Honda SS125

Managed to get into the garage and restart work on the Honda.

Got the rear wheel out, stripped all the spokes out and cleaned up the hub and brake back plate.

The cush rubbers are shot so went to David Silver thinking they were unique to the SS and then realised they are the same as a CG125. Quick scan on ebay and got a set for £10 less than DS.

New rim tape, inner tubes and tyres planned.

20210219_114328.jpg

20210219_122207.jpg

20210219_132846.jpg

• Like 1

I think I would have put the Cush drives in first and then masked them off . I use coins to mask circular things . Great work though . 

Edited by fastbob

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

I think I would have put the Cush drives in first and then masked them off . I use coins to mask circular things . Great work though . 

Lol, impatience got the better of me.

Bushes won't be here until Thursday.

Good tip on coins.

2 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Lol, impatience got the better of me.

Bushes won't be here until Thursday.

Good tip on coins.

Great for when you have to spray a clutch cover with a sight glass in it . 😉

• Like 1

@linuxrob lol, I got busted years ago by boiling a chain in grease in a tin on the cooker while OH was out. Although I cleared up, the smell of the grease gave me away.

Finished the rear wheel today, pretty happy with the run out ,around 1mm in both directions, manual says 3mm max which seems a lot to me. Ground the ends off the protruding spokes, fitted new tube tape and reassembled the brake.

New tyre should be here tomorrow.

Once the rear is back together, I'll take the front back out, paint the hub and fit the new tyre.

20210228_121544.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the new rear tyre and put the wheel back in the bike.

I think the inner tube manufacturers need to pay a bit more attention to the detail.

20210312_163329.jpg

20210312_163337.jpg

Edited by Bianco2564

9 hours ago, smallfrowne said:

Too subtle for me, I don't get it. Please ruin the joke

Makes you wonder, if they cannot get the spelling right, what must there quality control be? Nice "period" tyre there.

29 minutes ago, linuxrob said:

Makes you wonder, if they cannot get the spelling right, what must there quality control be? Nice "period" tyre there.

Indeed, time will tell on the quality. 

Yes I took a while to find the right looking tyres for the era, saw an SS for sale a while back with modern tyres on and it just spoilt the complete look of it. 

Wheeled the Honda outside to turn it around so I can get the front wheel out while its tucked up under the bench.

Fired it up for the first time in a year or so, even though the battery was flat it started, try that with an efi bike.

Considering its 51 years old, it still sounds like a sewing machine.

Might be the last picture of the Cavalier, should be selling it next Saturday after 17 years of ownership.

20210313_122526.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Wheeled the Honda outside to turn it around so I can get the front wheel out while its tucked up under the bench.

Fired it up for the first time in a year or so, even though the battery was flat it started, try that with an efi bike.

Considering its 51 years old, it still sounds like a sewing machine.

Might be the last picture of the Cavalier, should be selling it next Saturday after 17 years of ownership.

20210313_122526.jpg

Is it a special Cav?

I had to pretty much give mine away!

44 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

Is it a special Cav?

I had to pretty much give mine away!

3 litre V6, 205hp, light flywheel,uprated clutch. 14.4 sec 1/4 mile.

Sadly the shell is pretty rotten.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are these any good to you ? M6 X 20 . Zinc plated I think . I've got a few  bags of them . I believe they " Originated " from JLR . I've got some other styles as well . 

IMG_20210322_202650555.jpg

Edited by fastbob

@fastbob yes please, I'll have some of those.

I've also "collected" many std fasteners from engines we've stripped over the years that would have been chucked out, they are really handy for restorations.

Once covid allows will have to catch up.

1 hour ago, Bianco2564 said:

@fastbob yes please, I'll have some of those.

I've also "collected" many std fasteners from engines we've stripped over the years that would have been chucked out, they are really handy for restorations.

Once covid allows will have to catch up.

No worries , I'll be back on the road in a few weeks . Are you in Rugby ? 

Not so smart charger that I bought to charge the 6v Honda battery.

It was a new battery two years ago, rode the bike once to the Rugby bikefest and been parked up ever since.

Battery was unsurprisingly flat when I dragged it out last week , showed 0.5v so bought a cheap ebay "smart" charger that can autodetect 6,12 or 24v. Hooked it up to the battery and nothing happened.

Tried it on a 12v battery off the 380 and it worked fine.

So got old faithful off my Dad and after a quick boost the 6v battery perked up enough for the smart charger to start working.

Checked the battery tonight and its still showing 5.6v so with a good charge I'm hoping it will be ok.

Dads charger must be at least 50 years old, he's had it as long as I can remember.

20210324_193516.jpg

35 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Not so smart charger that I bought to charge the 6v Honda battery.

It was a new battery two years ago, rode the bike once to the Rugby bikefest and been parked up ever since.

Battery was unsurprisingly flat when I dragged it out last week , showed 0.5v so bought a cheap ebay "smart" charger that can autodetect 6,12 or 24v. Hooked it up to the battery and nothing happened.

Tried it on a 12v battery off the 380 and it worked fine.

So got old faithful off my Dad and after a quick boost the 6v battery perked up enough for the smart charger to start working.

Checked the battery tonight and its still showing 5.6v so with a good charge I'm hoping it will be ok.

Dads charger must be at least 50 years old, he's had it as long as I can remember.

20210324_193516.jpg

I read that you can convert a 12v charger into a 6v charger by wiring a 12v headlight bulb in series . Sounds feasible . 

Yes I read that too but not without risk, if you get it wrong you can overheat or blow up the battery.

New smart charger was only £12 off the bay and is a trickle charger aswell.

Just a shame it wouldn't pick the battery up from dead flat.