Brake fluid and oil level.

Phill

I have a Yamaha ybr125 and I've done 700 miles with it and I've noticed that the brake fluid is at the lower mark when the bike is on the centre stand and the handlebar is straight. Should I top it up? If yes, when should I stop?

And regarding the oil lever, I've noticed that when I got the bike the oil on the dipstick was nearly to the max level, now it sits at halfway between max and min. level. When should I worry? The oil is a dark brown colour, not black.

Thanks!e5f84dc7d8018fb839c73951ce320000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

First of all check your brake pads before topping up the brake fluid

As they wear then fluid goes down and when you put new pads in and push the pistons back in the caliper the fluid will rise

If the pads are good then top it up to just below max which should leave you enough room to compensate for the wear already taken place on the pads

As for the oil level you need to worry when its below min but you need to be topping it up before its gets to min ideally

Halfway between max and min is fine :)

What's the brake fluid level like when you're sat on the bike and it's upright?

Probably the same as when its on the centre stand and straight like it is now :lol: :lol:

I thought that, but doesn't the Centre stand tilt the front forward? That's why I asked :lol:

What's the brake fluid level like when you're sat on the bike and it's upright?

Probably the same as when its on the centre stand and straight like it is now :lol: :lol:

I thought that, but doesn't the Centre stand tilt the front forward? That's why I asked :lol:

I wouldn't say enough to make a difference to be honest

That looks OK depending on how worn the pads are. The reservoir should be as level as possible. If the pads are due to be changed, I wouldn't top up the oil level.

First of all check your brake pads before topping up the brake fluid

As they wear then fluid goes down and when you put new pads in and push the pistons back in the caliper the fluid will rise

If the pads are good then top it up to just below max which should leave you enough room to compensate for the wear already taken place on the pads

As for the oil level you need to worry when its below min but you need to be topping it up before its gets to min ideally

Halfway between max and min is fine :)

I think the problem might be that there is no MAX marking on the reservoir in question. Could do with a little top up . The main idea is to keep the bottom of the container covered with at least three quarters of an inch of brake fluid .

I think the problem might be that there is no MAX marking on the reservoir in question. Could do with a little top up . The main idea is to keep the bottom of the container covered with at least three quarters of an inch of brake fluid .

Well spotted

First time I have seen one without a max line on

Well spotted

The upper notch on the window edge is normally the max line ie to top of glass

I got some DOT4 today(as per manual, DOT 3 is fine aswell), i will top it up tomorrow or sunday, today is raining and i dont want to get the moisture in the brake system :mrgreen:.

I will top it up until the window is 'full' of brake fluid, i just need to get a syringe to do it accurate :lol:

I got some DOT4 today(as per manual, DOT 3 is fine aswell), i will top it up tomorrow or sunday, today is raining and i dont want to get the moisture in the brake system :mrgreen:.

I will top it up until the window is 'full' of brake fluid, i just need to get a syringe to do it accurate :lol:

You don't need a syringe, just pour it out of the bottle . Don't forget to leave room for the rubber diaphragm and take the precaution of covering the tank with a cloth in case of spillage . When you open the new bottle of brake fluid make two small holes in the foil cap for easy pouring . Like this

WP_20180309_17_47_36_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.483ff1f10492bf5962277a8d121f5d02.jpg

Edited by fastbob

Well spotted

It is a Chinese bike.

I don't think it's a Chinese knock off... they don't usually have FI, like the honley hd2 which( based on the newer ybr with the redesigned headlight) it was on carburettor.

I don't think it's a Chinese knock off... they don't usually have FI, like the honley hd2 which( based on the newer ybr with the redesigned headlight) it was on carburettor.

I'm not suggesting that its a knock off . As far as I know Yamaha YBR 125s are made in China .

Yeah that's true :).

Topped up my brake fluid. There wasn't much to top up anyways, like 10 mls. The reservoir was actually very full despite of the 'low" reading on the window.

caa2e9b24b13a222072d609532b3207d.jpg3db3ea5b69305a5e6f5ee87fe68df35d.jpg