Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

On 28/02/2024 at 07:48, Mawsley said:

It is a morning. I’m yet to ascertain whether it’s good or not. 

It was good.

Im still in bed, so this one isn’t going badly.

• Like 2

quite amused by the last few days antics with a couple of sellers on eBay. In my bid to put together a new hifi system, I was looking at two CD players second hand. both mint and fairly recent. The first I made a not unreasonable offer for. and added a message that if my offer was accepted I would be able to collect the player either yesterday or on Sunday. The seller rejected my offer. and then yesterday he messaged me to ask if I was still interested. He has now relisted the item and said that the buyer pulled out. he can sod off.

The second was a really glamorous cd. made in Italy. and at a very good price. but the seller wanted to send it via Royal Mail!!! - I messaged them and said I was ready to do a buy it now, but I would rather collect it in person than risk it being dropped or thrown about in the post. the seller replied. "sorry I dont want anyone coming to my home." - no suggestion of any kind of an alternative, so I didn't bid. its still for sale. Plonker.

Overwrought at all this plonkerishness. I decided to delay the CD until step 3, I got an amplifier last month and paid for it, and yesterday I ordered Speakers and Stands and they arrive today. and of course.. as luck will have it, another CD player thats at the top of my wish list appeared on eBay at a really, really good price. but, hey ho - the deed is done and I'll have to pass. until next month. step by step its coming together. Im going to have to start thinking about cleaning all my cds as they have been gathering dust - literally. mostly untouched for almost 10 years - probably. aside from those that were copied onto the computer.

shame about the Italian. it was really lovely. with valves!!

Pathos-Digit-CD-Player.thumb.jpg.6fabc98888484b2bff7852504368158c.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
spolling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

quite amused by the last few days antics with a couple of sellers on eBay. In my bid to put together a new hifi system, I was looking at two CD players second hand. both mint and fairly recent. The first I made a not unreasonable offer for. and added a message that if my offer was accepted I would be able to collect the player either yesterday or on Sunday. The seller rejected my offer. and then yesterday he messaged me to ask if I was still interested. He has now relisted the item and said that the buyer pulled out. he can sod off.

The second was a really glamorous cd. made in Italy. and at a very good price. but the seller wanted to send it via Royal Mail!!! - I messaged them and said I was ready to do a buy it now, but I would rather collect it in person than risk it being dropped or thrown about in the post. the seller replied. "sorry I dont want anyone coming to my home." - no suggestion of any kind of an alternative, so I didn't bid. its still for sale. Plonker.

Overwrought at all this plonkerishness. I decided to delay the CD until step 3, I got an amplifier last month and paid for it, and yesterday I ordered Speakers and Stands and they arrive today. and of course.. as luck will have it, another CD player thats at the top of my wish list appeared on eBay at a really, really good price. but, hey ho - the deed is done and I'll have to pass. until next month. step by step its coming together. Im going to have to start thinking about cleaning all my cds as they have been gathering dust - literally. mostly untouched for almost 10 years - probably. aside from those that were copied onto the computer.

shame about the Italian. it was really lovely. with valves!!

Pathos-Digit-CD-Player.thumb.jpg.6fabc98888484b2bff7852504368158c.jpg

Even pre-loved that's almost what I paid for my bike....

I'm not ignorant enough to dismiss the incredible quality of build and components involved in the manufacturers and listeners quest for audio perfection.

I too would love such a  system.

The best chance I have of listening to reasonable audio is using some fairly good (to me) headphones, I was almost tearful when I got my headphones and the first thing I put through them was War of the Worlds......

2 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

Even pre-loved that's almost what I paid for my bike....

I'm not ignorant enough to dismiss the incredible quality of build and components involved in the manufacturers and listeners quest for audio perfection.

I too would love such a  system.

The best chance I have of listening to reasonable audio is using some fairly good (to me) headphones, I was almost tearful when I got my headphones and the first thing I put through them was War of the Worlds......

One of the benefits of a mortgage that's so close to being paid off.. I've stopped paying it for a year. apparently its generally a bad idea to not have a mortgage as your credit rating suffers. once its ceased to be. I owe (today) £213.56 and its not due until September next year. Though I might throw in a few quid here and there.

Also I have nobody nagging at me. "you can't buy that!!".

And sadly my outgoings have reduced somewhat with no 4 legged friend to feed anymore.

anyway, speakers have arrived and are out of their box. looking very pretty and strange on my sideboard. Kef LS50. white so they will kinda disappear once set up.

IMG_1730.thumb.JPG.9de0972f71aec5f85d6eb156f9ab4ce5.JPG

No council tax to pay either this month or next, so though Ive got them on 0% I'll likely pay them off next month. or near as dammit. Then start looking for a CD player or Transport.

Im quite good at being patient. sometimes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

One of the benefits of a mortgage that's so close to being paid off.. I've stopped paying it for a year. apparently its generally a bad idea to not have a mortgage as your credit rating suffers. once its ceased to be. I owe (today) £213.56 and its not due until September next year. Though I might throw in a few quid here and there.

Also I have nobody nagging at me. "you can't buy that!!".

And sadly my outgoings have reduced somewhat with no 4 legged friend to feed anymore.

anyway, speakers have arrived and are out of their box. looking very pretty and strange on my sideboard. Kef LS50. white so they will kinda disappear once set up.

IMG_1730.thumb.JPG.9de0972f71aec5f85d6eb156f9ab4ce5.JPG

No council tax to pay either this month or next, so though Ive got them on 0% I'll likely pay them off next month. or near as dammit. Then start looking for a CD player or Transport.

Im quite good at being patient. sometimes.

I've just spent an hour drooling over Hi-Fi that I can't afford, and wouldn't really get to listen to, and I'm blaming you 😆

• Haha 2

Fortunately as I'm next to tone deaf I can't tell the difference between music on a high end system or a pair of headphones on a phone. Saved myself thousands. 

Not sure about the lack of mortgage and credit rating - I've not had a mortgage for close on 20 years and my credit rating is as good as it gets really. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Fortunately as I'm next to tone deaf I can't tell the difference between music on a high end system or a pair of headphones on a phone. Saved myself thousands. 

Not sure about the lack of mortgage and credit rating - I've not had a mortgage for close on 20 years and my credit rating is as good as it gets really. 

You’re probably right. I read something and got muddled. It happens. Still, I’ll stick with the plan anyway. It makes me feel exceptionally smug to have a mortgage and stop paying it for a year. I think back to the years of struggle. Hard times at times. A different world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

You’re probably right. I read something and got muddled. It happens. Still, I’ll stick with the plan anyway. It makes me feel exceptionally smug to have a mortgage and stop paying it for a year. I think back to the years of struggle. Hard times at times. A different world.

A lot of the time having a mortgage gives life insurance too, so worth keeping a little owing.