Gilera DNA help

Matt0503

Hi, im new here so bear with me please... 2 weeks ago j bought a 2004 Gilera DNA and it was in pieces, 2 problems im having is that i do t know where one pipe from the carb goes, its a Dellorto PHVA 17.5 carburetor, i know that 2 pipes are for water because its watercooled, 1 is for oil and 1 is for fuel... However im having a hard time finding where the pipe behind the water pipes goes. Ive been told that its for ‘Air’ but i have no clue as to what it means, im pretty sure it should be connected somewhere because there is a clip on the other end of the tube. Another problem im having is, that i cant manage to get any fuel in the combistion chamber... can this be caused by no seal onthe carb where the throttle cable is? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Welcome to TMBF mate. .....pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ........ 8-)

You may need to post some pics, so we can see what's going on. Are you getting fuel into the carb?.....is the extra pipe you're talking about the vacuum pipe for the petcock?

Hi, im new here so bear with me please... 2 weeks ago j bought a 2004 Gilera DNA and it was in pieces, 2 problems im having is that i do t know where one pipe from the carb goes, its a Dellorto PHVA 17.5 carburetor, i know that 2 pipes are for water because its watercooled, 1 is for oil and 1 is for fuel... However im having a hard time finding where the pipe behind the water pipes goes. Ive been told that its for ‘Air’ but i have no clue as to what it means, im pretty sure it should be connected somewhere because there is a clip on the other end of the tube. Another problem im having is, that i cant manage to get any fuel in the combistion chamber... can this be caused by no seal onthe carb where the throttle cable is? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Have a look at this: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1282058/Gilera-Dna-50.html#manual

JFGI........

Thanks for the wuick responses, i just joined but im already loving this community. I dont have a petcock on my bike, the fuel goes from a filter straight to a vacuum pump and then into the carb, yes iam getting fuel into the carb and when i take the filter off i can even feel it when i cover the end with my hand.

I font have a pic of the actual carb but i have found a similar one, i will attach it. The valve is in the same position, i know it may sound dumb but i havent really had motorbikes before and im quiet new to all of this. I hope you can help me........ as to the manual, i tried to look in one of them but couldnt find anything regarding the carburetor

5C884E2E-60B8-47BB-96B0-FFDC3710C8E5.thumb.jpeg.922727eb1570843e63bf7ca7ebe31bfd.jpeg

Ah thanks guys, i just came a from the garage and got the bike running, i took the whole carb off and gave it a good clean, i also noticed that on the cables of the electric choke there was a load of oil, i cleaned that out and now the bike started without a problem... could that have been a cause for the fuel to not get into the cylinder?? I now have a problem with the starter motor :scratch: i took the back plate from the belt off and gave the starter motor bit a good clean because it was knocking before, when i cleaned it today it stopped but after i started and stopped the bike, the same thing is now happening :shock:. Do i need to replace the whole starter motor or just the end that goes on the variator? Or is it possible to fix this issue?

Hi [mention]Matt0503[/mention] ,

So your 15 and you bought a bike in bits.......you managed to put it together AND get it running By Over coming what was probably the reason as to why it was sold in bits by the previous owner.

Your obviously planning to ride this on your 16th birthday right?

How far away is that...weeks ...months...a year?

Can you post a pick of the starter problem you have and we can pool our knowledge to try and fix the problem (& probably others to come) and have you ready to ride when your able to do so by law

Also Have you Considered training to be a mechanic yet? Because when I was 15 I was riding but wouldnt have been able to fix a bike at all !

Your a Very Obvious natural Petrol head and I have No doubt you will be a valuable member and able to help others in the up coming years with their bike problems seeing as you are capable already!

There are some very clever DIY mechanics on here that will willingly share Knowledge

Well Done on getting it running :thumb:

Glad you've got it running but please, please, please get hold of the Haynes manual for the bike (and if you can run to it, the manufacturers factory workshop manual) - money well spent and you can flog 'em if you sell the bike. Remember - knowledge is power! Anyway, well done. :thumb:

Thanks for the nice posts, i have been into fixing cars since i was 8 years old with my dad and have fixed many cars even myself since then, and im transfering my knowledge to motorbikes now with the help of the internet and the knowledge i already have

Yes i am planning to ride it when i turn 16 (3 months time)

I dont have a pic of the actual starter motor but i managed to find a one on ebay that is the same as mine, but it doesnt show the bit that expands and attaches to the variator, i will try to workout if its the starter motor or the bit tomorrow.

Also when i finish secondary school then im going to college to train for mechanics and engineering, as that is what i love doing. Im also trying to get the bike fully road legal and add a black and red vinyl wrap like the one on the picture because mine is blue right now. Thanks for the help i really appreciate the kind words.

As for the manual i dont think i will need one anymore because the bike is running now and i only need to put the last couple of pieces together, i will think about it if i get more problems, thanks anyways

B1E26728-3EAE-47D3-8A2E-7A3C3FE65F31.thumb.jpeg.e6e230feb6e9fab8c7d09440fced3679.jpeg

8F133D8F-4A3D-4696-9443-00F06192641C.thumb.png.ff4c3864197facff28c2ab8064c75472.png

Good Plan [mention]Matt0503[/mention] :thumb:

A little research shows that the engine is a water cooled PIAGGIO 50cc

it seems Piaggio only makes one 50cc water cooled engine

These Bikes use them

GILERA DNA 50,

GILERA RUNNER 50

APRILIA SR 50 LC 2004,

APRILIA SR 50 R 2005

DERBI GP1 REVOLUTION,

DERBI GP1 RACING 2005/06.

PIAGGIO NRG Mc2, NRG EXTREME, NRG Mc3, NRG POWER, QUARTZ, ZIP SP

Thats going to help ......instead of just looking for DNA answers

Is this the starter spline?

start.thumb.jpg.985f5d3191179a732f1cb40fd93dee8b.jpg

Wow, i left a reply here on sunday but i guess it didnt go through :scratch:. First of all i knew that it was a piaggio engine but everytime i was looking for a piaggio at least 1 thing was different from mine...

The starter motor seems to have fixed itself as it doesnt make the knocking sound anymore :lol:

As for the oil, its a 2 stroke so it mixes oil with fuel, before i started the bike i changed the 2 stroke oil out completely and even put some in the fuel itself because it takes a while for it to get from the pump to the carb and then the combustion chamber, ive done this because i just changed the piston on it and i wanted it to run as smooth as possible for the first few times.

I will probably be posting more posts and pics of this project. Thanks guys

As for the oil, its a 2 stroke so it mixes oil with fuel, before i started the bike i changed the 2 stroke oil out completely and even put some in the fuel itself because it takes a while for it to get from the pump to the carb and then the combustion chamber

Correct about 2-Stroke burning oil,

So you have to Add 2-stroke oil to either the petrol OR a small container that mixes it for you ......(you have that covered)

But as with Any engine it still needs motor oil to lubricate its internals.........the drain plug is Always on the lowest point of the engine underneath

It will probably only take a liter or so but without it the engine Wont last long,

Also as you know you need anti-freeze in the cooling system ........tap water Will damage the cooling system

2-stroke oil in the engine isnt a good idea either because of the viscosity 30w as opposed to 10w-40 it needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKxEj9UhFA

As for the oil, its a 2 stroke so it mixes oil with fuel, before i started the bike i changed the 2 stroke oil out completely and even put some in the fuel itself because it takes a while for it to get from the pump to the carb and then the combustion chamber

Correct about 2-Stroke burning oil,

So you have to Add 2-stroke oil to either the petrol OR a small container that mixes it for you ......(you have that covered)

But as with Any engine it still needs motor oil to lubricate its internals.........the drain plug is Always on the lowest point of the engine underneath

It will probably only take a liter or so but without it the engine Wont last long,

Also as you know you need anti-freeze in the cooling system ........tap water Will damage the cooling system

2-stroke oil in the engine isnt a good idea either because of the viscosity 30w as opposed to 10w-40 it needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMKxEj9UhFA

Errr.... Unless I have fallen into a parallel universe, 2-stroke engines are, and always have been, lubricated by the 2-stroke oil mixed with the fuel. There is NO lube oil in the crankcase - if there were, it would quickly be sucked out via the combustion chamber. Remember, in a 2-stroke, the crankcase forms part of the inlet tract. Only bit of the engine that requires oil separately is the gearbox.

Thats what this forum is for right? To gain knowledge... now you know and probably wont forget :D

Give me a multi cylinder 4 stroke bike and I will strip the engine down to its component parts and re build it

But ive never once given a second thought about how a 2-stroke works :oops:

• 4 years later...
On 14/12/2017 at 17:43, Matt0503 said:

I have a dna and petrol in tank but bike won't run I used another tank and put petrol pipe straight to carb started straight away so no petrol is getting to the carb the the fuel pump but if I suck other other pipe petrol flys out the put to carb again and nothing I don't know.what it's called but the a fuel pump and another thing and I don't know what pipes go to what 

Sounds like a vacuum operated fuel tap or similar. Sucking on the pipe opens the tap and fuel flows. These systems are normally operated via airflow to the carbs. 

Edited by billy sugger