Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

On 21/12/2020 at 16:44, learningtofly said:

For me, at least, it raises interesting questions in respect of art itself. For example, is the photo lesser for knowing the background of it? I know I feel differently about it than I did.

I suppose a bigger question might be whether something becomes art purely as a consequence of a viewers perception of it. A bit like the tree falling in the forest. 

I was going to respond to this very interesting question, but in light of current evidence I am too much of a knob for anything I say about photography to be worth a damn.

I took the kids to Yorkshire Sculpture Park today to try out the cameras they got for Christmas, and grabbed my trusty old Nikon FM2 as I headed out of the front door. I keep it permanently loaded with Tri-X in case I ever get the call from McCullin asking me to cover the latest military conflict because he's too busy photographing bowls of fruit and dead pheasants, or whatever it is he gets up to these days. Anyway, pausing only to check that the green filter was screwed on and that I had enough ammo for a full day's action I chucked it in my bag and headed off.

There were only four or five shots taken on the film that was already in the camera, and I got some cracking shots on the last 30 or so frames. I wound it back, opened the door and out popped a roll of Velvia. God alone knows what that was doing in there, but they'll look lovely, won't they - shot at 400 with a green filter. £18 a roll, too...

😫

Edited by MarkW

45 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I was going to respond to this very interesting question, but in light of current evidence I am too much of a knob for anything I say about photography to be worth a damn.

I took the kids to Yorkshire Sculpture Park today to try out the cameras they got for Christmas, and grabbed my trusty old Nikon FM2 as I headed out of the front door. I keep it permanently loaded with Tri-X in case I ever get the call from McCullin asking me to cover the latest military conflict because he's too busy photographing bowls of fruit and dead pheasants, or whatever it is he gets up to these days. Anyway, pausing only to check that the green filter was screwed on and that I had enough ammo for a full day's action I chucked it in my bag and headed off.

There were only four or five shots taken on the film that was already in the camera, and I got some cracking shots on the last 30 or so frames. I wound it back, opened the door and out popped a roll of Velvia. God alone knows what that was doing in there, but they'll look lovely, won't they - shot at 400 with a green filter. £18 a roll, too...

😫

Bugger. Maybe a pro lab could salvage it if they know in advance what you did?

3 hours ago, learningtofly said:

Bugger. Maybe a pro lab could salvage it if they know in advance what you did?

I'll probably just toss the roll to be honest and chalk it up to an addled brain.

I only remember doing something similar once before when I shot a roll of b&w thinking it was colour. That roll actually ended up producing one of my favourite images, but the print I made from it is long gone and I don't fancy trying to find the negative now - it was over 30 years ago!

4 hours ago, MarkW said:

😫

Velvia, that’s expensive sounding toilet paper. 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just had to cancel today's ride. Both guys near me can't get out of the village due to black ice everywhere. I can't even get as far as the road. The slope up the driveway is sheet ice. 

:classic_sad::classic_sad:

Roads were icy at 9.30 this morning here.....-6 forecast for tonight!

Afternoon everybody, to top off being put into isolation today, I've just received an email telling me that my DAS training due to start on the 4th Jan has been cancelled for a second time. This is really dumb as I can still book the actual test itself! 

Fish

• Sad 1

On 29/12/2020 at 19:10, MarkW said:

😫

During my very active photography years, I used Jessops own brand film which was on par with most of the other regular film.

When I took  in a roll for developing you got a roll of film free as part of the processing, anyway it got to a point where I had amassed a rather large collection of film. One summer I went on a bit of a binge and photographed anything and everything to use the film before it expired. I will never forget the look on Graham's face when I emptied a bag of 73 rolls of film to be developed on the counter 🤣

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dynax said:

During my very active photography years, I used Jessops own brand film which was on par with most of the other regular film.

When I took  in a roll for developing you got a roll of film free as part of the processing, anyway it got to a point where I had amassed a rather large collection of film. One summer I went on a bit of a binge and photographed anything and everything to use the film before it expired. I will never forget the look on Graham's face when I emptied a bag of 73 rolls of film to be developed on the counter 🤣

I lost faith in Jessop's when I bought a camera from them that they guaranteed was completely foolproof. I was therefore able to happily record our daughter being inducted into the Brownies. I took lots of pictures, only to then find you were meant to put film into the camera. Clearly the camera was not as foolproof as sold.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dynax said:

Oh I remember that! I shot slide film (usually Velvia) almost exclusively for years back in the days when you didn't need to remortgage your house to pay for it, and every time I handed a film in to Jessops for processing they gave me a roll of their print film in return. I gave most of them to my wife or our neighbours, but a couple of years ago I found around 50 rolls in the back of a cupboard that were years out of date. I know a lady who is into the whole lomography thing so I gave them to her.

These days almost all my colour stuff is digital due to the insane cost of processing, although I do tend to keep one of my 645 backs loaded with Ektar - just in case inspiration strikes...

• Like 1

I was outside earlier when I heard a solid thump and saw a car skidding off the hill, narrowly missing a tree, then crashing through the hedge and landing in the field next to the house.

Traffic going up the hill saw it happen and just carried on. No-one stopped to help the driver. My wife and I ran up the hill with a blanket and fortunately the driver seemed to be ok though was pretty shocked.

What happened to the days of stopping to make sure someone was safe after a crash?

• Like 1

Guest Swagman
Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I was outside earlier when I heard a solid thump and saw a car skidding off the hill, narrowly missing a tree, then crashing through the hedge and landing in the field next to the house.

Traffic going up the hill saw it happen and just carried on. No-one stopped to help the driver. My wife and I ran up the hill with a blanket and fortunately the driver seemed to be ok though was pretty shocked.

What happened to the days of stopping to make sure someone was safe after a crash?

People have become selfish bxxtards is all.😤