Routine oil change but found this.....

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

[mention]Foxy Stoat seeks Pig[/mention] is it springy or is it hard ?

if its hard its not a helicoil

a helicoil has a springy feel to it

The close ups aren't great but I'm not so sure it is a helicoil now!

@Foxy Stoat seeks Pig is it springy or is it hard ?

if its hard its not a helicoil

a helicoil has a springy feel to it

The close ups aren't great but I'm not so sure it is a helicoil now!

Excellent point, squeeze it and if it snaps or bends easily its definitely stripped sump thread .

There are 29 various Bandit sumps on the first 4 pages of eBay.

Wouldn't I need one for a Yahama FZ6 though? Geniune question, I'm not trying to be funny. :)

Ha ha , sorry mate, got my threads mixed up . Apart from getting the bike wrong I still hope the sump plate does come off with the engine in the frame so that you can give it to an engineer to Helicoil or get a replacement. I bet there are a few FZ6 sump plates available as well. For now though, if the plug tightened up ok then there's nothing to worry about until the next oil change.

Thanks Fastbob.

I have taken it out on a short run. I wiped round the sump nut when engine is hot with some blue roll and there was a very small (tiny) amount of oil residue. Certainly not a drip. I have got some RTV Silicone just in case I need it......just need to know how I use it now :oops:

Thanks Fastbob.

I have taken it out on a short run. I wiped round the sump nut when engine is hot with some blue roll and there was a very small (tiny) amount of oil residue. Certainly not a drip. I have got some RTV Silicone just in case I need it......just need to know how I use it now :oops:

Simples put it on the plug thread and screw it back in and let it set for the required time :). Worked a treat and I had a big crack on mine - oil was pissing out.

Ah I see, thanks. I was hoping I could just put some around the nut and washer without removing it :D . Taking the nut off would mean draining the sump again so also worried that the nut might not tightened next time around. Need the bike for work this week so reluctant to do it today. Just checked and still no drips from the nut.

Can you explain 'wire it to a sump bolt' . Thanks.

Drill a hole through adjacent flats on the sump nut and another nearby nut then slip a bit of stainless steel wire through them both.

Like this:

http://byrongliding.com/images/lockwire.gif

Why not mark the bolt and sump with a dab of yellow paint so you can check to ensure it hasn't moved ? I can fully understand why you want to leave it where it is for now . To loosen or remove it unnecessarily is tempting fate .