Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

4 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

At least you weren't hoping to go anywhere in January.  Hope for you that September is a go.

im booking fook all for next year, this aint going away any time soon.

• Like 2

I've been driving my little MX-5 with just one functioning key since I bought it a couple of years ago, as I discovered a few weeks later that the spare that came in the pack was knackered and the (independent) dealer refused to replace it. The fact that they didn't tell me was apparently irrelevant as I "should have physically checked the spare key before I bought the car".

Anyway, I had the car serviced by my local Mazda dealer last week and decided to bite the bullet at the same time as I'd be fooked if I lost the one key that I have. A pretty standard transponder key with remote fob and it's costing me £200, FFS!! Tried some other sources and I can't get it any cheaper, but it seems that this is much the standard price across various manufacturers. Daylight bloody robbery 🤬

12 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

At least you weren't hoping to go anywhere in January.  Hope for you that September is a go.

Theres little point in worrying just now.. but my heart goes out to all those people who are trapped on both sides of the channel. so close to Christmas and stuck and then having to deal with the backlog once the ferries planes and tunnel restart.. that's assuming they do. Looks to me like mainland Europe is seriously freaked out by this new strain of the virus. Is this what the leave campaign meant by taking back control of our borders?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, learningtofly said:

I've been driving my little MX-5 with just one functioning key since I bought it a couple of years ago, as I discovered a few weeks later that the spare that came in the pack was knackered and the (independent) dealer refused to replace it. The fact that they didn't tell me was apparently irrelevant as I "should have physically checked the spare key before I bought the car".

Anyway, I had the car serviced by my local Mazda dealer last week and decided to bite the bullet at the same time as I'd be fooked if I lost the one key that I have. A pretty standard transponder key with remote fob and it's costing me £200, FFS!! Tried some other sources and I can't get it any cheaper, but it seems that this is much the standard price across various manufacturers. Daylight bloody robbery 🤬

i use a place , you send your key to them , they then ring you and tell you how much repair to it is , ive used them 4 or 5 times , most its cost me for a key to be fixed is £30, got their number if you want it .

8 minutes ago, learningtofly said:

A pretty standard transponder key with remote fob and it's costing me £200, FFS!! Tried some other sources and I can't get it any cheaper, but it seems that this is much the standard price across various manufacturers. Daylight bloody robbery 🤬

New key for my bike is £70.54 and then there is the cost of having it programmed to work. £40

17 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

New key for my bike is £70.54 and then there is the cost of having it programmed to work. £40

Yes, I was quoted the same price for a key for my Thruxton when I thought the spare had been lost. However, I'm talking about car transponder keys with remote fobs. Unfortunately they seem to be a lot more expensive than bike keys.

Edited by learningtofly

7 minutes ago, Six30 said:

i use a place , you send your key to them , they then ring you and tell you how much repair to it is , ive used them 4 or 5 times , most its cost me for a key to be fixed is £30, got their number if you want it .

My key can't be repaired, unfortunately. I've tried two independent key suppliers and both wanted £230 but in any event couldn't source the fob at the moment.

Just now, learningtofly said:

My key can't be repaired, unfortunately. I've tried two independent key suppliers and both wanted £230 but in any event couldn't source the fob at the moment.

worth a phone call , they are pretty good.

10 hours ago, MarkW said:

The photograph in question is called ‘Aid from the Padre’ and was taken by Hector Rondon during the El Porteñazo uprising in Venezuela in 1962.

Aid_from_padre_1.jpg.4647490fc2169febe524d3108e6b5e3a.jpg

Rondon had been pinned down by sniper fire for almost an hour when he saw Navy chaplain Luis Manuel Padilla roaming the streets, giving the last rites to dead and dying soldiers. This image is of him supporting a wounded government soldier as he tries to get to his feet, and a few moments after it was taken the chaplain was driven back by gun fire, and the soldier was killed.

As a young teenager what struck me about this photograph was the obvious and chilling fact that it captures someone’s last desperate moments, and that despite the effort with which the solider is clinging to the chaplain – and to life – a few seconds later it was all over; the noise which has drawn the chaplain’s attention is the sound of his imminent and violent death.

The photograph won the World Press Photo of the Year award in 1962 and the Pulitzer Prize in 1963. Padilla was hailed as a hero – something he rejected with all the false modesty of those who believe they are on intimate terms with the creator of the universe. He later said that as a chaplain he knew that the Catholic ‘enemy’ soldiers would neither have shot him nor obeyed any order to do so, and that at no point did he fear for his life.

That made me start to look at the photograph rather differently. I wondered why, if he felt so secure, the chaplain had done nothing to try to stop the murder of this man. Nobody ever knows how they will behave under such circumstances of course, but I hoped that if I had been in his position I would have interposed myself to try to stop it, to explain to the advancing enemy that his war was over, and there was nothing more to be gained by killing him. Whatever I may have done, I know myself well enough to know that there is no way I could abandon a fellow human being who was clinging to me like that in his most desperate moments. But Padilla dropped him like a brick the moment he heard the gunfire, scuttled back and left him to be cut to pieces by the bullets. To me the photograph became a metaphor for the false consolation of religion, and the immorality of anyone who could believe that when someone needs genuine help and you are in a position to provide it, that meaningless magic incantations provide any sort of substitute for the most basic aspects of our humanity.

I remember that photo well because I didn’t understand it. I asked why the man was there and my dad saying something along the lines of “he’s earning points so he can get into heaven but it’s unlikely he really knows why he’s there himself” at the time I didn’t understand that either. 
At that point in my childhood at my religious school I’d only learnt religious people weren’t kind or nice but harsh, judgmental and prone to occasionally hitting you, if something bad happened to you you probably in some way brought it on yourself so I really couldn’t understand why he was trying to help. I thought if god or their mum or dad was there they would definitely be ashamed of killing people and wouldn’t do it. 
No-ones ever tried it though have they? “If you kill a single other person, you’ll go straight to your room, no pudding” Im must contact NATO with my childhood plan for peace, I think it’s got legs 😂 
I haven’t thought about the photo since then, interesting additional info and quite a surprise memory. 

That’s not designed to inflame the faith section of this forum, it’s just the musings of a kid. 

I thought you were going to say Napalm Girl. I was about the same age as the girl in the photo when I saw it and it changed my view of the world for ever before then I had no comprehension that people could do such bad things to each other. Cue my poor dad trying to nicely explain what psychopaths are and empathy means but that’s a whole ‘nother kettle of fish. I still feel a bit sick when I think about that photo now. 
  • Like 1

Whilst we're on the subject I have stared down the barrel of an automatic weapon in the hands of the militia in what was then Zaire who were trying to abduct a man so they could steal his truck. My hunch was shooting me would cause them more hassle than the truck was worth but it was an unpleasant several hours.

I had no thoughts why I was doing this other than another human being was in trouble and I was in a privileged position to try to help him.

In the end we both got out in one piece. With truck but without our belongings, other than a case of beer underneath the back seat that they didn't find. And an umbrella.

It is nobody's business what motivates such things, my reason is good enough for me. Nobody was taking photographs. Nobody but us (and now you load of reprobates) ever knew. 

It is why I try not to judge other people's motives, because we never really know what it is like to stand in their shoes.

I was very glad of the umbrella because a few miles further on we were attacked by bandits who climbed onto the back of the truck and we were able to beat them off with the umbrella. It was all a bit surreal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Whilst we're on the subject I have stared down the barrel of an automatic weapon in the hands of the militia in what was then Zaire who were trying to abduct a man so they could steal his truck. My hunch was shooting me would cause them more hassle than the truck was worth but it was an unpleasant several hours.

I had no thoughts why I was doing this other than another human being was in trouble and I was in a privileged position to try to help him.

In the end we both got out in one piece. With truck but without our belongings, other than a case of beer underneath the back seat that they didn't find. And an umbrella.

It is nobody's business what motivates such things, my reason is good enough for me. Nobody was taking photographs. Nobody but us (and now you load of reprobates) ever knew. 

It is why I try not to judge other people's motives, because we never really know what it is like to stand in their shoes.

I was very glad of the umbrella because a few miles further on we were attacked by bandits who climbed onto the back of the truck and we were able to beat them off with the umbrella. It was all a bit surreal.

Well that is very eventful! Happy you got the beer back 😆

I don’t quite agree with what motivates these things being nobodies business though. 
Understanding what motivates people to act (in good or bad ways) is precisely what’s interesting. 
Understanding someone’s motives and sharing them can improve us or help us understand where something went wrong.
Doesn’t Christianity have a bit to say about ‘acting from a loving motive’? Agape n all that jazz. 

My view on it is who knows but it’s not a lot of moola to book up and after having all of this years plans cancelled I’d rather have some mobike travel booked up and enjoy looking forward to it.

Any which way the pleasure of looking forward to it will balm itchy feet and outweigh any possible disappointment if it can’t go ahead. With some things the longer you wait the sweeter they are. 

3FEB8A64-0121-4DA2-823F-38EF346DB87B.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You didn't abandon your man when you were in a position to help him. Padilla did. That's the difference.

I imagine that your actions were motivated by your fundamental humanity, and not a little courage. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice if you suggested that they were in any way a consequence of your faith: actions motivated by the hope of reward or the fear of punishment can't make any claims to morality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well that is very eventful! Happy you got the beer back 😆

I don’t quite agree with what motivates these things being nobodies business though. 
Understanding what motivates people to act (in good or bad ways) is precisely what’s interesting. 
Understanding someone’s motives and sharing them can improve us or help us understand where something went wrong.
Doesn’t Christianity have a bit to say about ‘acting from a loving motive’? Agape n all that jazz. 

I don't don't want to get into this too much to be honest - and you're right that understanding other people's motives is important. At the time I understood why the men in the militia were acting as they did, their lot in life was much worse than my very priveleged background. I think I just want to say give people the benefit of the doubt and be a bit more gracious and charitable rather than issues blanket condemnations just because people think and believe differently.

The fact that shooting a white priest would cause a load of hassle doesn't make me any braver or better than anyone else. I was just the most priveleged person there and I could use my position to help someone else. Why I did it isn't for anybody else to have an opinion about. I think anyone in the same position would usually do the same. Doesn't make me better than anyone else - but neither does it make me any worse. 

• Like 1

You can’t really stick stuff on an open forum and expect people not to have an opinion on it.

My MiL likes to précis provocative statements or orders with “I’m just going to say this and then I don’t want to discuss it after” 🙄 Needless to say I now have nothing to do with her, but I digress. 

This bit though I’m completely on board with 

“I think I just want to say give people the benefit of the doubt and be a bit more gracious and charitable rather than issues blanket condemnations just because people think and believe differently.”

Sounds like the words of a travelled man, although sadly that tolerance isn’t one Ive experienced in religion.

Sometimes I post something and then think, I don’t really want to talk about that. So with that in mind fair enough. 

Anyone know why print is different colours? I’m typing it directly into the reply box? Also what happened to the sharp emojis? Why are the blobbies back?

Girl On A Motorcycle film is on Christmas Eve.
Apparently it’s dire but I’m a sucker for anything with motorbikes in it so I’m gonna watch it. My finger even hovered over the record button on a hairy bikers programme but I couldn’t do it, I just can’t stomach two adults talking like they’re on a children’s programme 😆

Thought some of the crusties here might want to know purely because I’m told it’s got Marianne Faithful in the nud in it, if that sort of thing floats your boat. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Girl On A Motorcycle film is on Christmas Eve.
Apparently it’s dire but I’m a sucker for anything with motorbikes in it so I’m gonna watch it. My finger even hovered over the record button on a hairy bikers programme but I couldn’t do it, I just can’t stomach two adults talking like they’re on a children’s programme 😆

Thought some of the crusties here might want to know purely because I’m told it’s got Marianne Faithful in the nud in it, if that sort of thing floats your boat. 

It is dire.....but over the years it's acquired a bit of a cult following.

But I can confirm that there are no Mars Bars involved!

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

...but I digress. 

This bit though I’m completely on board with 

“I think I just want to say give people the benefit of the doubt and be a bit more gracious and charitable rather than issues blanket condemnations just because people think and believe differently.”

Ooh, digressions - I like those! :classic_biggrin:

An entreaty to be gracious and charitable sounds good, but it diverts us from my fundamental point which is that doing f*ck all to help someone in need still constitutes f*ck all even if it’s being done in a cassock.

When I first saw that image I assumed I was looking at a brave chaplain dodging bullets in order to help a wounded soldier. But the reality, as told by the chaplain himself, puts an entirely different complexion on things. He didn’t feel that he was in any real danger, and whatever it was he was doing wasn’t of any genuine utility: at the most critical moment he shook himself loose of the soldiers grip and skedaddled, leaving him alone on the tarmac to await his death. I can imagine the padre saying “My child, I am here to offer you every assistance, short of actual help.”