Motorway riding.

Throttled

I like to have a nice safety bubble on the motorway, I ride at a speed that keeps pace with the traffic, give lorries plenty of room, had a close call on the M1 in Leicestershire a few years ago, about to go past this lorry when it had a blow out, scared the shit out of me, always in the back of my mind now when i'm going round them.

I can imagine that was pretty scary. The closest I have been was about 1/2 mile behind a truck when the trailer tyre blew. It threw a cloud of dust and debris across the other two lanes and I remember thinking that if I had been alongside I could easily have been hit by a chunk of tyre - I rode through the wreckage a few seconds later and it didn't look pretty.

Regarding the comment above from Fozzie - I think that buying an Audi must have given you a sympathetic view of them :D . I still find that Audi drivers are the most consistent offenders when it comes to poor or aggressive driving.

It was a scary experience, thankfully the cars behind me were a good distance back, I was able to brake pretty damned hard and swerve into the outside lane, it was like a bomb going off, I had to stop at the next service station just to get myself back together.

I like to have a nice safety bubble on the motorway, I ride at a speed that keeps pace with the traffic, give lorries plenty of room, had a close call on the M1 in Leicestershire a few years ago, about to go past this lorry when it had a blow out, scared the shit out of me, always in the back of my mind now when i'm going round them.

I can imagine that was pretty scary. The closest I have been was about 1/2 mile behind a truck when the trailer tyre blew. It threw a cloud of dust and debris across the other two lanes and I remember thinking that if I had been alongside I could easily have been hit by a chunk of tyre - I rode through the wreckage a few seconds later and it didn't look pretty.

Regarding the comment above from Fozzie - I think that buying an Audi must have given you a sympathetic view of them :D . I still find that Audi drivers are the most consistent offenders when it comes to poor or aggressive driving.

I drive an Audi. If it could pull wheelies, trust me I would try!

I drive an Audi.

Oh dear, I’m so sorry to hear that. Have the doctors offered you any potential solutions? Are there pills or something?

Nar, they said I just have to live with it, but not to touch the indicator stalk as that will make it itchy

I drive an Audi.

Oh dear, I’m so sorry to hear that. Have the doctors offered you any potential solutions? Are there pills or something?

Nar, they said I just have to live with it, but not to touch the indicator stalk as that will make it itchy

It could be worse you could also be a cyclist.......

Motorway riding is 90% of my daily 100 mile commute. I like it because there are no cyclists. But, in place of the lycra is lorries overtaking lorries, overtaking lorries, overtaking lorries.

I find it hard to be able to sit amongst the moving traffic, so find myself in lane 3 almost the entire journey :shock: :angel12:

Been stuck in a 2000 1.9D Renault this past week (bloody alternator), so adds another hour to my commute. I miss my bike...

Lorries should be given a turbo boost function that lets them go over the speed restrictions just long enough to get past the slow truck in front, but can only be used maybe once per hour...

• 1 month later...

Just be thankful you actually have a motorway. This is the kinda crap I need to deal with on our main arterial route (should be a motorway, but can't cause "rural". And tractors use it. )

Screenshot_20170814-214911.png

Also, some turn offs are just that, 90 degree turn offs. No slip road, from a dual carriageway at 70mph, where loads of folk do 90.…

Also, the random far right lane that turns into a slip road for Cathedral on the M8 at Glasgow...catches a few folk out :lol: Screenshot_20170814-215035.png

Ha, ha, these are the Manx roads :-D