Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

11 hours ago, Bender said:

Christmas does not start till December, November is not Christmas in any way shape or form.

For those who wish to display decorations, lights, Christmas trees, dancing reindeer etc for extended periods of time let it be known that whilst Christmas starts on 25th December and runs for 12 days until Epiphany on 6th January it is acceptable to extend the display of Christmas items until Candlemas which is on 2nd February. 

The habit of displaying Christmas items in November or early December is simply ignorant.  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

For those who wish to display decorations, lights, Christmas trees, dancing reindeer etc for extended periods of time let it be known that whilst Christmas starts on 25th December and runs for 12 days until Epiphany on 6th January it is acceptable to extend the display of Christmas items until Candlemas which is on 2nd February. 

The habit of displaying Christmas items in November or early December is simply ignorant.  

It's all part of the me me me look at me Facebook disease, with a bit of Instagram  contagion thrown in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bender said:

It's all part of the me me me look at me Facebook disease, with a bit of Instagram  contagion thrown in.

Paradoxically, many of those types call you miserable for that view. And I qualify that with the fact I've seen it up close more than once. 

I briefly dated a girl who had 60k subscribers, who treated her personality as a brand, and constantly tried to manage her mood as if she was trying to keep in character. Was bizarre. Although I think the worst is when someone's obsession comes from insecurity, as those types have moments where they realise the gulf between the person they present vs who they are, and they can be explosive putting it mildly. So I think they are more miserable on balance. Going to be interesting seeing its effects on kids be realised over time, as it did a number on a few people I've known.

It also takes Easter/Halloween/Christmas and cheapens them. Seeing friends with their kids celebrating is fine, but there's an obvious line between that and the ones who have to do things bigger than everyone and boast, or write a post as if they are doing an advert for a sponsor. 

But enough of being a Grinch. Good evening! (It's dark, I'm call it evening). 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Paradoxically, many of those types call you miserable for that view. And I qualify that with the fact I've seen it up close more than once. 

I briefly dated a girl who had 60k subscribers, who treated her personality as a brand, and constantly tried to manage her mood as if she was trying to keep in character. Was bizarre. Although I think the worst is when someone's obsession comes from insecurity, as those types have moments where they realise the gulf between the person they present vs who they are, and they can be explosive putting it mildly. So I think they are more miserable on balance. Going to be interesting seeing its effects on kids be realised over time, as it did a number on a few people I've known.

It also takes Easter/Halloween/Christmas and cheapens them. Seeing friends with their kids celebrating is fine, but there's an obvious line between that and the ones who have to do things bigger than everyone and boast, or write a post as if they are doing an advert for a sponsor. 

But enough of being a Grinch. Good evening! (It's dark, I'm call it evening). 

Then miserable I shall be till our tree goes up next month, bahhh humbug.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

OK....so who is a big kid excited about celebrating Dr Who's 60th anniversary?

I am majorly chuffed at the excellent David Tennant making a return. 

Bring back William Hartnell

(Time lords never die they just regenerate)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, janinej said:

Good evening everyone.  Its supposed to be dry this weekend.  Anyone planning a ride out?

JJ x

I'm riding home from Northumberland.  Another 300 odd miles of bum numbing motorway probably although I might come off at Leicester and do the Fosse Way, weather permitting. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I'm riding home from Northumberland.  Another 300 odd miles of bum numbing motorway probably although I might come off at Leicester and do the Fosse Way, weather permitting. 

You could come down the A1 and pick up the Fosse Way from Newark - Not so boring but quite a bit slower.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

You could come down the A1 and pick up the Fosse Way from Newark - Not so boring but quite a bit slower.

I know and I've done it before but it almost doubles the journey time and in summer that's fine but don't really fancy the last hundred miles or so on potentially icy unlit roads.