honda cg engine problem

savo318

I took my bike to a garage the other day, for a general check over, not a service or anything like that.

the mechanic informed me that something was wrong with the pistons or the rings, cant remeber exactly what he said, but he told me it would rquire the engine being stripped and rebuilt. how much at a rough guesss would i expect to pay for that, he quoted me 450-500 quid.

Hi

Were you aware of a problem before he looked at it?

You rode it there?

Is it Smoking badly?

Using Oil?

Do you have very little power? I know its a 125 but you should be able to ride it without pulling away at 7000 rpm

Are they reputable?

Or are they trying to baffle you with jargon

And charge you for work that dosnt need doing?

I did a barrel, piston and rings on a CBF125 (same engine) for £60 of parts. So what in sweet moses are they charging £500 for? The engine can be removed in about an hour.

What were the reasons for a general check over? Usually you'd only take it in for a service or if there was a problem that needed repairing. If it's just a check over there's not much in it for them - I know some companies have a policy of instructing their mechanics to create extra work when customers come in for a low cost event.

Unless they gave a specific reason for their diagnosis I'd be very cautious - and with the price quoted I'd be doubly cautious.

£500 ? Someone's taking the piss . You could bolt one of these on in an afternoon with a few basic tools . The CG is probably the easiest four stroke bike in the world to work on because its got no cam chain or overhead cam shaft to worry about. Alternatively you could buy a genuine Honda oversize piston and rings and find a back street engineer specializing in rebores . Just give them the barrel and the new piston and they will know what to do . They will probably charge you no more than £50.

wp_ss_20180302_0005.thumb.png.a26302a28b49cf03a75bdfa2355a6d65.png

£500 ? Someone's taking the piss . You could bolt one of these on in an afternoon with a few basic tools . The CG is probably the easiest four stroke bike in the world to work on because its got no cam chain or overhead cam shaft to worry about. Alternatively you could buy a genuine Honda oversize piston and rings and find a back street engineer specializing in rebores . Just give them the barrel and the new piston and they will know what to do . They will probably charge you no more than £50.

I looked in to that for mine Bob - those Chinese clones don't fit right - apparently the sleeve is a few mm bigger than a pukka Japanese model and would need nipping down on a lathe to fit the crankcase.

I looked in to that for mine Bob - those Chinese clones don't fit right - apparently the sleeve is a few mm bigger than a pukka Japanese model and would need nipping down on a lathe to fit the crankcase.

Shame, oh well a simple re bore and piston it is then.