'm not particularly concerned about the battery draining, but notwithstanding that it claims to be fused, I have bought a cheap bit of kit, so am erring on the side of caution!

That said, I don't know where to start finding a switched live, or what I'm looking for in possible relay locations! Assume you're talking to an idiot here, because on this subject, you are!

Can I hijack a tiny bit?

Ive got an optimate connection wired in under my seat, is there a cheap adaptor to make this receive a USB cable to charge my phone?

Yes

Can you point me in the direction pls? :). Ive only found one optimate do for £30

2wganbc.jpg

That seems straightforward, and a safe option. Given how regularly I ride I'm not particularly concerned about the battery draining, but notwithstanding that it claims to be fused, I have bought a cheap bit of kit, so am erring on the side of caution!

That said, I don't know where to start finding a switched live, or what I'm looking for in possible relay locations! Assume you're talking to an idiot here, because on this subject, you are!

Something like the tail lights is a good option and you will figure out the relay location as you go along :-)

Can I hijack a tiny bit?

Ive got an optimate connection wired in under my seat, is there a cheap adaptor to make this receive a USB cable to charge my phone?

Yes

Can you point me in the direction pls? :). Ive only found one optimate do for £30

I answered your question what more do you need :lol:

It depends on what connection you have? Get us a pic :thumb:

[mention]Westbeef[/mention] you could buy something like this http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/w4-w4-cigar-plug-socket-lead-caravanning-electrical-set-p133209&gclid=CjwKCAjwzYDMBRA1EiwAwCv6JhLPAN8cfz_rrRn4W_6-KhL-mSjNaOREF-SOyQqDLaTWnhE5N_9ZkRoClA8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cut the plug off on one end and fit a connector to match and use a USB phone charger

I was hoping to avoid that and getting something I could plug into the end of the existing connector, I only want it under the seat so I'll just wire one of these in as well :D.

Just to start another debate, am I right in thinking the general consensus was it shouldn't drain the battery enough to cause any problems in the short term? Is that correct?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlueFire-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Scooter-Cigarette/dp/B01DBKZYC4/ref=pd_sbs_107_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M51BXQ896BR0W2D0CD1D

You would have to make something to plug in as I said above

If I find my setup I will bring it to the rally for you to look at

I went the cigar option as it gives you a bit of flexibility as to what you can plug into it ;-)

What you have linked to would be ideal and just put a connector on to plug in to the optimate cable

This is where I get stuck, I can't find those connectors. I think they're optimate's own, I've checked RS but not found what I need.

I cant see it as I'm at work and In the car today but I'm 99% sure it's this.

D10353CD23CDC6CE839AD2C9CB6673D243CEB2139CD2669AC826D2E5833393CDCA83CC269966C99B73F5CB.jpg

That's the older opti connection. Optimate do one that converts into a USB for the old type and new. They're about £7.99.