Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

11 minutes ago, gaspoweredcat said:

Embrace the freedom of casual encounters on the best dating app in town!
Looking for my other half for the night
Genuine Females
Optimal casual Dating

I wouldn't bother.  The operative word there is CASUAL.   I contacted them and turned up at the RDV, toupee well stuck down, teeth in and matching shoes and damn, they never turned up !

That's really casual if you ask me !

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

Morning

rain GIF

Same here, I'm waiting in the straw barn for the rain to ease off a bit, it started getting heavy as I went to take the straps off my load of haylage.. 

20240514_093800.thumb.JPG.d37a46bff7b1609ea49bf381ec0ff84a.JPG

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 3

I wanted to work on a farm as a kid. It's got a mix of engineering and practical acumen that suits me. 

But it's easy to idealise it when you sit behind a screen all day, and only have Clarksons farm for reference :lol: 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I wanted to work on a farm as a kid. It's got a mix of engineering and practical acumen that suits me. 

But it's easy to idealise it when you sit behind a screen all day, and only have Clarksons farm for reference :lol: 

I wish I'd thought about farming 30 years ago...

Alas, we're not agricultural, we keep and breed horses, which isn't going that well and we lose a heck of a lot of money.

Feck me though, buggered if I'm going back to working in town, I used to fix computers before this, and despite being wet and frozen 6 months of the year, I wouldn't swap it.

I've got more friends here than when I lived in London, and we live miles from each other, and I much prefer being woken by blackbirds at 04:00, than drunk people kicking cars and fighting all night.

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Simon Davey said:

What about THESE

Ty - I realise now my work laptop is blocking all sponsored links so I only got to see the visor shop which literally only stocked 1 sort ...

• Like 1

Just got a quote from the local BMW dealer for some work 6k/12k mile service + tyre change which I'm supplying. I think I'm gonna look elsewhere - 

738.36 total - 

206.96 parts

408.34 labour

BMW.JPG

42 minutes ago, peepae said:

Just got a quote from the local BMW dealer for some work 6k/12k mile service + tyre change which I'm supplying. I think I'm gonna look elsewhere - 

738.36 total - 

206.96 parts

408.34 labour

BMW.JPG

Whilst that's not "cheap", I don't think it's too bad.

Changing out the fork oil, and also a complete brake fluid change, as well as all new spark plugs, removing and replacing wheels, etc etc No mean feat....

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Whilst that's not "cheap", I don't think it's too bad.

Changing out the fork oil, and also a complete brake fluid change, as well as all new spark plugs, removing and replacing wheels, etc etc No mean feat....

I'm just wondering if it's necessary to change out the fork oil?  - I thought that was mostly fine unless u feel something is off

Edited by peepae
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, peepae said:

I'm just wondering if it's necessary to change out the fork oil?  - I thought that was mostly fine unless u feel something is off

Yes I agree, brake fluid every 2 years though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peepae said:

Based on every bike I've ever done, no one else ever changes out their fork oil regularly. The stuff usually comes out looking like something from a swamp, and with a smell to boot sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Based on every bike I've ever done, no one else ever changes out their fork oil regularly. The stuff usually comes out looking like something from a swamp, and with a smell to boot sometimes. 

Does this mean you think people should do this or it's fine to leave it until there's an issue? :D 

• Confused 1

Changing fork oil is pretty simple so why wouldn't you do it regularly?

I change mine every 10k, though the Bobber I did at 7k whilst I was fitting new springs. Even at that mileage the old oil was showing signs of getting mucky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Changing fork oil is pretty simple so why wouldn't you do it regularly?

I change mine every 10k, though the Bobber I did at 7k whilst I was fitting new springs. Even at that mileage the old oil was showing signs of getting mucky.

Noooooooooooooo, that's something else I need to do to my bike now.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, peepae said:

Does this mean you think people should do this or it's fine to leave it until there's an issue? :D 

I think most people leave it and get away with it. I however tend to lean towards doing things pre-emptively.

Had some bikes where the fork seals were original to 20+ year old suspension that had clearly rarely, if ever had the oil changed. My SV650 is likely the same, and is 13 years old, although I'm planning on refreshing the suspension this year. I tend to avoid doing it unless I'm in the area for something else, like the head bearings, or the brakes. 

If you're bike is quite young, from experience you'll get away with it. But I wouldn't wait until it's a problem down the line, I'd draw a line in the sand like 5 years or 20k, which ever comes first. You'll know when you dump the old oil out whether you left it too long, as it will look pretty nasty. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I think most people leave it and get away with it. I however tend to lean towards doing things pre-emptively.

Had some bikes where the fork seals were original to 20+ year old suspension that had clearly rarely, if ever had the oil changed. My SV650 is likely the same, and is 13 years old, although I'm planning on refreshing the suspension this year. I tend to avoid doing it unless I'm in the area for something else, like the head bearings, or the brakes. 

If you're bike is quite young, from experience you'll get away with it. But I wouldn't wait until it's a problem down the line, I'd draw a line in the sand like 5 years or 20k, which ever comes first. You'll know when you dump the old oil out whether you left it too long, as it will look pretty nasty. 

Thanks, I will almost certainly not be doing it myself but I will be asking the mechanic if it smelled like dog feet or roses.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I change the fork oil on my old Yamaha TDM 850 every year, usually having clocked another 10-12000 km.  I use a decent brand of ATF.  However I'm always puzzled by the fact that the amount of oil  I drain from  the forks is always much less than I put in ?  And it is definitely well contaminated going by the colour and smell.  There are no leaking seals and no vents to atmosphere, so where does the oil go ?

I do notice an improvement in the action of the forks with fresh oil .

• Like 2